RV.Net Open Roads Forum: It's almost summer but I forgot the snowshoes!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> It's almost summer but I forgot the snowshoes!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
insp_1505

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wrote this day by day as we camped. Originally I tried to upload it each day but it wouldn't load. I figured the Internet service was too weak so I just strung it all together for one big report when we got home. When I got home it still wouldn't post through RV.net so I switched to Woodall's. I had to add a " _ " to my username. Now I am a new member again [emoticon]

This is Thursday evening heading up the mountain to our camp spot. The weather was nice but cloudy.

[image]

[image]

Here is what we woke up to Friday morning.

[image]

It felt like we traveled back in time 6 months to revisit winter. The weather forecaster called for 6-12” of snow in the central Idaho Mountains this weekend. They were right on target. As of Sunday evening there was about 10” of fresh new snow since Friday morning.

We were going to have company along but they all backed out before we left. It’s probably a good thing because this was definitely not tent weather. One nice thing about it though is we had the lake all to ourselves on a Memorial weekend. [emoticon]

Friday morning view of camp after I dug out the winter clothes to go outside.

[image]

Walking around the lake Friday morning it was windy and snowing hard. I decided not to get out the raft and go fishing.

[image]

[image]

The lake was beginning to freeze but it was still mostly open water on Friday afternoon.

[image]

We went for a hike instead of fishing and I found this angel in the snow.

[image]

If it weren’t for the all snow the camper would stick out like a sore thumb in this picture. Is this stealth camping?

[image]

By Friday evening there was over 5” of snow.

[image]

Temperatures dropped and the lake began to freeze over Friday evening.

[image]

[image]

Time for a nice campfire in the snow before heading off to bed. Overnight temps have been in the mid-upper 20’s F so definitely no worries about freezing anything. Daytime highs only get to the low 30’s.

[image]

[image]

By Saturday morning the lake had completely frozen over and some nice designs were forming with snow on top of it.

[image]

Saturday we went for another hike to take pictures and it was still snowing.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

It’s nice to have a large warm TC and a campfire to dry out at after a long hike.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The icicles are growing longer on the TC too.

[image]

Saturday evening the snow depth measured over 8”

[image]

[image]

Sunday it snowed most of the day but not as heavily. There were brief periods where the sun tried hard to peek out. Mostly we hung out at the campfire and inside the TC watching movies and reading.

[image]

Monday morning we woke to a beautiful sunny day. Finally it’s not snowing and the temperature is heading towards 40 degrees.

[image]

[image]

I had to climb up on the roof to clear the snow off of my skylights so we could finally enjoy some sunshine inside the camper.

[image]

[image]

We are determined to go fishing, but the lake is still frozen over. We decided to help Mother Nature along by taking our boats out and breaking up the ice.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Paddling through 2” of ice and slush is hard work.

[image]

[image]

After about 2 hours we headed back to the TC for some lunch and a nap.

[image]

Later Monday afternoon we tried some “ice fishing” for a couple of hours, as the lake hadn’t fully opened up from our earlier efforts.

[image]

[image]

It was pretty slow fishing; I think I caught the only fish in the lake.

[image]

Another good day coming to a close makes for some nice scenery.

[image]

At sunset on Monday there is still ice on the lake. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow but so will we. Tuesday we have to pack it up and head back to work.

[image]

[image]

Well, all good things must come to an end. After 6 days it was time to head home. I fished for a few hours Tuesday morning before we had to leave but didn’t have any luck. We had breakfast packed up camp and headed out. The snow over the weekend hadn’t fully melted and where it did melt we were left with a muddy mess.

This is the last shot of my clean truck and camper. We had to push through this snow bank that had built up in front of the truck from all the snow sliding off the truck. That was no problem.

[image]

Heading down this hill, through the mud pit at the bottom and back up the other side was the problem. The mud was so greasy that the truck kind of went where it wanted regardless of input from the driver. I got a bit closer to a couple of trees and into their limbs than I would have liked to during the journey down the muddy mountain road. No damage though, just some forest pin striping.

[image]

Coming out of the creek crossing.

[image]

Even after going through the creek the rear duals were so packed with mud it looked like one big slick tire.

[image]

[image]

I have never seen this phenomenon. As the mud was pressed between the tires it was forced out through the holes on the inside of the rim.

[image]

One last picture, I think it’s my favorite of the trip. For a brief moment on Friday evening a small patch of blue sky opened up to the east and let in some colorful light. It reflects the beauty of the scenery that we were fortunate enough to witness this weekend.

[image]

And even though I forgot the snowshoes we still had a great time. Hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday weekend.

bmcdonald

georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked like a great time weather and all.. beautiful pictures.. where were you at?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics, but it looks like you almost messed up! [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sweet....gotta love adventures like that

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well done! This trip will be much more memorable than a nice sunny weekend would have been. And have you ever noticed that you sleep wonderfully when it is cold and wet and snowy outside the camper? Must be a hibernation thing.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jefybal

Fresno

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love it! Great stuff, glad you posted!

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful photos of some gorgeous county. Thank you for sharing.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and trip report as usual! Maybe a moderator can put this back under your usual member name for you.

TimH

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post, love the snow and boating.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When Lewis and Clark were making there return trip from the Pacific ocean, the natives warned them of late snows in the mnts. I guess they new there stuff. Lewis was forced back for going too early as well. I thought we had short summers here in Mi. Thanks for sharing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> It's almost summer but I forgot the snowshoes!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.