|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help please with tc selection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mickeyd21

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. After going through the posts, I see that I bought the "wrong" truck for truck camping. I have a new F-150 extended 6.5ft box with the 5.0l. Ford says I can have a payload of 1830. I know there are other ways to get the true number for payload by going to a scale, which I will do soon. My wife and I are in the market for a truck camper anyways, and we like the Adventurer 80gs and Lance 825. After further review, the lance seems too heavy for the truck. Anyone have either of these tc's with a similar truck? I don't want to mod the f-150 unless I absolutely have too and I don't want to buy another truck so please save those comments for someone else. I would just like to know if it is reasonably safe to have either or even a pop up with a bathroom if possible.
Thanks for your help.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Ford 150 will carry smaller TC's... My opinion is to look into a used one that will fit within the weight parameters of your vehicle. Get into the TC "lifestyle" and experiment if it works for you before upgrading in truck or camper before plopping down a lot of jack. Have fun, gain knowledge before jumping in too much only to find out that it may not be what you had in mind. Look for what will work for that truck and go from there.

ON EDIT: any misspelling is fully blamed on the McClellands's (LOL)

* This post was last edited 06/23/12 12:01am by d3500ram *   View edit history

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend with the Lance 825 on a long bed Super Cab 150. You will need airbags and check your tire weight ratings.

Arctic Fox 811S-Ford SuperDuty F250-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW 1600sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for rig details.

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi we have a 2011 80ws Adventurer from the factory with roof rack, roof latter, outside BBQ gas line,happy
jacks and radio it weighed 2300. On the sheet I have in front of me a 80gs wieghts 1466. Just some
information. We do enjoy our Adventurer. For the price and afew upgrades I did its a great camper.
We haul ours on a F250 Bob

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you better be looking for a camper that has a dry weight of 1000 to 1200 lbs if you don't want to get a new truck or add anything to it..

Paul

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfootchevy wrote:

I believe you better be looking for a camper that has a dry weight of 1000 to 1200 lbs if you don't want to get a new truck or add anything to it..

Paul
I completely agree with that.

He should be looking at Palomino pop-up campers, or something similarly light weight and small, possibly from Outfitter, Hallmark, etc.

Very few hard side campers will fit within the payload capacity of his truck. If he had the HD version of the F150, he would have another 700 - 1000 lbs of payload capacity to play with and could haul a reasonably small hard side camper.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd start with a smaller TC on a 150. If your asking for an opinion about the brands. I've owned a 2004 Lance and thought it was a great camper. I now have a 2012 Adventurer. I recommend you steer clear of Adventurer. See why here. This is only my experience. Take it for what it is. Others on here have Adventurers and are happy with them. But you asked so...

Adventurer/Ford

mickeyd21

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiscoChicken wrote:

I'd start with a smaller TC on a 150. If your asking for an opinion about the brands. I've owned a 2004 Lance and thought it was a great camper. I now have a 2012 Adventurer. I recommend you steer clear of Adventurer. See why here. This is only my experience. Take it for what it is. Others on here have Adventurers and are happy with them. But you asked so...
did you have the lance on a half ton? The smallest lance now has a dry weight of 1730lb.too big for my comfort level.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found that a lot of the older TCers are lighter. They had smaller fridges, no air conditioning, no basements - the same model today has upgraded (or larger) fridges and additional items to make them heavier.

You may want to contact a manufacturer with a list of must haves and see what weight they give you. I looked at one unit that when I removed all the items that I did not want saved me close to 1000lbs - of course I added some things like larger water tanks that used up some of that savings.

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 4 Door
1992 Northern Lite 9'- 6" Camper
Homemade Cargo Trailer for hauling supplies
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/12 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I had the lance on a 250. I thought lance made older models like 815 for a 150. I would try a used tc first. Make sure you like it. These are a unique driving experience. Some folks just plain don't like it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help please with tc selection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS