RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Roadtrek or Pleasure-way?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek or Pleasure-way?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bobojay5

Eastern Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

If you go by popularity just remember that would make McDonalds the best hamburger.

Quality wise there is not a wit of difference to be concerned about with the major Class B manufacturers. It really comes down to features (not much difference there either) and design layout. Design layout is an individual thing. The original question was Pleasure-way vs. Roadtrek. My personal preference in design layout would be a Pleasure-way and I have given my opinions why numerous times. It is a lot easier to compare the converters on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter platform than the Ford and Chevy platforms which have more variable differences between them.

I agree with DavyDD on both points. Sprinter, and Ford/Chevy....

Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Sprinter Class B Van
Our Second Sprinter

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/12 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My strong preference for the PW is based almost solely on the layout because I prefer the kitchen on the passenger side, facing my campsite, as opposed to teh bathroom of the RT being on the campsite side. I'd rather have a view of my campsite thant the hook-ups of my neighbors' RV. The open layout the kitchen offers also makes my unit feel more spacious upon entering. Passenger side kitchen also allows for greater visibily for the driver when driving.

My .27 cents, adjusted for inflation.

* This post was edited 06/20/12 10:19pm by Escargot *

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

BLUE MARBLE

Largo, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slightly askew to topic but when you compare the American Cruiser floor plan, not to mention quality, you will be astonished. The rear entry in this notable Class B afords you with a full size couch, dinette table w/seating and an enclosed spacious shower/bathroom. Apologies, but I so truly love what this coach delivers that I had to weigh in.

"we are not stopping 'til they come to take us away!"
all 4 kids grown, healthy and ...gone

ffjeff

Coloma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides finding a layout and design that you can live with. Open up all the compartments were the plumping and electrical are found. Look under the seat or wherever the main electrical panel is. Compare the craftmanship and attention to details. The best looking here will most likely be the best build overall and give you trouble free service.

starflyte1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned three Pleasure Way Bs. Each was great, just had trouble deciding on the floor plan.

At the time, PW had several floorplans and some were larger than others. (Chevy) The wet bath in the PW was the reason we stayed with PW. Now I think that Roadtrek has much improved their baths in the past several years.

We went to a rally at the PW factory in Canada and took tours of the whole place.

hobbssb

Santa Barbara

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you're considering "better" in an RV, another aspect to look at is the electrical system. If you're going to be staying in RV parks with hook-ups it doesn't much matter, but for boondocking, unless you like the happy sound of a generator ringing in your ears, the batteries begin to become an issue. For example in the Sprinters, the RT-RS has 2 6-volt AGMs (approx 220 amp hrs) and the PW Plateau has one 12-volt (about 90 amp h). When I asked PW if they could add a 2nd battery, they said "no" as Mercedes had told them this could overheat their system. Sportsmobile and GW have more capacity with the option of 2 12-volts and large inverters (1700 - 2000W). These large inverters would allow you to have your electric coffee pot running in the morning w/o the need of the generator. So, to electrically support a caffeine addiction in the wilds, SMB or GW get the stars!

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two 12V deep cycle marine batteries with 210 amps in our Great West Van Legend but no large inverter. The Great West Legend EX has been made with 4 AGM batteries. RT and LTV have two battery options. I'm not sure why Pleasure-way would lay the blame on Mercedes Benz.

Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to brew a pot of coffee with the generator on. Still we just heat up water on the stove top and use the French press when we have no hookup.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

DiscoverThis

Uniontown, OH USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owned a 2008 Excel TS and and still own a 2010 Adventurous RS. Suggest that you stay away from the Excel.

kendall69

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a no brainer for the Winnebago. 30K less than the other two.
There is no amount of craftsmanship that is worth 30K.

Lets face it, all RV have similar appliances etc so no advantage goes to either one. The chassis is the same on all three, so again no advantage to either.

Fit and finish, yep, you can argue this one effectively, but still 30K for a better finish on wood, or a better fit of the moulding.

30K can cure a lot of sins, plus what I've heard about Winnebago on this new model is they are holding their own.

Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does Winnebago have to do with "Roadtrek or Pleasure-way"
I guess everyone who didn't but a Winnebago got screwed, and are just stupid.

* This post was edited 06/11/12 09:00pm by My Roadtrek *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek or Pleasure-way?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS