|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> High cost of camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll be up at Eagle Lake, North of Reno a couple of hours, next week. This is one of our favorites in the northern Sierra-Nevada's.
$28 per night - full hookups.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buc1980 wrote:

This year I was on vacation and I pay 54$ per day camping fee in Michigan.I wander how many retiree can afford the cost of camping this days.The fee today don't think that will kill the camping spirit?

What about senior passes where you live? Have you looked into them? We save 50% at COE CGs w/the Golden Pass. Check your state parks and COE campgrounds. The private CGs are the most expensive so we seldom stay in one.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I'll add this: Yes, I didn't start camping/RVing for economy and I'm willing to pay what I have to to continue, if I'm able. However, I just came back a few weeks ago from a 979 mile round trip to Half Moon Bay and Big Basin Redwoods State Park. It was a 6 night trip with of which I had full hookups for only 2. I brought food from my home fridge/freezer, but did eat out a number of times with friends, purchased all the trinkets I wanted, had 2 dinner parties with friends at the camper with wine, etc. The total cost of the trip including gas, camp fees, Entrance fee to one attraction, extra food, wine, etc. ended up at just under $1,000. I did NOT economize on this trip at all. So 6 nights (7 FULL days) at $1,000 ends up being under $150 per day. There is no place I know of that I can travel to that includes lodging, food, transportation, entertainment and souvenirs for $150 per day. Most hotels I stay at are at LEAST that much normally.

That said, if you can afford it, and love what you are doing..... then do it! There is a cost for everything in this life and you just have to pick and choose which ones you want to do more. You can camp cheaply or over the top expensive... your choice

Dak

1995 Weekender model 910 extended cabover
Calvin, the 1996 creampuff Chev Silverado 3500 extended cab dually
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use one of the campground books and call to verify prices. I have been able to find nice CG for up to 50% less the the resorts. I don't need all of the frills. At my age I don't need an indoor water park and a 2000sq foot game room. Just be a smart consumer.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just figure that we still have a lot of out kid's inheritance to spend.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why I almost always pay by the month. However, I realize not everyone is in a position to do that. Monthly space rental is usually about 1/3 the cost of the daily rate, although you do have to factor in electricity (which is included in the daily or weekly rate at most places). Unless you use an enormous amount of electricity the monthly rate is still the most reasonable.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

horizon36

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the course of the last 12 months our campground costs have averaged $306.50 per month. The range has been from $80 to $590 per month. We boon dock whenever feasible, stay at PA discount parks and sometimes stay at resorts.

We are also cutting costs by workcamping. We are presently on our first volunteer camp hosting position in a national park and it's been great. By doing this we will reduce our monthly average expenditures for both diesel and camping fees even further.

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

850 days fulltiming, campground fees average 2.20 per night.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buc1980 wrote:

This year I was on vacation and I pay 54$ per day camping fee in Michigan.I wander how many retiree can afford the cost of camping this days.The fee today don't think that will kill the camping spirit?

You must be going to private campgrounds. Try the State Parks and COE CGs. If we had to pay $54 a day we would give up camping. With our senior card we pay $12 a day here in a forested COE CG on a lake. It's only $10 a day for site across the road. This includes water and electric. The dump station is by the exit.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

I'm still amazed how some people with the means to buy and maintain an RV costing a quarter million dollars or more complain about the nightly fees at RV parks and would rather spend the night for free at a Walmart parking lot. Only in America.

How do you know how much someone spent on their RV? I see older and old rigs everywhere we go. The owners certainly didn't pay a quarter of a mil for them. And if someone complains here on this forum, you have no way to know what they paid for their rig.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> High cost of camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS