RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 24 ft enough space??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 24 ft enough space??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

Sorry, I should have said that most Class C's, with a rear dedicated bedroom and a good RV queen mattress, are at least 27 feet long bumper to bumper. Most rigs are a foot longer bumper to bumper than the model number such as "26Q" There are those who "swear by" whatever brand, length and floor plan they bought, there are those who buy a short rig and eventually buy a longer unit. Some buy as long and with as many slides as they can get. We have owned a 23 footer and then bought a 27 foot Tioga 26Q" in 2004 for the rear bedroom and much more storage space. Don't want weight and potential leaks and mechanical problems with slides. Have never felt enough need for a toad/dingy etc. If we ever do, will rent when and where needed such as in NYC or Boston. We are mostly interested in touring and camping, not much into attractions in RV un-friendly cities. People into group social camping usually tow a vehicle and run around to local restaurants and attractions sharing rides.

Idle question... How does the four extra feet affect maneuverability of the rig, especially in older SP campsites or in other fairly tight areas? The 2-3 extra feet in a number of coaches can add a lot of storage space, as well as another sofa or dinette. The reason I like shorter rigs (~24 feet) is that they appear to be a decent compromise between being big enough for 1-2 people not to be cramped, versus being small enough to go most places.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best things we did was go to RV dealerships on slow days and took our time looking at MHs in the size we were shooting for. We'd spend time just sitting in the MH and looked through all the cabinets. Inspected the mechanical and electrical, etc. while walking around the outside. We had a mental list such as a toilet that wasn't too cramped and a certain amount of wardrobe space. We would lie on the bed, stand in the kitchen, look for the spare and see if we could reach it; on the average we'd spend about 90 minutes on each floorplan.

If you plan on long term RVing like the two months you mentioned, I recommend you get plenty of closet and drawer space. You don't want to spend every other day at the laundromat.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We yave been RVi8ng since 1969 and have had TTs, Hi-Lo and 4 MHs from 21-38'. We have also used a tow dolly and 4 down. We will never be without a toad. I only use 1/3 the gas with my toad over my MH. Another advantage of a longer MH is the larger tanks. With ours we can take our daily showers for a whole week and not have to refill the water or empty the holding tanks. When I go out to a CG I don't want to spend any more time than necessary playing around at the dump station. We went one time and planned on a rental from Enterprise. I had made a reservation 2 days earlier and got a ride to the office that day. There was no car available and I was on my own to get back to my MH. I never tried a second time. The whole problem with water leaks on many Class Cs is the reason I will have A's in the future. I have had 2 of each so am speaking from experience.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some posts here remind me of Robert Pirsig, author of _ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance _, a bestseller ever since the ‘70s.

Since retiring as a professor of civil engineering, I have furthered my longtime interest in philosophy, with untold hours of reading and philosophy blogging over the past 7 years.

Pirsig was a former teacher of grammar and writing, and his interest in determining good writing from bad led him to a deep philosophical study of Quality. (A big topic on our RV forums.)

In agreement w/ commonsense, Pirsig concluded that Quality defies definition, but that it is evident when YOU experience it.

Any philosophy, even that of my hero Pirsig, will have ideas that are not as dead-on or well articulated as first thought. (We still argue about Plato 2500 years later.) He was not careful with the Quality/Value distinction in his first book.

I emphasized YOU above to make an important point about Value w/r Quality: Quality is a general term that is made specific thru the experience of the individual – YOU, or I.

It’s apples and oranges. Just as the general term ‘energy’ can mean a measure of potential work activity, a specific term like‘power’ (work per unit time) indicates something different. Power indicates the effectiveness by which energy is actualized.

Value is specific Quality – Quality w/r something or someone.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beginners are often intimidated by the sheer size of even 24 footers. The differences in handling, parking, and driving on freeways and byways are not much different between a 24-footer and a 27-footer. If you can walk a short distance, parking at restaurants, in malls or on the street is usually no problem with a 27-footer. IMHO, hauling a toad or a trailer makes more problems parking, backing, etc, while en route. Also, IMHO, sleeping comfort and reasonable storage and elbow room are more important, over time, than slightly better agility. You have a blind spot in the right rear area in any motor home to deal with. We have a rear window with a wide-angle lense installed to help with rear vision. You can install a rear TV camera. Try to forsee how you will be using your RV in the next five years to help you decide on length, floor plan, features, brand name and towing, no toad, or rental car when needed.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Pirsig concluded that Quality defies definition ....

Hmmmm .... I do not hold with that conclusion.

IMHO "quality" is VERY EASY to define. It's merely the degree of achievement against a list of criteria for perfection.

Applies to motorhomes too ... some of the criteria for perfection are as follows ... one doesn't want a motorhome that:

1) Ever leaks.
2) Ever runs out of main engine fuel.
3) Ever runs out of propane.
4) Ever runs out of fresh water.
5) Ever fills up it's BW tank.
6) Ever fills up it's grey tank.
7) Needs any source of electricity other than solar to power everything inside including the microwave and air conditioner.
8) Has any temporary beds - all beds are permanent.
9) Has any beds smaller than king size.
10) Has less than two full size bathrooms.
11) Ever needs new tires.
12) Is any larger than a jeep so it can go and park anywhere.
13) Costs more to buy new than it does to remodel a garden shed.
14) Has less than three 70 inch flat TV screens.

The quest for a quality Class C motorhome consists of no more and no less than searching for one that comes the closest to meeting the above example criteria (plus other criteria that should be added).

Since compromise seems to so far to be the General Theory of Everything, the Class C we found in 2006 didn't meet any of the fourteen example criteria I listed above singularly or in combination ... so it's quality is less than total.

P.S. Way back when, I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" all the way through from cover to cover.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Quote:

Pirsig concluded that Quality defies definition ....

Hmmmm .... I do not hold with that conclusion.

IMHO "quality" is VERY EASY to define. It's merely the degree of achievement against a list of criteria for perfection.

Applies to motorhomes too ... some of the criteria for perfection are as follows ... one doesn't want a motorhome that:

1) Ever leaks.
2) Ever runs out of main engine fuel.
3) Ever runs out of propane.
4) Ever runs out of fresh water.
5) Ever fills up it's BW tank.
6) Ever fills up it's grey tank.
7) Needs any source of electricity other than solar to power everything inside including the microwave and air conditioner.
8) Has any temporary beds - all beds are permanent.
9) Has any beds smaller than king size.
10) Has less than two full size bathrooms.
11) Ever needs new tires.
12) Is any larger than a jeep so it can go and park anywhere.
13) Costs more to buy new than it does to remodel a garden shed.
14) Has less than three 70 inch flat TV screens.

The quest for a quality Class C motorhome consists of no more and no less than searching for one that comes the closest to meeting the above example criteria (plus other criteria that should be added).

Since compromise seems to so far to be the General Theory of Everything, the Class C we found in 2006 didn't meet any of the fourteen example criteria I listed above singularly or in combination ... so it's quality is less than total.

P.S. Way back when, I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" all the way through from cover to cover.

Phil, I think I've read him 7 or 8 times!

You are certainly on to what is at issue. Quality has a limitless aspect…an unboundedness…pure potentiality. But its actuality only comes w/ constraint.

The stately pleasure dome decreed by Kubla Khan in Xanadu would appear to be the embodiment of total Quality w/o restraint. Unfortunately, while in the process of writing this poem of untold bounties and beauties, one of poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s creditors came pounding on his door, leaving perhaps the greatest piece of imaginitive poetry ever in the English language forever unfinished!

Such is the nature of constraints.

Putting on my old engineer’s hat for a moment, I can say that what you describe above with your discussion of 14 (or however many) points is hitting close to an algorithmic process called ‘linear programming’ in which the maximum possible achievement of some one potential desired quality is sought in light of any number of identified constraints. More complexity will merit non-linear approaches. (I studied these, but seldom ever had to used them.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_programming

Bottom line for our discussion is that the function (quality) to be optimized is constrained. Once running thru the algorithms of LP or NLP, you arrive at YOUR value - remember, YOU identify the constraints.

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we need a TARDIS rv.(doctor who)

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huh?

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

Huh?

obviously you don't know Doctor Who.

he travels thru space and time in a vehicle that looks like a phone booth on the outside but once you go thru the door is the space of a giant house.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 24 ft enough space??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS