RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Replacing my Thetford Aqua Magic IV Toilet.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Replacing my Thetford Aqua Magic IV Toilet.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Skline01

Mission, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a foot valve that doesn't fully close on my current toilet and the water will leak into the bowl (it is not a big leak so unless you pay attention you will not catch it). I have lubricated the area as suggested in the trouble shooting guide and it still doesn't resolve the issue. I have done a fair amount of DIY items in my RV's but never a toilet. My thought is by the time I pay a dealer or camping world to look at it and/or repair it I could just about replace the toilet and do it myself. I have seen one "you tube" on the process and looked in the manual - it appears pretty simple. I have also learned the hard way not to assume things so I thought I would call on the collective wisdom of this forum to get feedback. Is it that hard to replace an RV toilet and are leaks that much of an issue? When I researched this on the Thetford website they recommend replacing with the Aqua Magic V. The toilet sets on a step up so I would get the low rise version. The new model comes with either a foot pedal (which I currently have) or a hand flush option - any thoughts on that? As always thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

USMC Mustang 8989

trnfla

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced mine with the hand flush after my foot pedal broke. It was extremely easly as long as the water hook up line to the correct length.

Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

JcoFS3500

East Central OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just rebuilt our Thetford 510 since it was leaking fresh water on the carpet and the bowl wouldn't hold water anymore. About $90 at the local RV place (probably would have been $50-60 online) and one afternoon and I pulled it out, cleaned it up, replaced the vacuum breaker and the flush seal. Not near as hard as I thought it might be.

I'd look at what the cost would be to fix it yourself but that's just me. I priced a replacement toilet when I bought my parts and they were wanting close to $400 for a comparable unit. For that money, I'll fix what I have.

'93 Jayco FS3500 TT behind a '92 Dodge D250 powered by 5.9L Cummins

'94 Vogue Prima Vista powered by 8.3L Cummins w/ 6spd Allison

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would remove toilet........take it outside.
Disassemble, thoroughly clean it.
Install new water valve assembly, new bowl seal and new floor flange gasket.

You now have a 'new' toilet........learned all about it and inexpensive.

Link to 'Installation& Owners Manual'
Just download manual & print out copy.

Have fun......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More than likely you simply have a crud buildup in the groove the flush valve slides into. Use a toothbrush and scrub that area very well using water and vinegar. Scrub the slide valve as well. Then lube it all up and try it. Make sure you put a piece of twine on the toothbrush in case you drop it. Digging that out will be another day of "fun" if you lose it in the "hole"....dirty job but worth it in the long run. If that's not your cup of tea, changing out the toilet is an easy job. The bottom part should split in half exposing the screws. As stated above, these toilets are easily rebuildable and you'll have the equivalent of a new toilet when you're done at a fraction of the price...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Alaskan Class C

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a broken toilet in my rv but it was so old they did not make parts to fix it other than the entire flush assembly which cost almost as much as a whole new toilet. So I spent a little extra and got the dometic traveler china potty. Way nicer than the plastic toilet. My wife really likes it. So if you do replace it consider getting china.

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one of the older models and had the same thing parts were over $60 so I bought a new AquaMagic V foot flush for $125 and a $30 rebate.
best price I found

Swap out is fairly easy I had to adjust the flange for the new toilet as the holes did not line up.

1. Disconnect the water line at back of toilet.

2. Depending on the toilet remove the hold down nuts on the side if you don't see any hold down nuts the there will be one under/behind the foot flush and another under a removable plug at the rear left on the top of the toilet.
(you will need a long extension to remove the rear nut).

3. Remove the toilet weighs about 8 pounds or less.

4. Install new seal on the bottom of the new toilet (comes with the toilet).

5. If the hold down screws do not line up you will have to rotate the flange to the new position. Remove the flange hold down screws then use a screwdriver and a hammer to "rotate" the flange to the left. (Installing one for a friend I had to use a Dremal tool to make new slots as the flange would NOT move).

6. Install new screws in flange.

7. You will most likely need to lengthen the water line.
Very easy, at the hardware store buy a Shark Bite with a built in shut off valve one end pushes into the old line the other end allows you to screw on a new short length of braided toilet hose. The only trick for installing the SharkBite the waterline must be cut straight just push the SharkBite into the line until you hear a click no clamps required.

8. Install new water line between the SharkBite and toilet.

9. Install new toilet. The hold down nuts will need to be re-tightened after a few days do not over tighten.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Skline01

Mission, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone who replied with all of the great insight and experience. Once I reviewed everything and priced the parts I decided to just go ahead and buy the new AM V. I did really appreciate the link to the low price, with that and the $25 rebate it made it not that much more then buying the parts. Thanks also about the things to think about and be prepared for as I pull the old one out and put I the replacement.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've replaced mine. It was actually more simple than a home toilet. It was 2 bolts, a small gasket, and water line.

Just be sure to dump the black tank or stuff an old shirt or something in the hole once you lift the toilet to eliminate the gag factor [emoticon]

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just fixed mine with the same type of problem. The parts were less than $20 and it took about 30 minutes. If I knew then what I know now I would have just fixed it in the camper (working blind)but like someone else said it only two bolts (1/2 inch) and a hand tight water connection.

2006 Monaco Diplomat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Replacing my Thetford Aqua Magic IV Toilet.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.