|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I just can't help myself

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new 5er has become a bit of a money pit. Being a gadget freak doesn't help matters either. The problem is that there are all these cool things to add on to our new toy that I just can't help myself. Today they installed the Reico Titan Ground Control leveling system and as soon as the Dirt Devil central vacuum system gets here I'll be installing that as well. Added to the other goodies we have installed since taking delivery in December and it really adds up, but we now have a fairly well equipped trailer that hopefully will serve us well for the next 5 or 10 years. So many toys, so little money........

Steve

Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So---When are you going to add the semi tractor to the front hitch so you can pull that monster????

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first added upgrades was to beef-up the battery system so we could camp off the power grid "successfully" which included smart-mode converter/charger, bigger battery cables and Marine quality battery switches/fuse blocks/, added more batteries, Remote DC Voltage and Current monitors, 2KW Honda Generator with RV adapters and extension cords, changed to LED lightning, and added Inverters.

Once being able to camp off the power grid for 3-4 days successfully and re-charge my batteries every morning then I started looking at other toys like HDTV, Noah WX alert radios, better OTA antenna, portable air compressor and blow-out water inlet adapters, better ways to get on the internet and not depend on the poor WIFI connections at camp sites. Camping off the power grid around these parts of the EAST side of the US has to take in the considerations of only being allowed to run generator at specific generator run time periods. I would love to get at least a 120W Solar Power addition now as well to do even better keeping my batteries charged during the sun light periods of the days.

Now I am working on better security for my battery banks/propane tanks, motion detectors for trailer. This is will include a metal lock box on the trailer tongue for the batteries and a better way to lock-up my propane tanks. I may even have separate battery banks with half on the trailer and the other half in the back of the truck that can be connected together when camping off the power grid.. My goal is to be self sustained and not depend on camp site power.

All of this is for my little 4200lb loaded OFF-ROAD POPUP. Have considered getting one of those big boys trailers a couple of times but haven't done it yet... Sounds like too much work for me... Still lots of things left to do with my 17-foot OFF-ROAD setup... I've been at this so long now my five-to-six year old batteries are just now starting to bite the dust so will have to start looking for new batteries soon.

Right now we can camp off the power successfully for days on end, even a couple of weeks at a time and come back home with 90% charged state batteries... Not as easy to do as one would think... You just cant do one thing to make it work successfully... Have to approach it from a systems point of view...

* This post was edited 06/26/12 04:49am by RoyB *

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you quit doing mods to it,it's time to sell it and start over.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

jdkd123

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

57 Panhead wrote:

Our new 5er has become a bit of a money pit. Being a gadget freak doesn't help matters either. The problem is that there are all these cool things to add on to our new toy that I just can't help myself. Today they installed the Reico Titan Ground Control leveling system and as soon as the Dirt Devil central vacuum system gets here I'll be installing that as well. Added to the other goodies we have installed since taking delivery in December and it really adds up, but we now have a fairly well equipped trailer that hopefully will serve us well for the next 5 or 10 years. So many toys, so little money........

Steve

Think of the positive....You probably have more money than your bankrupt city of Stockton. I guess you could stop spending and donate some of that spare change to your city. After all, isn't that what all good teamsters do?

JDKD123
2005 Coachmen CONCORD

GO SOX!

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdkd123 wrote:

Think of the positive....You probably have more money than your bankrupt city of Stockton. I guess you could stop spending and donate some of that spare change to your city. After all, isn't that what all good teamsters do?

I'm going to hang on to what little I have and let the morons who got us into this mess get us out. Who ever said I was a "GOOD" Teamster, I only said I am a RETIRED Teamster!!

Steve

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One nice thing about being "older" is that we have learned to make purchases very selectively. Partly because of necessity but also because we have learned that we don't need most of that "stuff". It not only is expensive but adds weight and has to be kept somewhere.

Jayco-noslide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I just can't help myself
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS