|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Ford E450 V10 chassis question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm wrote:

"A note of shock. Wymoning and other states in that area have******for gas. Their regular is 85 octane which will damange a lote of newer engines. Mid grade is 87 and then it jumps to 91. Just be careful when you grab the handle in those states."

You might want to do some research on why these states have 85 octane. It is because of the higher altitude. As far as damage to engines I had two vehicles last to 200,000 miles. Two others have over 180,000 miles on them. All I have used is 85 octane. You might want to check the source of your information that 85 octane gas is bad.

Correct, the reason the mountain states sell 85 is because at a few thousand feet, the engine (any engine) runs better on a lower octane

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

philhoey

Central MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm wrote:

"A note of shock. Wymoning and other states in that area have******for gas. Their regular is 85 octane which will damange a lote of newer engines. Mid grade is 87 and then it jumps to 91. Just be careful when you grab the handle in those states."

You might want to do some research on why these states have 85 octane. It is because of the higher altitude. As far as damage to engines I had two vehicles last to 200,000 miles. Two others have over 180,000 miles on them. All I have used is 85 octane. You might want to check the source of your information that 85 octane gas is bad.

Also you might want to learn how to spell Wyoming.

Thank you for your polite but less than informative response. I am aware of the thinner air which makes 'knock' less of an issue. However, if this were true, in all cases, why is there a warning on the pump that engine damage may result from use of 85 octane gas? It just smacks of an effort to get deeper into the public pocket.
Also, Idaho and Washington have some pretty good passes but don't sell 85 that I pulled into, why?
Oh - I can spell fairly well - just can't type.

Again - thanks for the feedback.

Phillip, Janet, and the Mutt
2003 Silverado 1500HD 4.10 rear
32' Coachman 5th wheel

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philhoey wrote:

Thank you for your polite but less than informative response. I am aware of the thinner air which makes 'knock' less of an issue. However, if this were true, in all cases, why is there a warning on the pump that engine damage may result from use of 85 octane gas? It just smacks of an effort to get deeper into the public pocket.
Also, Idaho and Washington have some pretty good passes but don't sell 85 that I pulled into, why?
Oh - I can spell fairly well - just can't type.

Again - thanks for the feedback.

Idaho is 85, in the north where there are mountains, in the south, where the elevation is lower, it's not.

The same is true for Washington, Snoqualmie Pass is lower then Billings, Butte, Bozeman, Great Falls, Laramie, etc. Washington has mountains, but it does not have large amounts of country that has elevation.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I am aware of the thinner air which makes 'knock' less of an issue. However, if this were true, in all cases, why is there a warning on the pump that engine damage may result from use of 85 octane gas?

Aren't the ignition parameters completely controlled by computer chips in modern engines (which includes the V10)?

I believe the answer is yes. Hence, engine knocking is not going to happen using gasoline with an octane rating as low as 85 in a modern engine.

I also believe that engine knock is the only way that too-low-octane gasoline can damage an engine. Is there some other way other than knocking?

I believe the answer is no. Hence, gasoline at 85 octane is not going to damage a Ford V10 engine. However, of course along with the computer keeping knocking from happening (through such measures as retardation of ignition) you do get less power from the engine.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

tpi

Southern CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the 5 star site, it is interesting to me the V10 two valve is in closed loop (14.7 to 1 mixture) even in sustained full throttle. I suspect emission regulations.

Its logical to assume going to 13 to 1 mixture at full throttle would improve power because timing could be advanced over stock.

As tempting as it is to get the additional HP and torque, for me on a new E450 I'll hold off till warranty expires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> New Ford E450 V10 chassis question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS