|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
CLB

DeWinton

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 02:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I've just joined the forum and have a bit of a Newbie question

We currently own a 2007 Arctic Fox 25P. Bought the trailer to live and work in through the winter and it works excellent even through last year's cold Canadian winter - it stays in one spot through the whole winter as my job location does not change.

In the summer we find the trailer heavy and cumbersome for pulling around on camping trips and holidays. It weighs in at around 8500lbs fully loaded with fluids and gear and is a hair over 26 feet bumper to hitch. We pull it with a 2005 Ford F250 diesel.

Because of this we are considering trading down to a smaller 4 season unit. A few models on the plate so far; Arctic Fox/Nash 22 series, Creek Side 18CK and a few others. These range from 4500 - 5100lbs dry verses the 25P's 6900lb dry weight.

So here's my question. Trailer length aside, what has more impact on towing: weight or frontal area (wind resistance)? For instance the Arctic Fox 25P and 22G have nearly the same frontal area but the 22G is nearly 2000lbs lighter. So will the 22G tow significantly better? Or is the old Ford still going to struggle up a grade?

I don't want to trade down the 25p for a model that is 2000lbs lighter but feels nearly the same when pulling!

Appreciate the feedback from those who are surely more experienced towing than myself!

Cheers.

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 F250 diesel pulling a 26' 6K lb. trailer. The truck rarely works hard unless the grade is extreme (greater than 6%). (Our max towing is 12.5K lb.) However, the truck pulled a 26' 6K lb. boat much much easier than it does the 6K lb. trailer. With the boat, we also worried less about headwinds, crosswinds, and passing trucks. So, I think the size of the trailer and it's frontage has a much greater effect.

I would rather pull a 9K lb. boat than a 9K lb. trailer. But, I'm sure a 6K lb. trailer is easier on grades than a 9K lb. trailer.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2013 Keystone Sprinter 277RLS

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By "Heavy and Cumbersome" do you mean that the truck has a hard time pulling it, or you just don't like something that "Big" to pull around.

I pull a 33' 5er with an 01 Dodge Cummins 5 sped, it weighs about 11.K to 12K lbs. loaded and i don't have issues.

Either your truck's engine needs some attention, or you transmission needs some attention.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig and Precious.
Portland, OR.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins 5 speed, 3.55 gears, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstien 5100's, 270,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind resistance will be a larger drag on the power and performance of ANY truck than a couple of thousand pounds. The WEIGHT will be most noticeable when pulling away from the curb but at highway speeds it will certainly be the frontal area (and shape) that has the most effect.

If your truck felt heavy and unresponsive with that trailer you might want to look at your hitch rather than the power. You should have had MORE than enough power for the weight but if not hitched with a good weight distributing hitch, properly adjusted it certainly CAN feel like somebody tied you to a tree.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the highway, the frontal area will have much more effect on the towing performance than weight will. Going up mountains, the weight will also come into play. That being said, I tow a 10,000lb trailer with my 2002 F250 diesel truck and it has no problems with doing the job. I suspect something must be wrong with your truck, OR your expectations are unrealistic for towing a large, heavy trailer. I don't think going to a little bit smaller, lighter trailer is going to eliminate the feeling you have when towing unless you really go very small and light.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

Camper JamesB

Wichita

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am surprised your truck is struggling. My old TT was 30 ft bumper to hitch and weighed 8k lbs loaded. It was on a 10k GVWR frame and sat up very high. I borrowed my Dad's 04 F250 when my 1/2 ton truck was in the shop and we really wanted to go camping. I drove my truck strait from the body shop to the dealer and traded it in on 3/4 ton diesel. All I needed was one drive with the diesel. I know, doesn't help you much, but I am really surprised you are having towing issues with the 6.0.

A little more, we got rid of our big camper mentioned above and couple years later got a 22ft TT. This time is paid for outright and no payments. We really miss the space of the bigger camper. Our current one is everything we NEED, but not nearly as much as we WANT. If it were me, I would have your truck checked out, something seems odd.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow in the mountains and its all about weight. Are you hauling more water than you need? You have a nice trailer, I'd change trucks. Good luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think in any case you'll notice 2000# difference. But pulling in the flats air resistance is the big player. Where you'll really notice the weight will be pulling mountain grades.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS