RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Newbie with question about 13' trailer- update, got it!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Newbie with question about 13' trailer- update, got it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tinkerpuppet

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last night I put a deposit on a little 13' 1972 Vanguard travel trailer. Super cute, well maintained, a few problems that aren't a huge deal. But the deposit has a clause on it. The sellers think its around 1500lbs. I think its a lot heavier then that. I came home last night and tried finding specs, but couldn't find any exact ones. Found a 15' 1972 Vanguard for sale that claims 1400kgs (3086lbs), and a 16' 1972 Vanguard at 2200lbs (one of those is obviously wrong!). Looking at other makes/models/years I'm getting anywhere from 1200lbs (little 13' fibreglass Scamper) to 2200lbs (new "ultralight" FunFinder 15').

I'm wondering if anyone here with an old 13' travel trailer can tell me what their trailer weighs.

I drive a Jeep Patriot with a tow limit of 2200lbs, so I really don't want to go over 1800lbs at most.

I have emailed the seller back with my findings, and asked if they would meet us at the scales to know for sure, but I figure thats a pretty big favour to ask, so I'm hoping to get more comparable specs just in case!

Thank you so much!

* This post was edited 06/20/12 09:48pm by Tinkerpuppet *

kstems

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried researching it on www.nadaguides.com?

2006 Ford Expedition 4x4
2012 Shadow Cruiser 225RBS

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can, go back to the trailer and look on the left (street) side near the front corner. There should hopefully be a tag approx 2X4 inches giving all sorts of valuable information. Axle ratings, GVWR, original tire sixes, etc, etc. That will tell you for sure what you are looking at. BTW I would suspect that the trailer would have around a 3500-4000 pound GVWR.
With your baby Jeep I personally think it may be too much, especially once you subtract the two boys and two adults weights from the tow rating. Remember that rating is based on a base level model 1/4 tank of gas and one 150 pound driver.

Also, don't be afraid to ask more than one question on a single post. As long as you don't ask a dozen questions, most people will answer what they feel comfortable with.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

Tinkerpuppet

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the quick replies! I will definitely check out that guide, thanks! And I did see a plate near the door that had the model number, serial number, etc, but not the specs I was expecting (I think I know what plate you are talking about). The camper was parked in a car park next to a fence, so there was one side I couldn't see. I'll ask the seller if they can pull it out and check.

I have a feeling it will be too much for us to tow too. Which is too bad, we thought maybe we'd lucked out with such a small trailer. We'd always planned on a tent trailer (never expected more with our little Jeep), but the allure of a hard sided trailer was irresistible!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL, then the allure of a bigger TV is always on the horizon.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think 'Vanguard' were made by Palomino

Palomino RV
1047 E M86
Colon, MI 49040
269-432-3271

Give them a call.......might be able to get info.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to the age, there will be little or no information on the builder plate or NADA. In fact the VIN probably will not conform to today's standards.

I'm guessing (I've owned rigs of that age) a bit heavier (like 1800 lbs), but not a lot

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say go ahead and ask to put it on the scale. This also gives you a chance to look it over a lot better then it just setting by a fence. Even if they want to tow it to the scale for you follow along and see how well it trails, and how straight the wheels look when towing.

My 1993 20 foot TT weighs 4280 on the scale. This is with all my camping stuff inside. But, older trailers were built heavier.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Older TT's were a lot heavier per foot than the new "lite" trailers. And, you simply cannot rely on any weights posted by the manufacturer. We had a 19', 1973 single axle Prowler, and it was heavier than the 24' 1989 Prowler Lynx we bought to replace it. Take it to a scale and weigh it. A lot of the recycling centers have large scales you can use for free or for a small fee.

1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6"
1985 WILDERNESS 3000CL
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Tinkerpuppet

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After giving up on the search for comparables, I just stumbled upon a blog where someone had found a small trailer and renovated it a bit. Its identical to our trailer. It was a Shasta, the one we're considering is a Vanguard, but has the exact same floor plan. And the good news? He took it to a scale and it weighed in at 1400lbs. Maybe the deal will go through tonight! I won't hear back from the seller until dinner time, so fingers crossed! I have hope again at least!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Newbie with question about 13' trailer- update, got it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS