|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> FRESH WATER STERALIZATION

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mojo41

parsonsburg,md

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know its been dis-cussed numerous times,but whats the ratio of bleach per gallon to flush out the fresh water tank.

Thanks
Larry

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here

Searched 'sanitize'

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons water

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons water

X2, and don't forget to figure in the water heater capacity.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Rambuck

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a newbie myself, I'm researching this and have 1 concern. That is draining the water heater after sanitizing. My water heaterdrains down the side of my trailer. Is this bleach solution weak enough that it won't bleach the paint of my trailer?

Thanks

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rambuck wrote:

As a newbie myself, I'm researching this and have 1 concern. That is draining the water heater after sanitizing. My water heaterdrains down the side of my trailer. Is this bleach solution weak enough that it won't bleach the paint of my trailer?

Thanks

Never had a problem with that, and I've got a decal underneath it. You could rinse with fresh water after draining if you wanted to be sure.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It also depends on your water source. If your water source is Municipal water, that already contains chlorine, than you do not need to add as much to disinfect your system. If you use private well water, you may want to use a little more chlorine.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree with the amounts of bleach suggested. I use to have a link to a retired city water chemists web site...he was an RV'er and he gave these amounts:

For a troubled system - system shock: 0.13oz bleach X Tank Size (7.8oz bleach per 60 gallons), let sit over night, flush and refill tank.

For preventative maintenance: 1oz bleach per 60 gallons, no need to flush.

To remove smells: 1 & 1/2 cup vinegar per 60 gallons

To sweeten water: 1/2 cup baking soda (dissolved in hot water) per 60 gallons.

The 1/4 cup per 15 gallons is about twice what a professional that worked for years sanitizing city water says is needed in RVs. And he mentioned that if you use to much, you'll be tasting it for weeks afterwards as it gets into the nooks and crannies of the plastic plumbing system. And in many places, like here in Arizona, many parks frown on filling and dumping your tank multiple times to flush out the bleach.

JMO.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 02:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

even if you used a gallon of bleach... shouldnt taste or smell anything if you flush properly

Alaskan Class C

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/12 02:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can tell you the magic number for what we call superchlorinating a water tank is 50ppm of chlorine which equates to about 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon (Which is close to the .13 oz mentioned above but in an easier to understand measurement). This is what we require by code(when I say we I mean the Municipality of Anchorage, of which I am a health inspector for) for mobile food units with water tanks to be done annually. The 50ppm is also the level of bleach used to sanitize dishes in restaurants and to clean tables, counters, etc....It's high enough to kill everything that can grow but not so high that it will leave a residue or bad taste, since it can't be rinsed off of utensils in a restaurants to be effective. In a water tank you will need to flush the tanks several times to get it all out, but there will be nothing cool living in your tanks when you are done. We also requrie that tanks be tested annually to assure nothing cool is growing in the tanks.

The amount of residual in city water is around 1-5 ppm at the source (before I was a health inspector I used to be a Class C water/waste water treatment plant operator/ lab analyst/ditch digger/water meter reader/ it was a small company...), by the time it rattles around in the city pipes and goes through your house there might be .1-.5 ppm at the tap. If it's much higher than that it will smell like a swimming pool in your shower and you won't like it very much. A swimming pool is about 1-10 ppm of chlorine. I would guess, I haven't checked, but if you fill up your tank with city water and did a chlorine test on it a short time later there would be no free chlorine left in it, sitting in a tank the chlorine will be used up in no time just from sitting there (which is why it is important to have a coliform free tank). Chlorine in a bucket at 50 ppm with light use for wiping tables might last 8 hours before the residual is 0ppm.

Sorry for the ramble, I do spend a lot of time telling people how to sanitize and clean things....

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> FRESH WATER STERALIZATION
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS