RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Need new tires ALREADY!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Need new tires ALREADY!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I`m interested to see the pics of the tires!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

panamacamper1 wrote:

I will try to post pictures today of the tires. The middle of the tire is perfect. The inside tread is bald and the outside tread are bubbled up.
They are H118ST tires, never heard of them before.

If the inside edge is bald, especially on all four tires, it sure sounds like the axles are overloaded. You say the outside is bubbled....that sounds like a heat issue, which could likely go along with the idea of overloaded.

There have been other threads on this forum where cruiser and the axle supplier have stepped up to the plate and installed a higher load rated axle. If I were you, I would approach them in a reasonable way and see if you can get some relief from them.

I would take the rig to the CAT scale and get the weights so that you can show them you are in fact within the limits of the trailer GVWR.

The tire you refer to ( H118ST ) is apparently one of what I will call "generic chinese produced tires". It is what came as a spare on my funfinder, yet the four tires on the ground that came on it were "Freestar".
As a side note, so far these Freestars are okay. My plan is to replace them soon with LT tires, but as I said, so far they have been okay. I've got about 5K miles on them and they have only used up about 1/32" of tread. All of which means nothing in comparison to your situation, because my trailer only weighs 3800 pounds, so it's only running at a bit more than 50% of it's tire load capacity.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

panamacamper1 wrote:

snip... The inside tread is bald and the outside tread are bubbled up.

Gee, that sounds familiar. Mine only cost me $420 to get it aligned. Only! Let me guess, you've had a boatload of people insist your running the tires under inflated? I'd check the axle location measurements before I'd get too far down the road on anything else. Leaf or torsion axle?

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Gpcamper

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just picked up 2013 shadow cruiser 280 qbs. After 1500 km had major issue with one tire. Completely bald on one right side back tire, but only on the outside, called the dealership and cruiser rv, they offered me $90.00 to replace the tire, I don't think he has shopped much for rv tires... Anyways neither has been any help at all and decided to fix this on my own and hopefully get home ok... I have heard of some major issues with the axle's, so if you are considering this unit maybe wait a few years so they can sort it out.

SilnJohn

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same exact wear on my shadow cruiser, we had about 1500 of our own miles plus what ever miles to ship it out to Colorado. We were just under our 1 year warranty so I took it to the dealer. Lippert replaced the axles and the tires. I paid the difference and went with Maxxis tires.

I would take it into the dealer ASAP and have it checked out, several of these lippert axles have been replaced under warranty.

I am measuring tread wear after each trip now to see if the problem is corrected. I think there is an alignment issue as well since my rears wore more than leads. At the first sign of uneven tread wear I am hitting the alignment shop.

Edit Below:

The H188ST are produced for WD (World Distributors) the primary distributor in the US is tredit tire. From what I could find out they are a package rim/tire combo sold to mass markets like RV and boats trailer manuf's. There is not much more info on the brand.

When the dealer replaced my axles they found the bearings were nearly dry also, I am hoping new axles and repacked bearing solves the issue but only time will tell.

* This post was last edited 07/31/12 11:35am by SilnJohn *   View edit history

2012 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 Platinum
2012 Infiniti G37xS
2012 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS

panamacamper1

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE:
Currently working with Leos Vacation Center where I purchased my 280 Shadow Cruiser. They are help me with Cruiser RV and Lippert on getting my issue resolved. Looks like they will cover the axles and tires. I will keep you posted. I also recommend Keos to anyone in the market for a new unit.

Gpcamper

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks SilnJohn, I plan in doing that ASAP ... Other than that we love the TT, just too bad when your on the road away from major centers there isn't much you can do. I will update when issue is solved

GTAGRIP

Derry, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! I have probably close to 8,000 miles on my 2008 Jayco that have Goodyears on it and they still look brand new, like the day I brought the trailer home.

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

panamacamper1 wrote:

UPDATE:
Currently working with Leos Vacation Center where I purchased my 280 Shadow Cruiser. They are help me with Cruiser RV and Lippert on getting my issue resolved. Looks like they will cover the axles and tires. I will keep you posted. I also recommend Keos to anyone in the market for a new unit.

Thanks for the update.

If they install new axles that are "next size up", do remember to ask them about replacing the leaf spring packs as well. If axle goes "next size up", then its leaf springs may need "next size up" as well.

panamacamper1

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer told me that Lippert was sending new axles that still had 3500 on the label but were really 5200. I questioned why something would say 3500 from the factory when they really are 5200.
I will be able to see if there is a difference. What do you guys recommend for a 205/75/14 D LOAD tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Need new tires ALREADY!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS