|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck camper sways too much

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 things:

1 - Make sure the air bags are plumbed separately, not tied together.

2 - adjust the pressure. I had better luck with higher pressures.

Whizbang
2010 F150 with 1994 Jayco Sportster 7ft Pop-up
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Jrork

Silverdale, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

It would be far easier and cost effective to just to sell your truck and buy a similar year dually. Likely, you can get a similar year dually in similar condition for about the same amount of money as you can sell your truck, if both trucks are bought/sold private party. Or, you can trade it in at a dealer and take a small hit.

Bingo! I looked at adding 19.5s to my Dodge and then started looking at trading in on a dually. Ended up getting a clean unmolested dually of the same vintage for almost a straight across trade without the expense of putting on 19.5s.

The dually completley stock hauls the camper much better than my modified 2500 ever did.

Due to the fuel prices, there's not many folks buying duallys right now so the selection and prices are good.

silverbullet02

Kingston, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If my AF811 weighs about 4100-4300lbs ready to rock, your 990 has to be about 4500+. My typical rear axle weight is just over 7k lbs. You may or may not be over your tire weight rating.

The stock shocks are junk if you still have them on...if you switch over to a set of Rancho adjustables, or some of the others that guys run on here, I guarantee it will make a HUGE difference!

Also, jump up and down on your truck and watch the sidewalls flex. I guarantee they do. My 19.5's do not flex (very much), and it gives the truck a completely different feel. Much tighter with the load on, very stable feeling. I'm not saying the dually isn't the way to go, but for me, since I drive my truck all the time, I didn't want a dually. I recently drove cross country with my rig and it drove like a dream. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a set of 19.5s on it and call it good. The tires made an incredible difference. Good luck!

2007 Dodge 2500 QCLB, 5.9 Cummins---Roadmaster sway bar, Rancho RS9000's, Firestone air bags, Rickson 19.5 wheels, Michelin XDS2 225/70's.
2007 Arctic Fox 811

Atchafalaya_man

Lafayette, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCal:
Something not mentioned is adapting factory overloads from a dually to a 3/4 ton. What about junkyarding dually overload springs and grinding off the bumpstops and bolting them on a 3/4 ton SRW? I think the holes for the brackets are already punched into the frame from the factory.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atchafalaya_man wrote:

SoCal:
Something not mentioned is adapting factory overloads from a dually to a 3/4 ton. What about junkyarding dually overload springs and grinding off the bumpstops and bolting them on a 3/4 ton SRW? I think the holes for the brackets are already punched into the frame from the factory.
Yes, on Fords, they are already punched into the frame. Not sure about Dodge and GM.

I believe I did mention using grade-8 bolts to mount factory overload bump stops to a frame not originally equipped with them in one of my earlier posts.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

elkhornsun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbrens are just supersized stops that can be bolted to the frame if that is what is needed. Not mentioned were the shocks and if Rancho 9000XL shocks are not on the truck but instead 3 year old Dodge shocks I would not be surprised at excessive sway regardless of the load. OEM shocks on all my trucks except the Toyota's were shot in less than 30K miles.

Arctic Fox campers are all very heavy campers. Want a lighter weight camper for a 3/4 ton SRW truck then the Wolf Creek 850 or 816 model campers made by the same company are where I would start. Take a camper with a dry weight of 2000 lbs. and add the "extras" like a house battery and the weight when loaded is going to be 3500 lbs. or less. The AF 990 comes out the door at 3605 and you are overweight at the onset.

In the position of the OP I would get rid of the 990 and get a lighter camper. Some people want the largest possible camper (which is also the heaviest) and so will get a 1-ton or larger truck with duallies to handle the monster load. For full time travel that may not be a bad choice, though a Class C motorhome may be a still better one. But if you have a perfectly serviceable heavy duty truck and the camper is too heavy for it then it is cheaper to change out the camper for a lighter weight one.

For our own travel where we go on the road for 3 weeks at a time and want to use the truck the rest of the year to carry kayaks and bicycles and haul stuff from the building supply stores or nurseries then a 450 truck with duallies would be a royal PITA to drive on a regular basis around town. Heck it would not even fit in the driveway much less in the garage.

I would buy a Class C motorhome long before I would buy an ultra long dually truck. If I have to live with reduced mobility and parking options with a vehicle why not go all the way. The overall cost will be less and an extra $20K will be available for storage fees and fuel.

clotus

ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbeers: Is your truck gas or diesel.

If it is diesel let me shed some light on your situation as I have essentially the same truck and have gone through a similar situation that you have and ironically have essentially done the same mods as you.

The 2008 Ram 2500 diesel is exactly the same truck minus overload springs as the 3500. I want to repeat that, the axles and spring packs are the same expect the 3500 has overload perches and an overload spring.

Now, you state you have added superspring. If they are the same as I have they are additional leaf springs that you added to the top of the spring pack. You have now upgraded your spring pack to effectively carry more weight than the stock 3500 with the overload spring. In fact putting supersprings on a 3500 requires you to remove the overload spring.

In addition to the your mods, I have also replaced the stock shocks to the rancho 9000's. As others have suggested this made one of the biggest improvements in sway. I also recently discovered driving with approximately 20 lbs in the airbags created a more stable load. My camper is approx 3700 lbs when it is ready to camp, so I am lighter, but not much.

Now, your concern should be the rear axle weight. Have you weighed it? If not I highly suggest it. Dodges tend to carry the weight all on the rear axle, might even be lifting the front slightly (not a concern for handling as the amount is not significant). I discovered I was over my tire capacity and upgraded the tires to a higher load rating. I am now at a safe rear-axle weight, but close when towing the boat. It I were to go a little heavier (say your camper), I would be over when towing my boat and just under with no trailer.

So it comes down to this, 19.5's will greatly improve your rear-axle weight carrying ability (the AAM 11.5 axle has around 11k rating) and should greatly help with the sway from the tires, couple that with the upgraded shocks and you should be good, but more importantly safe.

A dually would be the best, but as you stated a change is not in the cards. I am in the same boat, I like my shortbed SRW truck as my daily driver and until I get a different daily driver a DRW is out of the question. Hopefully I helped shed some light on your situation. Most people on this forum are very knowledgeable, but do not know much about the Dodges.

Camper: 03 Lance 820
Truck: 08 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel
-Airbags, supersprings, hellwig sway bar, rancho 9000xl, toyo open country tires, torklift Superhitch and torklift tie downs

MERC225

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clotus,

I could not have said it better myself. You are correct, seems many people on here just do not understand that a Dodge 2500 3rd gen is identical to the 3500 minus the upper overload and perches. Even the brakes are the same when comparing the 3500 SRW.

Agreed, a dually would be the correct truck for this application. As others have stated, keep your eyes open, dually's are selling used cheap in some parts of the country. It may be easier to upgrade than you really think if you look hard enough, it may take a while.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab long box, 5.7 Hemi, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Rancho MyRide system, Supersprings, Roadmaster rear sway bar.
2008 S&S 9.5 FBSC camper

jwolff

Richland, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give me a holler and we can take out my DRW with my AF 990 and then do yours and can compare by seat of your pants if you want since I am in Richland also. South Richland off of Keene. Plus, we can just shoot the bull on options and what I went through when I started with my SRW and moved up to the DRW. Help you brainstorm to make sure all your options are covered.

John

John
2001 Ford F350 dually, crew, 4x4, 7.3
2007 Arctic Fox 990
1995 Champion Bass Boat

dfb

gardnerville

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One has a GVWR of 9900 or10100, the dually is 12200...There is the difference.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck camper sways too much
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS