RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Using two Power Outlets at CS? Any problems?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using two Power Outlets at CS? Any problems?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RusLwt001

Dacula, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we hook up at a site, I obvioulsy use the 30Amp outlet on the site. However, whenever the DW uses her hair dryer we have to turn things off, sometimes the AC to keep from flipping a circuit. Then it just gets too hot inside without the AC. My thought is that I run a separate power cord from the 110 outlet on the site to the bathroom in the TT. The outside shower opening is right beneath the bathroom sink. This way she can connect the Hair dryer to that cord and hopefully continue to run the AC inside the TT. Does anyone see any problems with this idea? Is drawing 30Amp and 110 at the same time from the same site outlet going to cause any problems with the 30AMP or my TT electrical system? I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS

Russ
2012 Ram 1500 V8 5.7 Hemi
2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS

jdkd123

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put in a recepticle just for that purpose. I carry a 12 gauge, 25' extension cord that connects to the RV and that then connects to 2 inside plugs. DW uses it for the hair dryer. It has worked really well. I did run it through a GFI breaker too.

JDKD123
2005 Coachmen CONCORD

GO SOX!

jyh818

Chino, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be no problem at all. I did just that once in Las Vegas in 117 degree temp.

We got a stand alone AC unit inside the trailer. Ran an extension cord through the side of the slide out and plugged in to the 15A outlet on the post.

With both AC blasting, we were able to get the temp inside the trailer to 96 degrees. Still way too hot, but the portable AC did as advertised. Drop 20 degrees below ambient temp.

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the pole has a 50amp outlet as well...you will be able to do exactly what you are planning. The pole is usually wired with 2 legs of 50amps each... The 30 amp outlet is on one leg...the 20amp outlet on another...so with an extension cord running to the 20amp outlet...that hair dryer can go full tilt and not take anything away from the 30amps that your RV is using.

If you are connected to a pedestal that only has a 30amp and 20amp outlet...then it depends on what the electrician used to supply it. If they only used a 30amp supply...then you'll run into tripping breakers...

I put a pedestal in my yard...and elected to run 80 amps to it... I can theoretically run a 50amp rv, 30amp rv, and a 20amp GFCI outlet all at the same time I don't plan to do that...I did it more in case I want to plug my tig welder in outside. It will make it easy to temporarily swap breakers to avoid nuisance trips when welding.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it all the time.... I just run an extension cord into the trailer and run what ever I need it for. The 20AMP pedestal circuit has its own circuit breaker so wont trip the 30A trailer breaker...

The high current things like you mentioned including electric heaters and vacuum cleaner etc can be plugged into the 20AMP circuit.

I carry extra extension cords just for these kinds of things that come up...

Some high profile camp sites may have meters on there pedestals but most others do not...

Its interesting at Westmoreland State park here in VA. they have tent camper pads mixed in with the Rv pads... Some have Electric and Water and some don't... After a day when everyone arrives you see all kinds of cords running all over the connecting areas where lots of tent campers realize there is electric close by and hooks in haha...

I would use what I needed unless there is a sign saying otherwise...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RusLwt001

Dacula, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know, this is the best forum for answering questions. Thank you all. I just wasn't sure, but now I feel a lot better. I like the idea of hooking up a GFCI outlet; however, how do you do that without cutting the wires in the extension cord? I think I can see this in my mind, but it just isn't there. Do I connect to outlets to each other; one to receive the input and then one to output the power? Or, do I just plug the cord into one of the outlets and it provides power to the other? Obviously not an electrician so these ideas probably sound kinda strange, huh?

oakmandan

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done that many times when camping where it is very cold. I run 2 ceramic heaters. One hooked up to indoor outlet, one with cord to outdoor 110.

Dan and Diann
Sherman the smelly Basset
2012 Coachmen Clipper 14R Travel Trailer
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Adrenaline.

Nights camped 2008 .. 16
2009 .. 26
2010 .. 21
2011 .. 10
2012 .. 24

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RusLwt001 wrote:

You know, this is the best forum for answering questions. Thank you all. I just wasn't sure, but now I feel a lot better. I like the idea of hooking up a GFCI outlet; however, how do you do that without cutting the wires in the extension cord? I think I can see this in my mind, but it just isn't there. Do I connect to outlets to each other; one to receive the input and then one to output the power? Or, do I just plug the cord into one of the outlets and it provides power to the other? Obviously not an electrician so these ideas probably sound kinda strange, huh?
There are more than a few ways to enable the connection between TT and pedestal with GFCI on the trailer end. 1)Buy an extension cord with the GFCI built in. 2)Direct wire a cord from an installed GFCI receptacle on the TT 3)Install a power inlet on the TT and use the specific cordset to connect to the pedestal. The wiring from the power inlet should have a circuit breaker and downstream wiring of a GFCI receptacle can be done. 4)If the pedestal has a 20 amp GFCI receptacle, any device powered by an extension cord would also be protected-do nothing.
Hope that helps.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rgolding

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE have a secondary circuit to the trailer, purely for the ceramic heater or the hair dryer. Works great! It hooks into the GFI on the campground power pedestal, but I have a conversion plug that it could be hooked to the 30 amp or 50 amp circuits.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan

2005 ARCTIC FOX 30U "Life's Good!"
2009 Chevy 2500HD Diesel w/ Allison Transmission

jdkd123

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Russ-

I put this connector on the outside of my RV to accept the female end of an extension cord from the post. From this, I ran wire to two dedicated recepticals inside. This is a Marinco brand plug with a watertight cap.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using two Power Outlets at CS? Any problems?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS