RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states don't require titles or registration. DMVs in states that do require them are use to dealing with such situations.
The one thing you definitely DO NOT want to do is remove all idenfication and try to pass it off as home built. There's no need to commit a felony which is what that is. You would most likely be without a trailer for a while after such a stunt as they try to shift thru it. Or you may be without a trailer permanently. We (the police) seized trailers all the time for such antics and you don't want the legal hassle. Boat trailer thefts are big business.
Generally what you will need from the seller is a notarized bill of sale which includes the seller's name, address, telephone is helpful, VIN, make, model, year, and color. If the seller still has his original bill of sale from when he bought it that would be good too. You should also contact your state's DMV before bringing it in state to see if they require additional documentation. It's a simple process. You just don't want to get jammed up by doing something really stupid.

Camped in every state

dusterrm

Richmond

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT IS STOLEN....PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF SAVING LIVES AND YOUR PROPERTY....SEE THIS..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlP_mCy8i20

Then See this..

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Stolen_Trailers_Page.html

Did you know that you can destroy anybody in 15 states with a unregistered trailer...the mob and Tony Saparino Should know...

One popular scam is to buy a manufactured trailer, insure it, then remove the VIN and report it as stolen. Re-branding it as a homemade trailer with a new license plate can be as simple as filing bogus paperwork with another state.

Melancon did this recently to prove his point. He applied from Virginia for a Maine trailer license with a fabricated VIN (ST467OL499EN17I99AM). For a $50 fee, he received his license plate in the mail with official documentation. Apparently no one noticed the message hidden in the VIN if you remove the numbers: STOLEN I AM.

dusterrm

Richmond

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes......in OVER 10 states you can drive a trailer and not have ANY identification on it!!!!!!

It is like a terrorist shooting a missle at your car on the highway.

An unregistered, unispected and homemade trailer is terror on the highway.

Here are the families.........only our organization has kept track....

no GOVERNMENT AGENCY CARES...

You do!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM1I-tDixzo

* 2 lifes

http://thehadenfamily.blogspot.com/

* 1 life

http://thefrommfamily.blogspot.com/

* 1 life....look at the video
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJEXaSaLbOA
* The son made the video......

http://yorkcountycrimestoppers.blogspot.com/

* 1 life she died.....

NOBODY HAS PUT IT ALL TOGETHER EXCEPT US.... AND NOW

YOU!!!!!

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Melancon did this recently to prove his point. He applied from Virginia for a Maine trailer license with a fabricated VIN (ST467OL499EN17I99AM). For a $50 fee, he received his license plate in the mail with official documentation. Apparently no one noticed the message hidden in the VIN if you remove the numbers: STOLEN"

In Montana, you could not do that. When you apply to title a homemade trailer, the state MVD assigns the VIN. It will probably begin with "SNTR" and end with "MT". Then you must stamp the numbers on the trailer in the proper place according to the law, have a LEO inspect it and sign the inspection documentation, and THEN you can make the final title application and register the trailer.

No, just because it doesn't have a title does NOT mean it is stolen.
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of homemade trailers on the roadways of this state and nation. A title and license plate will not make them any safer. I question whether they are, in fact, any less safe than a factory built trailer. In fact, the only fatality I remember around here was due to a factory built trailer!
I don't think the panic is justified.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But we're not talking about a homemade trailer. We're talking about deliberately falsifying the record of a factory built unit.

This is illegal in most states (except Montana???).

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is common to re-vin a trailer here in Florida. I even had a clerk at DMV tell me how this can be done. Here there are NO Titles for Utility or Boat trailers only registrations. If a trailer has been off the road for more than a couple of years this is what you need to do.

As for me, anytime that I have purchased a New Utility or Boat Trailer I keep the Certificate of Origin in a safe place and give it to the new owner. Now there is nothing to stop someone from using these Certificates on a different (Stolen) trailer.

As for me I have not heard of a rash of people losing their trailers in my area and I do not have a problem with doing this and following the State Law in doing so.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

But we're not talking about a homemade trailer. We're talking about deliberately falsifying the record of a factory built unit.

Is it?
Please, prove it.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Is it?
Please, prove it.

Okay...VIN switching

But I can't find the one that says it's legal in Montana...guess I'll leave the proof of that to you!

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't reason with some. Some claim to have a family member who is in LE and they claim that somehow instills in them thru DNA or family connection or osmosis that they too know the law. No need trying to convince them otherwise. They know because they just know and they'll continue to post erroneous information trying to convince you that they know. Don't bet the farm on it. Their "legal knowledge" sure isn't a defense in court.
Contact your DMV. Transferring vehicles between states is very common and they know how to deal with it. It's not a big job as long as you follow their rules. Try doing something really dumb like peeling off a vin plate/sticker and you could very well end up with a felony charge. The right way to do it is simple. The wrong way to do it is criminal. Your choice.

N3YMY

Brunswick, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoveTwoCamp wrote:

I am thinking of buying a boat and trailer from South Carolina. However, the seller states that SC does not require a title, or plates, on boat trailers, so he has neither.

It is too late today to contact Pennsylvania DMV, so I thought I might try for some insight from the RV group.

I have never heard of trailer without a title; is this normal in SC?

If this correct, how does one get a title for Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvanian living in MD.

When we bought out PWCs in FL a few years ago, the trailer and the water craft had no titles. MVA was able to figure out that trailers under GVW 3000 and less than 500 unladen weight in FL was not title able and was more than happy to title the trailer.

MD DNRP was able to figure out the same for the water craft.

Guess my point is, if MVA can figure it out, PennDOT can.

(it has been my experience that MVA is a bunch of hard a**ses that are paid to say no; never had the problem with PennDOT)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Buying a South Carolina Boat Trailer, no title no plate??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.