|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How difficult is it to replace a roof vent? I just noticed one of ours is cracked - I went out to open the windows/vents and noticed plastic pieces laying on the screen. Thank you

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Ventline, Exlir and Jensen are the major vent manufacturers. Camco makes extremely good replacement domes made from Polypropylene that lasts a very long time, for each of those brands, and replacement is easy enough. You may have to go up on the roof and snap a picture of the type of hinge to identify the brand of vent on Camco's website. There are 3 different hinge designs. They run around 20 bucks each. At Camping World. Rust, UV and impact resistant...and lifetime warranty! Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

BillyW

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect advice from both fordsooperdooty and polishnurse. A couple years ago my vent lid crumbled into the screen like yours over the Winter. If I hadn't had a vent cover over it, I would probably have had lots of water damage to deal with the following Spring.

And both jobs are simple.

'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to put one of those Max Air vents on or fact simarly, there well worth the money being able to keep it open with the rain coming in. even under way it's a great help. JM2Cents Bill

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that it is a simple thing to change the roof vents. Probably would pick up a new vent cover for anything that has been sitting in the sun a equal time. And the Maxx air covers are probably why my roof vent covers never had any damage in 16 years.

Being able to leave them open in the rain is a bonus, but keeping out more light, dust, and protecting the covers from hail damage is also nice!

If you are going to a RV supply store, might as well pick up a calking gun rubber roof repair caulk. Once up on the roof to repair the vent cover, you will probably see some crack needing attention, and if not, I always keep a spare tube of roofing repair, because once out camping, I don't want to return to the store for some materials if a leak happens.

Fred.

Alaskan Class C

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/12 02:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a broken vent this yeartoo, but i accidently stepped on mine shoveling a couple feet of snow off the roof in the dark.

Replacing mine was harder though. I have the luck of having an Itasca (Winnabago) an old one at that. So the vents are not standard size and not readily available and not cheap. So I bought a new vent had had to modify the hole in the roof a bit to install it. Hopefulky you have a standard size vent and not a custom sized bramd specific one....

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the max air vents. Put one on the bathroom fan vent yesterday and have to wait to do the other due to power lines above the second vent I need done. Going camping Tuesday-Monday so planning on doing that one at the campground. Makes a huge difference in trailer staying cooler and helps prevent the UV rays from making the cheap vent covers brittle and cracking failing. Feel very comfy that it would take a tree limb or something heavy to crack the vent and cause a leak now vs hail or just a good wind storm if the vent cover got brittle.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

MALE*RN*777

Western MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about that. I cleaned mine this year and it cracked. Can't beleive how brittle they can become. I was happy to find out you don't have to replace the whole unit but just the dome. I bought some white duct tape and have it sealed at this time and it doesn't look bad because I did it in a square pattern after replacing the cracked part. It will hold and look fine until I replace it. I just don't know why they make those so cheap in the first place.

03 Ford F150 XLT
Good-bye old friend --- 01 Coleman Sante Fe Pop-up
Hello new friend --- 09 KZ Coyote 23CR Hybrid
Me ,The Wife,The Boy,Girl 1 ,Girl 2
We are Blessed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS