RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Airstream Interstate pulling an Airstream Classic

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Airstream Interstate pulling an Airstream Classic

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a Mercedes Airstream Interstate pulling a 27 foot Airstream Classic. It was at our local walmart. Now that is a rig I never thought of. Thats really a great idea. The best of both worlds..

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Road Ruler

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds sweet. Would luv to see a pic of that rig.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Ruler wrote:

Sounds sweet. Would luv to see a pic of that rig.

Knew the trailer as we had one for 20 years. But did not know the Tow Vehicle. Told my wife about it and she pulled up the pic of the Airstream Mercedes and that was it..

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of my cousins pull an old Airstream (about 27 feet) with an old Airstream Class B van. Sorry, don't have photos.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much would that Airstream trailer weigh? Wouldn't he be pushing the weight limit of a Sprinter? I believe that it is 5000 lbs and checking the website... according the Airstream, the UBW of the trailer is 6500. GVWR is 9000.

I will admit to knowing nothing about towing... but I think this guy is not doing his motorhome any favors...

I just did some googling and Airstream says that their Interstate can tow up to 6400lbs - which would still really be pushing it... yes or no? But, if you go to the Mercedes Benz Sprinter website, it says 5000 lbs as I have always been told.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

How much would that Airstream trailer weigh? Wouldn't he be pushing the weight limit of a Sprinter? I believe that it is 5000 lbs and checking the website... according the Airstream, the UBW of the trailer is 6500. GVWR is 9000.

According to MB, the 3500 van has a max. tow capacity of 7500 lbs. Therefore, this person might well be in the safe zone, as long as they are using the 3500 chassis.

Personally though, I too think it would be pushing it.....

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking the same about pushing it. But reading every thing I could find about the 3500 sprinter and reading the specs from other countrys I guess like every thing else its rated less here in the U.S. As long as they kept the extra stuff down to just what was needed I think it would work out fine.

We always kept our 25 foot Airstream as light as we could and always carried very little extra stuff. But years of travel and living on boats made us relize it just cost to move extra stuff.

Still like the idea of pulling a trailer with a B or B +. But think I will stick to our old C..

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PhilR. wrote:

According to MB, the 3500 van has a max. tow capacity of 7500 lbs. Therefore, this person might well be in the safe zone, as long as they are using the 3500 chassis.

Personally though, I too think it would be pushing it.....

I googled up the MB site and the chart I found said 5000 for the max for the 3500. Always nice to be able to find two different answers from the same manufacturer.

Sort of like when you are a kid and your mom says no, so you go to dad...

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

I googled up the MB site and the chart I found said 5000 for the max for the 3500. Always nice to be able to find two different answers from the same manufacturer.

Sort of like when you are a kid and your mom says no, so you go to dad...

The specs can be found on MB's USA Sprinter website, linked below.

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/ca........n/specifications/3500-high-roof-144-wb/3

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said, I pulled my number from a Mercedes Benz Sprinter website that came up on google. Sounds like they need a better proofreader. Just shocking when the internets are wrong. Let's assume the bigger number is right from that chart.

I'm still confused. But don't both the 2500 and 3500 have the same engine and transmission? I'm not trying to argumentative, but other than being longer and having duallies, what is the difference? I mean the difference that allows it to tow 2500 more pounds is basically just the duallies?

It would appear that one better have that trailer empty!! Bedding and change of underwear only...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Airstream Interstate pulling an Airstream Classic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS