|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report 2400 miles of desert SW in 10 days

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

or how we had a total blast

My wife likes to plan things down to the Nth degree, Me I have a general idea of a few things I want to see and just point the truck thataway and go. We ended up with a blend, for the most part I pointed the truck thataway and she got to pick the spot where we stayed where ever we happened to be when I said we are there. It worked out. I would have prefered boondocking more but we ended up in places that worked.

anyhow I'm going to post highlight pics here with a link to full res everything I shot in that area slide shows.

The first two days started an evening early. I really didn't want a 16 hour drive to Sedona so we cut out as soon as I got home from work on Friday evening.
[image]

We ended up camping in a pull out on the side of hwy 58 at the prison turnoff at the top of Tehachapi pass

[image]
Sedona AZ

Now as a kid we always had boxes of BORAXO cleaner in the family restaurant and at home. I always remembered the slogan 20 Mule Team Borax. So as we entered Boron there it was

[image]

The Mines

[image]

The Mojave was hot temps in the 100-107 range but we cruised on through AC blowing away

Slideshow San Jose to Sedona

My wife picked a RV resort in the heart of Sedona right on Oak Creek with full hookups. easy access to trails and restaurants we really liked it> Rancho Sedona RV Park complete with Great Blue Herons roosting in the Sycamore trees in the campground

[image]

the views from the trails were excellent and the puppies gave their approval

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

the food and drink at both the Oak Creek Brewery and the Javalina Grill were excellent

[image]

[image]

[image]

Sedona Slide Show

Next up was a drive through Monument Valley finishing up at Mesa Verde for the night

and yes we got our kicks on route 66

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Ship Rock from near 4 Corners

[image]

Monument Valley slide show

Mesa Verde National Park, what can I say but wow

Spruce tree House

[image]

[image]

[image]

The Cliff Palace
[image]

[image]

[image]

Mesa Verde Slideshow

Silverton CO and our 4x4 jeep trip..Ok I admit I was a bit nervous about going over the high passes in the truck and TC and in retropect it would have been worth it to drop by Ford and get it reprogammed for high altitude as I was smoking and had little power on the low end. Once moving though it was back to full power and the 10000 foot plus passes were no problem

the road from Durango to Silverton

The train
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

our campsite in Silverton at 9300 feet
[image]

downtown
[image]

We rented a Jeep Wrangler and headed out on the Alpine loop
which took us over some passes that were just shy of 13000 feet

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Silverton Jeep Adventure

I did do a little fly fishing in Durango on the Animas river right in front of the United RV Park where we stayed

[image]

[image]

Fly Fishing

Now the main reason for the "Ahem" road trip was to be the best man at my friends wedding in Durango. Marty was the best man at my wedding 12 years ago so I was flattered to be there for him and Beth

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

me and my wife
[image]

The wedding party

Unfortunately we had to cut the trip short by 3 days as a crisis developed at my wifes office and she needed to get back, so I drove from Durango to San Jose in two days with a stop over for sleep in Vegas
two 11 hour days behind the wheel at 70 mph just about killed me. temps out by Hoover dam hit 115*

the drive from hell

10 days and 2400 miles

* This post was last edited 06/19/12 04:43pm by Buzzcut1 *   View edit history

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report looks like you had a great trip.

nolra

Midland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, looks like you got a lot into 10 days! I love Silverton, one of my favorite places. Wrote myself some notes from your trip. Thanks for posting the details!

03 Dodge 2500 Cummins SB Quad
Casita 17" with D rated LT's
2004 AWD Astro van (solo camper) Lifted, locked, "E" AT/KOs.

Photo gallery

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report and stunning pics. We're totally envious!

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking trip and pictures. Your first wedding picture looks like it came from 'Men in Black', with some stranger butting in.

Cal

Camreal

Kerrville, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip.
Will be heading that way in about 2 weeks!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 03:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worthy, and best wishes for your friends marriage.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report, thanks

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You three look like the Blues Brothers [emoticon]

...however, you could be "men in black", too [emoticon]

Excellent trip report and supporting photo pages!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL Sleepy, the last thing the Groom said before we walked out was "It's 1000 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses"

some thoughts and coments. We stopped at Camping World in Flagstaff to correct an ongoing annoyance that on this trip created a disaster. the cabinet locks on the Lance suck. The cabinets will open if anything of any size hits them from the inside. The las straw was a bump that sent a 750 ml bottle of olive oil flying across the camper shattering on the stove and covering the carpet runners wall and floor with oil and glass. The fix was too easy, I used the same things we use in the refigerator to keep evertyhing on the shelf

[image]
[image]

the stock mattress, I didn't realize how bad it was until we put the full size posturpedic queen matress in befor the trip. 10 nights of awesome sleep.

[image]

The Toyo Open Country HT tires in 285/75R16 handle so nicely and after 9 months of use with the TC and/or TC and horse trailer this is how they look

[image]

lastly check the tire and airbacg pressure each morning while on the road. The airbags, well for me just a few pound off the sweet spot and I can really tell the difference in side winds a rough roads. Tires...man I cant tell you how many folks we passed with blown tires out in the Mojave on TC's Class A's C's Fivers. Wrong tire pressure, heavy loads, air temps between 110-115 and you are asking for disaster

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report 2400 miles of desert SW in 10 days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.