|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Nose down while towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think a little nose down is OK. Maybe even good. But, if it's as bad as you say they have something wrong. But, I'm no expert, just another trailer owner like you.

chevor

US/Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Their are hoping are car goes under them and provides them an added boost

Water-Bug

Banglidesh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The nose down condition may not be due to the trailer hitch or tongue weight at all. It just might be due to that quad or pair of dirt bikes that Joe Rookie loaded into the bed of his truck, befor even hooking up the trailer. The dealer sets up the hitch with the trailer and truck empty. That set-up may not be correct with a couple of dirt bikes in a toy hauler or the bed of the tow vehicle.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Trailer nose down will actually move the center of gravity of the trailer slightly more forward of the trailer axles. By doing so you will improve the stability of the tow.---
Yes, trailer nose down will move the CG slightly more forward.
But, the movement is so slight I doubt anyone would be able to detect an unfluence on towing stability.

Let's assume the distance from ball to axles' midpoint is 200".
Let's also assume the CG is 20" above TT's effective pivot point.
This means a 1" drop in the height of the ball coupler would cause the CG to move forward about 0.1".

With a ball to midpoint distance of 200" and a TW% of 15%, the "level" CG location would be about 30" forward of the axles' midpoint.
If you move the CG from 30" to 30.1" forward of midpoint, you change the TW% from 15% to 15.05%.
I think there would not be a noticible effect on towing stability.

Ron

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NanciL wrote:

the trailer should be as level as you can get it. Period !!!!!!

Jack L

AMEN!

In other words it does not matter one whit if the trailer is slightly nose down or nose up, just as long as it is as level as possible. The trailer will pivot about its centre of rotation (axle centre) and the longitudinal shift in CG will not make any discernible difference in any parameter, as Ron's calculations proved.

I tow slightly nose up because that is where the adjustment ended up. Would it be worth it to buy a new hitch so that I can tow it flatter. Nope - not when it tows just fine the way it is.

But that is just me.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nose up shifts weight to the back. Too much tail weight will cause sway.
I stay SLIGHTLY nose down.

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit should be level, but you should also have about 11% of the total weight as tongue weight. Our unit is just a tad bit nose down to achieve this 11%. You'd need a level, though, to notice. Looking at the hitched setup, you would never notice that it's not perfectly level.

Our dealer had our hitch so screwed up that I felt unsafe towing the unit home. I took it apart and did it myself. I actually phoned the engineer at manufacturer of the hitch, and he helped me over the phone. They were very helpful.

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS -- You also want your TV to squat evenly. In other words, you should lose the same amount of space in the fender openings in the front and back. You don't want the front end of the TV pointing up nor do you want the back hiked up because of the WD settings. Reese has a pretty good video on youtube about setting up the WD system.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of set ups going down the road that look incorrect to me with my limited knowledge. From what I have read and have been taught, that with a weight distributing hitch, you want it to sit level. That way the weight is distributed on both the front and rear of the vehicle. Most improper setups have been where the nose of the trailer is pushing down on the rear of the vehicle. Doing that lifts the front wheels up some causing it more difficult to steer and will give some sway issues as the driver is constantly having to move the steering wheel back and forth to compensate for the trailer pushing the front end of the vehicle from one side or another. I don't know if there is any correlation to this, but about 75% of the bad connections I have seen are SUV's with WDH's. Perhaps too much much tongue weight for the SUV?

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thib2722 wrote:

PS -- You also want your TV to squat evenly. In other words, you should lose the same amount of space in the fender openings in the front and back.

No, no, no! Every WD system and OEM TV description I have read says front axle weight (or estimated by fender height) returned to unhitched height, except the 2009+ F-150 which says use WD to return to half the distance of how much it was raised with just the trailer tongue hitched, no WD.

Many dealers do not know how to set up WD system. Also, most RV owners pick up a brand new RV with an empty truck bed and nothing in the TT. So, load up with family, camping gear in bed, fresh water tank full, and front outside storage loaded up, and the WD system needs to be readjusted.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Nose down while towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.