|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical Question-Battery Related

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
crtundra

Castle Rock, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've searched and read a few posts that discussed if a travel trailer can run on shore power alone but I can't find a post that matches my issue. If I unhook the battery, electrical will not work even though I'm still plugged into shore power. Does that sound right? I've read the manual on my 2008 Keystone Outback and it doesn't mention having a battery in place to run everything when on shore power.
The previous owner said the battery was four years old so I decided to replace it with a Walmart Everstart today. I checked the voltage on the battery while plugged into shore power and it was 12.49 volts.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some converters need a battery connected to work, others do not. Apparently yours requires a connected battery.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should talk to your dealer or Keystone. They can explain how the converter is wired.

crtundra

Castle Rock, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Gary. I don't have a great feeling about being dead in the water if my battery goes south. Can I replace my converter so that I can run shore power without a battery?

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crtundra wrote:

Thanks Gary. I don't have a great feeling about being dead in the water if my battery goes south. Can I replace my converter so that I can run shore power without a battery?

I failed to read your entire post.
Your battery should read over 13v because the converter should be charging it. A voltage reading of 12.49 volts says the converter is not charging the battery. Check the output of the converter directly, on the 12v wires coming out of the converter, whatever they are connected to first. If it is still the same you need to replace the converter. That may solve your original problem.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 01:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check and make sure converter is getting 110V AC power.....usually piggy back from a breaker for outlets and may not be marked on panel.

Just remove panel and visually see which breaker feeds it....check that it has power.

Then check converter output without battery.......should be ~13.6V DC

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some rigs need more power to start things and run every thing ect than the converter puts out. So many rigs I have seen you need a converter and battery in the 12 volt loop to run things. That way they can put a smaller converter in the rig. And it keeps charging the battery but does not have the power to run every thing. This works fine as you are not running every thing full time. But you need both to run things.
I question why you would want to run on shore power only.. Unless you will be living full time and never moving it. Many converters will tend your battery while stored or not being used and shut down until needed. Mine is one of those and it is also not large enough to run every thing in my 12 volt system at once.

As others said many are wired so all 12 volt comes thru the battery and the converter only charges the battery. So with the battery unhooked even when pluged in to 110 nothing works. My 72 Airstream was that way..

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your converter isn't working if you've only got 12.49 volts when plugged into shore power. That's why you have no 12v power when you remove the battery.
Fix the converter and then you can remove the battery. But, I wouldn't. Especially if you tow the trailer. The battery is legally required when the trailer is being towed on a public highway to activate the brakes in the event it becomes unhitched.

YakFishMo

Saint Marys, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Your converter isn't working if you've only got 12.49 volts when plugged into shore power. That's why you have no 12v power when you remove the battery.
Fix the converter and then you can remove the battery. But, I wouldn't. Especially if you tow the trailer. The battery is legally required when the trailer is being towed on a public highway to activate the brakes in the event it becomes unhitched.

Yup. I agree, your converter is not working. The big user of power is your slides. Don't try to operate slides without a battery. The converter is not designed nor capable of powering the slide motors.

2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS
2011 F-350 6.7 CC DRW

crtundra

Castle Rock, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I found the manual for my WFCO in the documentation from the previous owner. I'm going to run through the tests recommended by the manual and let everyone know what I come up with. My goal isn't to run without a battery, it's peace of mind that I can still run on shore power if my battery goes dead or grows legs and walks away .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical Question-Battery Related
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS