|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Way too much Sway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ldeane

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great responses all thanks so much! I do actually have a reese dual-cam system (although the dealer tried to convince me I didn't need it). Checked my tires as well, and you are right they are P Rated, not LT. Due for new tires anyway, so I will make this change.

This is probably a stupid question, but to make the tongue weight heavier you do what? Load up the front of the camper more and lighten up the rear, or is there some kind of adjustment I can make?

With regard to proper hitch set-up, it looks pretty good, although my van still slumps a bit in the rear, but the best that I can tell the camper is pretty level. Thought about pulling up the load leveling bars a bit more, but if I pull them up too much more they are going to be above the bottom of my trailer frame. Honestly, I haven't done this as I was afraid I might over-stress them. I think they are rated to 750 pounds, dry hitch weight is 600 (seems kinda close now that I think about it).

One other thing I did fail to mention, I also have a 4 slot bike rack on the back on the camper. Was wondering how much this would impact the sway/trailer balance as well. The bikes are pretty light, but thought I would mention it.

Again, thanks so much for all of the input and feedback. When you first buy a camper, you assume all you do is hook it up and go, the more I drive/camp the more I learn and your input has been very helpful.

- ldeane

Me, My Wife, and 5 boys!
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB 2WD Cummins
2002 Jayco Qwest 324G
My Pics

lonescout

Monument, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/02 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ideane, 2 things: 1)with existing conditions, do NOT put the bikes and the rack on the back of the trailer. This will exacerbate the problem n the form of more mass. 2)don't worry about putting too much tension on the chains. If they are loaded to what you think is the max or near max, think about this. You are going down the highway and you hit a big dip in the road, that 750# hitch will see close to 2,000# or even more because of inertia and kinetic energy, downwards. If this happens and you have the current setup, you could lose control. Remember, all vehicles, especially 18 wheelers, push a "bow wave" and that can have disasterous effects on and unstable rig by trying to "bend" the rig in the middle. If you ever win the lottery, get a fifth wheel and a medium size truck. There is no comparison in handling.
Good luck and drive carefully.
Lonescout

john b

anywhere USA!

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/02 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed for several years a 30ft jayco with 2 different ford e150 vans, The trailer said 5235# out of the factory. Moderately loaded for 2 week vacation it weighed 6976 on a certified scale. I was very pleased with the tow performance of these vehicles but found it necessary and great to be towing with a Hensley Arrow. I also had a 138 in wheelbase van. You are pushing it without a hensley or a pullrite, even then you must have things right !

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

hensleysmylife

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/02 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the folks at Hensley about their hitch. 800-410-6580, just ask about it. I have one, and have never worried about how my trailer is packed, etc. Since it is guaranteed not to allow any sway, it simplifies things!!

Frontier 27

Calgary, Oilberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/02 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, think the manufacturers watch this website?

1999 Frontier T27FR
1999 Ford Expedition EB 4x4, 5.4L Magnacharged, 4.10's, BFG AT's (Load Range D)
Connected by a Hensley Arrow and a Jordan 2020

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/02 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm, I would worry how my TT is packed! Hensley is not a cure-all. It is a probably the best hitch out there, but not designed to correct a overloaded rig (and I am sure they would agree) and all the 'problems' associated with overloading.

Take care.

Bill R.

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/02 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and don't forget about the considerable extra tongue weight added by the Hensley.
If you current TT tongue weight is at or near your hitch tongue weight capacity, this is a concern.

We only come home from our trips to save to go again.
Bill & Joan
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1997 Ford Ranger XLT Ext Cab Toad

ldeane

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to put a follow-up out here. First off, thanks so much for all the great advice and suggestions I received for fixing my sway problems. All of you are great, and I have come to rely on the information I find in these forums over anything thing else.

So, how is my sway? Well, purchased four new Michelin LTX LT235 series tires for my van, and pumped them up to the max 50psi when pulling.

I also printed off some hitch adjusting instructions for my Reese dual-cam system (also found in this forum). Followed the instructions to a tee, and immediatly realized my camper wasn't even close to be set-up correctly. So much for experts at the dealerships huh?

3rd, since my fresh water tank is in front of my TT's rear axles, I filled the tank up to add some hitch weight.

The combination of these 3 things has made such a difference I can't believe it. My van and camper are much more stable, and almost pull as if they are one vehicle now. I still have a bit of sway if a large truck goes by me real fast, but it is not longer a "white knukle" experience.

Again, I cannot say thanks enough for all of the advice!!!! My van is still a little under powered, but working on fixing that too, just need to wait a little longer. I went and drove the new Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cabs over the weekend, and I have found a new love. Drove both the 5.7L Hemi V8 and the new Hight Output Cummins Diesel...prefer the Diesel by far. I swear, I think it would pull my house if it had wheels...555 ft/lbs of torque...wow!

Anyway, thanks again...

- ldeane

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/02 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're welcome, that's what we're here for. Glad to see it is working out for you, and that a better tow vehicle is in your future. Happy camping.

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

lfeather

Titusville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/03 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably won't like this answer, but I bought a Hensley Arrow hitch ($3K) and it was worth every penny. Absloutely no sway! I used it for four years on two different trailers and it was a dream to tow with. I actually paid $2K for mine, but it was one of there demo models. I sold it for $1.6K after I bought my motorhome. If you want complete safety and one finger-low-stress driving...go for it. I think they are actually going for about $2800 right now. Life time warranty with 60 day money back garrantee, but you won't take it back. How much are you willing to pay for the safety of your family and piece of mind. The guy I sold it to is really happy with it. go for it. No I don't work for the company. Good luck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Way too much Sway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.