RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rockwood Signature Ultralite caulk problems

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rockwood Signature Ultralite caulk problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gparrow

Morgan City, LA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2010 Rockwood 8280ws has always had a problem with the caulk cracking (pulling apart) on both front sides where the seam on the chin from the front cap back 12-18 inches. Every service center i've taken it to has dad a different answer as to what is causing the stretching and cracking of the caulk. They inspected the hitch welds and found nothing wrong with it, Watched it durring a test drive to see if there was any bouncing durring travel and said it looked ok. I stopped by a Rockwood dealer last weekend and noticed that every new 2012 Rockwood fiver they had on the lot had the same cracks in the same place. When I asked about it I got the standard answer that they just need to be professionally re-caulked every six months as part of normal preventative maintenance. To me it seems strange to see 10 brand new rigs sitting in a row on a dealers lot with the same problem. I'm not talking about one small tear on each side, the caulk is separating a good 12-18 inches back from where the botton of the fron cap meets the seam on the bottom of the chin. Has anyone else noticed this and gotten better answers than me?

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gparrow wrote:

Our 2010 Rockwood 8280ws has always had a problem with the caulk cracking (pulling apart) on both front sides where the seam on the chin from the front cap back 12-18 inches. Every service center i've taken it to has dad a different answer as to what is causing the stretching and cracking of the caulk. They inspected the hitch welds and found nothing wrong with it, Watched it durring a test drive to see if there was any bouncing durring travel and said it looked ok. I stopped by a Rockwood dealer last weekend and noticed that every new 2012 Rockwood fiver they had on the lot had the same cracks in the same place. When I asked about it I got the standard answer that they just need to be professionally re-caulked every six months as part of normal preventative maintenance. To me it seems strange to see 10 brand new rigs sitting in a row on a dealers lot with the same problem. I'm not talking about one small tear on each side, the caulk is separating a good 12-18 inches back from where the botton of the fron cap meets the seam on the bottom of the chin. Has anyone else noticed this and gotten better answers than me?

Structure flex plain and simple. Eternabond tape might be a better solution long term.

fivecodys

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I basically have the same trailer as yours (different stickers)
I have the exact same problem you described.
It has been that way from day one.
I think it's because of the flexing.
I also pull back the white rubber strips, that hide all of the screws, and tighten them now and then.
Last fall I re-caulked the starboard side of the rig myself.
I stripped off everybit of caulking that I could and cleaned the area with mineral spirts before I applied the new stuff.
So far it is holding.
I used DiCor Lap Sealant. I ordered it from Amazon.com

Good luck,

Bill

2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"?

TWO 4 THE ROAD

AZUSA,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gparrow: Yep,, I've got the same prob with my Flagstaff/Forest River 5er. The Caulk around the front cap keeps cracking and falling off in places. I too have contact Forest River and got the same answer, which was of no help at all. I re-caulk this area about every year, clean the old stuff off tighten the screws and re-caulk. It lasts about 5 or 6 months before it starts up again. I guess it's just one of the things that make Rving interesting as well as irritating...
good luck.

07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie

gparrow

Morgan City, LA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies everyone, we plan to keep this one for a while so I get nervous about these things. I did'nt think about checking the screws so I'll add that to my list.

Greg

daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Our 2010 Rockwood 8280ws has always had a problem with the caulk cracking (pulling apart) on both front sides where the seam on the chin from the front cap back 12-18 inches.

I store my trailer at a dealer's lot. I've seen a lot of fifth wheels on the lot that are awaiting repairs for water damage in this area.

1) Do all caulks last about the same in this area, or is there one that is superior? I can say that the Proflex I applied about lasted about 2 months before cracking and splitting.

2) I saw posts on this forum from a guy who used Eternabond strips in this area. Does anyone know how the Eternabond lasted in this use?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, but the chance of water damage is determined by whether or not putty tape was applied under that metal strip. If this was a constant area with caulk splitting I would remove all the caulk and remove the trim strip for inspection.

Eternabond makes a micro-seal tape that will not ooze or break down like normal butyl tape. I would clean all old sealing materials from the unit and the strip, apply the micro-sealant, re-install, and finish with a bead of Dicor non-sag lap sealant. The Dicor flexes better than the Proflex on moving joints.

The benefit of the micro-sealant is that when the caulking cracks again you KNOW there is no water entering the strip. I personally wouldn't apply the white Eternabond strips to that area, just for the visual and resale value issues.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

gparrow

Morgan City, LA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac wrote:

Quote:

Our 2010 Rockwood 8280ws has always had a problem with the caulk cracking (pulling apart) on both front sides where the seam on the chin from the front cap back 12-18 inches.

I store my trailer at a dealer's lot. I've seen a lot of fifth wheels on the lot that are awaiting repairs for water damage in this area.

1) Do all caulks last about the same in this area, or is there one that is superior? I can say that the Proflex I applied about lasted about 2 months before cracking and splitting.

2) I saw posts on this forum from a guy who used Eternabond strips in this area. Does anyone know how the Eternabond lasted in this use?

1. Nothing i have tried has lasted longer than a month or two, A guy at a service center in Illinois recomended to try Quad caulk from Home Depot as it's supposed to have the most stretch but it's only been a couple weeks since i got it on the rig so can't say how long it'll last yet.

2. Personally I'd rather stay away from Eternabond it this area because as stated above it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same problem with our Flagstaff. Dealer could not fix, so I sent it to private repair shop. Had them pull the front cap and check things out. One side of the aluminum frame was NEVER bolted down. He bolted it in, reinstalled the front cap and recaulked. Been good for 2 years now.

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

johnb83

california

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same problem with our 06 rockwood 5th, unhitch and the molding would drop down about 1/4 inch. I contacted Rockwood who gave me a " fix" for the problem. The work had to be done at a shop it involved pulling the cover off the area around the pin box then installing lags through the steel frame into the sidewall. It's funny Rockwood had a fix all ready to send!! The bad news is this fix did not last a year.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rockwood Signature Ultralite caulk problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS