RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Purchase in US-Warranty Work in Canada?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Purchase in US-Warranty Work in Canada?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RB211

Victoria, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in the market for a MH and are considering a Thor ACE product. Here on Vancouver Island BC we're limited to one dealer who has a no dicker policy on their pricing and as such their bottom line on the 29.2 is 96.7K Cdn.

The same model can easily be had in the States for 72K.

I contacted Thor and they said that their warranty is honored on both sides but their may be issues about the LPG system conforming to Cdn standards and that the dealer franchises should honor warranty work however they may give priority to their local customers.

I haven't checked into riv.ca but I suspect as the Thor MotorCoach is importable (if that's a word) the only Cdn regulation things that should need changing after the CdnTire inspection is the Kilometer sticker and maybe daytime running lights.

In my pea brain I figure if the new US purchased/imported unit needed mechanical warranty work at the local Ford dealer they won't care if you bought the RV from the US or Canada as they don't sell them. Now if the local Thor dealer here wants to put me on hold for warranty work I frankly don't get that as they're going to get money from Thor for the work.

Any comment in general would be greatly appreciated....

I have imported a Honda Element from New Mexico before, save about 10K dollars and as you likely know took no effort at all and just a few bucks for the import fee as they're assembled in the US.

Ron

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,D buy in the U.S.A I have a leisure travel van made in canada , I only needed a warrenty help one time . it was approved they sent me the check to have it fixed .worked great

netjam

Canadian on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck getting service in Canada for a US product. In 5 years of rving the very first question asked by a servicing dealer in Canada is "Did you purchase it here? (meaning at this dealership)" If you answer "no" the response is almost always "Sorry we can not work on your rv." If you are in the USA...no problem, but getting service in Canada for an rv you did not purchase at that dealership (even if its a Canadian rv the same make as those sold at the dealership) is almost impossible in my experience.

Macktee

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't even hesitate, for that much difference. All of these units come from the US anyway. Macktee

04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron
IMO, for those type of savings you could afford to mix anything minor yourself, and take the rig back to the selling dealer for anything complex.

Have you checked to see if you can get a reasonable deal at some dealership in the lower-mainland?

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

RB211

Victoria, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hoping that the only angst with dealing with warranty work is limited to RV issues, which I can deal with myself or when I go south again, but the mechanical Ford V-10 and chassis issues could be resolved with the local Ford dealership without any issues at all.

Hopefully??

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've bought our last 5 vehicles in the US (3 mhs, 1 minivan and 1 boat) so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from the US. Confirm with the manufacturer that they will offer warranty support in Canada but I don't believe it's a problem for any manufacturer. As far as the local service center, they might give you a bit of a hard time and treat their customers better but the bottom line is that they do make a lot of money on service and won't turn anyone away.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fortunately Ford and any other chassis mfr. are not small minded like RV dealers. The former will provide the same warranty coverage in either country. Have you checked with Thor to see if they will reimburse you for work done at an independent repair facility? You are paying the price for living on an island with greedy merchants.

Moisheh

RB211

Victoria, BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input fellas....Plan A will be to look south for the price and then give the local dealer the opportunity to counter with a reasonable number I can live with. I suspect that it won't be closer enough but I will try.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have purchased several RV's in the USA and have never had a warranty issue that wasn't handled in a timely manner by the Canadian RV Dealers.

When We lived in Victoria We dealt with Arbutus,Peden's,Triangle and Years ago Fennel's. All were great to deal with for the usual Appliance issues.

We have however had a problem getting decent prices on RV's and Parts from Every RV Dealer in BC .

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..92 Tracker 4X2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Purchase in US-Warranty Work in Canada?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS