RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Secret of Grilling Chicken

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Secret of Grilling Chicken

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sgt77

Tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surgtech56 wrote:

Whats the secret of grilling chicken? Everytime I grill chicken it turns out too dry. Any hidden secrets or am I just a bad cook? Thanks

Low and slow. Low heat and take your time. I generally concoct a marinade and let it sit for a short time. I have also found that it depends on the chicken. For example, If I use the Sam's chicken breasts, then I pound them with my spiked meat hammer and then marinade. Low and slow cook and it comes out tender and juicy.

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three other tips for you: First, bring the meat to room temperature before grilling. Otherwise the cold center takes longer to cook through, making the meat on the edges tough and overcooked. Second, for boneless breasts I prefer to butterfly them rather than pounding them flat. Just lay them flat on the cutting board and cut their height in half. Your two thinner pieces of chicken will cook in about 2 mins per side on medium heat (depending on your grill). Third: cook chicken until almost done, then remove it from the grill to a plate and cover it with foil. Let it rest for 5 minutes before you cut into it. The meat continues to cook from the residual heat for about 5 minutes. If you take it off the grill when it's "done", that carryover heat can make it "overdone".

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop cooking it so long.

Quality Johnson

Minneapolis MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do chicken on a wood fire of coals with just a few flames coming up. My cooking grid is about 12" off the floor of the firepit, so it's really a slow heat. It takes about an hour to cook larger drumsticks, thighs, or breasts. That much time above the wood fire gives a really delicious smoke flavor to the meat, and I've never had them come out dry. The hardest part of this is keeping that low fire going for an hour while the chicken cooks, and a second fire off to the side supplies me with coals to add to the cookfire.

'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop by and say hello and I'll cook you up a batch in about 4 beers, 6 if its frozen. Slow and low, with skin on, dont flip = the best juicy chicken. Yummy plain, BBQ, toasted garlic or my favorite Old Bay.

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

Bigfoot85

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always moist and tasty chicken ... bring water to a boil (with seasonings), drop the chicken breast in - cover and turn OFF the heat! Just wait 1/2 hour, take it out and finish cooking any way you like.

BlazingWest ... in an office with a view
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual

ETex2

E. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are cooking the whole breast without butterflying it, it takes a long time for the middle to get done. Then the rest will be overcooked. The secret is to butterfly the breast, pound it down a bit if necessary to shape it into an even thickness. Then do not overcook it. Take it off when the juices are still a bit pink and it will continue to cook once you take it off the grill. I like to marinate them in lime juice or Italian dressing for 15 or 20 minutes first. Tender and juicy every time, but it takes practice. Typical cooking time is 5-6 minutes total, give or take a minute depending on how hot your grill is. Made them last night for fajitas - perfect, tender and juicy.

sharrlan

chino,ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let the chicken set out to take the chill off. I season with whatever I feel like that night. I use a gas grill, putting the middle burner on high and the two outside on medium. I always use a meat thermometer, take it off about 5 degrees from where I want it. I let it set, covered with foil, for about 5 mins while getting everything else ready.

My chicken was always dry until I started using a thermometer.

RaenMark

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 naturist! This works for both Pork and Poultry. Contrary to popular myths, if this is done right it does NOT make the meat too salty. It's a wonderful opportunity to add flavor and moisten the meats for thorough cooking.

Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
1999 Fleetwood American Tradition 40
Just got it and learning about it as we go!

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I split a chickens in two halves so they get done quicker and inject all parts with BBQ sauce using a hypodermic type injector, adding more under the skin. I lay the halves skin side up in the aluminum "pans" that breakfast rolls come it. This keeps the fat from dropping into the fire and flaring up to burn the chicken. Sometimes I also add a little water or beer. Pans then are thrown away, no cleaning, no dirty grill. I made some last week and because the numbers are worn off the grill knobs, had it on full instead of half way. The top sauce and skin and the bottom was burned but the chicken was still great. If it wasn't for the aluminum pan and the injected moisture of the sauce I think we would of been eating in a resturant.....

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Secret of Grilling Chicken
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS