|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Portable Router

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been totally spoiled by the Internet Provider in that They have always provided a Wireless Router along with the Internet Service.

When travelling these devices are not tranportable so not really of any use in the RV.

This Winter We will once again hit the Road and rather than depend on Free WIFI which can be hit or miss We are going to use an Internet USB "Stick".

We would like to be able to use more than one Laptop/Tablet at a time so are wondering what Other Folk are using for an on board Router?

Can You suggest a decent Brand and model that works with a USB Stick?

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..92 Tracker 4X2

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a CradlePoint CTR35 (I think) router (CradlePoint CTR35). It's very compact, AC powered, accepts our USB 3G device, and broadcasts WIFI. We keep the router in our camper's bedroom and it broadcasts around our whole site.

When I set it up, I configured the router to request a password from all devices connecting to it. After we've connected the device, it functions just like our home router.

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same Cradlepoint router. Works very well with our air card. Last fall we got a smartphone that supports hotspot. This has been a better and cheaper setup than our air card. Still use the Cradlepoint to retransmit the signal at times. You may also want to look at a Verizon MIFI. You can have up to 5 connections on it.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad
Kodiak Chassis Class C Forum

Kiwi_too

Western, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WIFI Ranger Go has multiple capabilities.

May God bless your travels

Me, The Wonderful Wife
and two Spastic Border Collies
U.S. Army Retired
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2007 Saturn Outlook, FROG

hawkman541

Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a similar setup as "MegaJohn", but a different brand. We use a pay as you go USB Stick from Verizon that plugs right into the router, and we have a external extended range Wi-Fi antenna with built in Wi-Fi adapter that connects to the router via USB. I mount the Antenna on a short stick of 3/4"pvc and place that into a 1" pvc that is clamped to the ladder, and run the cable in via the slide. I get a boost to 100% on 75% of the signals I see. I can reach 3 to 5 miles with that antenna. For security, I use Avast Security Suite that comes with it's own secure browser when needed for banking and the such. Out of 12 months, I've used free wifi 10 months. Hope this helps, good luck.

2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can purchase a hotspot instead of the USB stick- same function, but the hotspot allows you to connect up to five devices by wifi to the Hotspot. Most providers that sell the usb stick also sell the hotspot box. There are also some Android phones and Iphones that are enabled to do the same thing using the phones data service.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

You can purchase a hotspot instead of the USB stick- same function, but the hotspot allows you to connect up to five devices by wifi to the Hotspot.

I would also think a mobile hotspot device would be easier to setup and less possible compatibility issues than a USB stick.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Portable Router
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS