|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking at Used HR Alumascape

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your issue with HR is known to many of the forum members and , IMO, you were not treated fairly.

All manufacturers has their share of lemons. Some more than others. My neighbor works refinery outages and his new Big Horn burnt 1/2 of it's 110v wiring, AC and other items. He had to live in that rig because he is a traveler. It took 11 months to get the electrical straight. Cost him a lot of money to rent housing while it was back and forth to the dealer and finally to the factory. I was in a campground 2 months ago and a Landmark has a gap between the front cap and side that you could stick a finger through. Don't know the results of what happened after that.

My entry level 2007 Savoy LX, except for tires and spring bushings, gave me 40,000 trouble free miles. Not one warranty issue

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

towpro

SE PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I look at the recalls on HR, it seems the 2001-2005 have frame recalls to add gussets and new cross members. (I had a 2000 Terry recalled for the same issue)

I see recalls for Chrome Rims where the rim comes apart, but this one has cast wheels (might have been replaced under warranty).

I also see a little info about 2007 or later having some Lippert frame (poor welding) problems. But not much on 2006. Is 2006 the year they were out of business and they might not have produced many 5er that year? I need to check the build date on this one.

Next time I go to see it I will wear cloths so I can craw underneath it.

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The frame that gave us the issue was Venture...Monaco swore it had a Lippert frame, but it did not...had to send them pics to prove it! That's how we found out it was basically built on the wrong frame....this was in spring of '07...unit was built in '06.

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D....so true, Monaco was terrible to deal with. If we'd used our heads...they would have bought it back. But that's water under the bridge...happy with our Bighorn, and looking to upgrade next year.

As for all manufacturers making bad units...true again, and Heartland is no exception...however, they do not build their units on old, recalled frames.

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post...darn cellphones....LOL

towpro

SE PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kakampers wrote:

The frame that gave us the issue was Venture...Monaco swore it had a Lippert frame, but it did not...had to send them pics to prove it! That's how we found out it was basically built on the wrong frame....this was in spring of '07...unit was built in '06.

Kakampers, is there an easy way to ID if the one I am going to see is a Lippert or Venture frame? It is a 31SKT

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours was a 33skt...it had venture stamped right on the pinbox....if it's Lippert it should also be on the pinbox.

towpro

SE PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks KaKampers. I see we are both in PA, but you had a different model (and 1 year newer) so we know it's not your old rig . I am east of Lancaster.

GPax

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered a 2004 AlumaScape and heve pulled it to Colorado, Utah, South Dakoda or New Mexico from SE PA every year since we have had it. Aside from one tire blowout (Good Year) one broken spring ply in Ohio (limped home) and a problem with the living room slide last year, (slide always came in only would not fully extend) the unit has been trouble free. That's a lot of miles in 8 years over some pretty poor interstates. I'd be curious who the dealer is, if it's the one we have I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy it. In the end it doesn't matter the brand......It's how well it's been taken care of and the DEALER your buying it from.

Pax

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

Thanks KaKampers. I see we are both in PA, but you had a different model (and 1 year newer) so we know it's not your old rig . I am east of Lancaster.

Be glad..Be VERY glad...LOL!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking at Used HR Alumascape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS