|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question about big foot leveling system

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our new fifth wheel will be here in the next two weeks and am wondering if those that have the hydraulic leveling (Big Foot) carry wood or plastic blocks. I have no idea how much travel these hydraulic cylinders have. If your campsite is out of level it seems to me you might need theses blocks. Just curious as to what you (that have the system) do. Thanks in advance for any help.

HamsHog

Fulltimer/ Palm Springs, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only carry some 3/4" plywood to place under the pads for a larger footprint, but I don't camp either. Front legs have 30" of travel and rear about 24" I believe. You could check at the website or call Bigfoot.

Regards, Hamshog

2009 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB Dmax/Alli - SuperGlide 18K - Firestone Bags - 265/75R16's -
2010 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 w/ Big Foot - Champion 4000W
2005 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ
2007 Fleetwood Pegasus Ultralite M-180FQ

WeBeFulltimers

Here & There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 6 point Lippert system on a Montana and carry 6 pieces of 2 X 10 X 10 wood to use as needed. My favorite campground requires wood be used on all sites.

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Dennis M M

Winter in Tucson, AZ; summer on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just carry four pieces of 2X10 about two feet long to use if the ground is soft and on asphalt.

Leveling has never been an issue, although there was one city park where the front legs were extended farther than I was comfortable with so I just moved around in the site to a more level position.

The Bigfoot was the best accessory investment we ever made!

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Rossey

Appomattox, Virginia. / Rockville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the Big Foot system retro fitted last September. You're gonna love this system ! I still carry some of the plastic levelers & a few squares of plywood in the storage area but haven't needed em yet.

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been full time in a 5th wheel with factory installed BF for just over a year moving every 2-4 weeks. On one occasion I had a REALLY out of level site and one back jack didn't reach. I raised it, put a couple blocks under it, hit auto again and all was well.

I carry one set of those yellow plastic blocks just in case.

Larry

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo with the Big Foot system. First to answer your question. You can put the system on manual and check the travel of the front and rear jacks. In order for your system to self level, you must have the front higher that the rear. Your panel will tell you when this is accomplished as you raise the front jacks. Big Foot states that it is not necessary to put anything under the feet, but I do anyway, just to keep them cleaner. I would not hurt that if you noticed the site was way out of skew that you put a couple of 4x6 under one of the jacks.

Once your unit is higher in the front, hit "auto" and then let it do its thing.

Farmer David

Mattoon, ILL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you could always get by without any, but I carry a few boards with me. We go to a core park some times and there sites have loose gravel on them and I think our trailer is more stable if I put blocks of wood under the pads.

2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

Dutch & Di

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/12 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the BF system added to our Carriage just about 3 years ago. With the auto and manual functions, they leveled us in the most un- even of sites and we haven't had to use anything underneath. Di

2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can level your tires right off the ground so we carry a bag of the levelers to place under the tires when this happens. We also carry wooden blocks to place under each jack. Big Foot can be temperamental but we love it.

2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question about big foot leveling system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS