|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Beginner/Towing 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
JMC308

Rochester NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new to RVing, and don't like driving our motorhome. Would like to try a 5th wheel but unsure about a truck. We really like the Toyota Tundra, specifically the crew max model but it seems to only have a 5'5" bed. Thats not long enough is it?

jw of 4 corners

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the tundra is better suited for a tt than fifth wheel. I wouldn't even consider it for a fiver.

Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then

LOON17

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not A truck suited for the demands a fifth wheel put on a truck. It's not made for it . Look at one of the big three 250 or 2500 for starters you may need a 1 ton truck depending on weight of camper.

Tom & Karol
2008 Jayco 30.5 RLS
20 K B&W
2011 F-250 Diesel

reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will get a lot of responses from the weight police on this. I have a Tundra and it does fine and dandy with my fiver. There are more of us that is doing this also. But you will need to check into the lightweight models. Check out the this website.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-towing-hauling/

2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2010 Chevy Equinox

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest picking your trailer before you pick the truck. A capable truck makes the experience much more comfortable all around. If you are unhappy driving a motorhome you will be really unhappy towing with a marginally capable truck.

The Tundra is probably fine with a light weight fiver. With a short bed all you need is a slider hitch, though it can be done without one if you are careful.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your in real truck territory, as suggested get a truck from the big three in the 3/4-1T range. Believe me, you will never be sorry for having too much truck.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

LynnD

Western PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis M M wrote:

I suggest picking your trailer before you pick the truck. A capable truck makes the experience much more comfortable all around. If you are unhappy driving a motorhome you will be really unhappy towing with a marginally capable truck.

We are new at this, so new our ears are still wet. We just bought our rig in March, after nearly 2 years of looking and waiting. We have made many errors but this is one thing e did right. The dealer kept telling us, find the camper then fit the truck to it. We did and from what I have read and heard, I am so glad we did! We got a Ram 2599 heavy duty and pull a 29 foot Rockwood Fiver.

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to pick out your 5er and then choose a truck that can handle the weight. Basically a 1/2 ton can handle about the same as a 3/4 ton or about a 10,000 lb trailer. (A Tundra is rated for about the same payload capacity as an F250 CC diesel but only for towing upto 8100 lbs). A 1 ton SRW can handle up to about 15000 lb 5er and beyond 15000 you're best off with a dually. (The HD 3/4 ton, 1ton SRW and dually are all priced very similar - the most expensive is actually the SRW 1 ton with 20" rims - there is little point in buying a 3/4 ton for a tow vehicle)

2011 F350 SRW short box 4x4 CC 6.7 PS King Ranch
B&W TurnoverBall and Companion
2003 Citation Supreme 34 RLTS

Shadow_Grey

St. Louis, MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you pick out a x-lite trailer a well equiped 1/2 ton will be able to pul, go for it. If you pick out anything bigger you may as well for the price go with a 1 ton...then your choice will be SRW or dually?

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5' Chrome/Conv/Offroad/Max Tow/+ Packages,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs,Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As suggested above pick out the 5er you want then go shopping for the truck. That way you will match the truck to the trailer. Gas, Diesel, 1/2ton, 2500(3/4ton) or 3500(1ton), YOU will need to do research as to which truck will best be suited for all your requirements. DO NOT go by the "DRY WEIGHT" of the 5er. Use the GVWR to determine which truck will work best. Payload will be your stumbling block. Use 20% of the GVWR for your payload number. Then test drive your top 2 or 3 picks.

Good Luck

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Beginner/Towing 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search