RV.Net Open Roads Forum: supertrapp muffler & resonator arrived NOT what I expected

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> supertrapp muffler & resonator arrived NOT what I expected

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered the Supertrap 3S muffler, 3pack diffuser discs, and resonator.
It arrived in a box yesterday. It doesn't look like what I expected.
1. The resonator is NOT a silver long tube to fit in line with the exhaust pipe as I expected. It is a round tube only about 3 inches long and attaches directly to the SuperTrapp muffler itself. NOT what I expected. [emoticon]
2. The long bolt and nut that assembles the entire piece does not thread. [emoticon]
3. The diffuser discs can go either direction, and there are no directions. [emoticon]
4. The "resonator" is different on each end, but no directions on WHICH direction to mount assemble it. There are directions, but the picture does not show which direction nor do the directions make such an indication.

In summary, not what I was expecting, and I'm gonna be on the phone with Jack Small Engine repair in the morning to see if I can figure this out.

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

I ordered the Supertrap 3S muffler, 3pack diffuser discs, and resonator.
It arrived in a box yesterday. It doesn't look like what I expected.
1. The resonator is NOT a silver long tube to fit in line with the exhaust pipe as I expected. It is a round tube only about 3 inches long and attaches directly to the SuperTrapp muffler itself. NOT what I expected. [emoticon]
2. The long bolt and nut that assembles the entire piece does not thread. [emoticon]
3. The diffuser discs can go either direction, and there are no directions. [emoticon]
4. The "resonator" is different on each end, but no directions on WHICH direction to mount assemble it. There are directions, but the picture does not show which direction nor do the directions make such an indication.

In summary, not what I was expecting, and I'm gonna be on the phone with Jack Small Engine repair in the morning to see if I can figure this out.

go to rodgers myroadtrek site he has an extensive picture show of this. you have 2 options. clamp the resonator to the exhaust pipe every time you stop and run the generator.

or 2 go to a welding shop have them cut the exhaust pipe and weld on. thats what roger did.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be some confusion here. The Onan resonator is a tube shape with tapered ends that welds into the Onan tailpipe. Looks like a mini 'Cherry Bomb' 60's glasspack. Cost is about $60-75, source is Onan or Cummins, either of whom will probably have to order it.

The Supertrapp is an aftermarket part,and goes on the end of the tailpipe. I believe it's billed as a spark arrestor. I've got the 5S, because I've got much more ground clearance than the typical B, and a straight horizontal pipe run to the end. On mine, the disks nest against each other and the base. They're contoured to maintain the correct interval.

I use both the 5S & the resonator on my 2800. Definitely helps a bit.

Jim, "Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

There may be some confusion here. The Onan resonator is a tube shape with tapered ends that welds into the Onan tailpipe. Looks like a mini 'Cherry Bomb' 60's glasspack. Cost is about $60-75, source is Onan or Cummins, either of whom will probably have to order it.

The Supertrapp is an aftermarket part,and goes on the end of the tailpipe. I believe it's billed as a spark arrestor. I've got the 5S, because I've got much more ground clearance than the typical B, and a straight horizontal pipe run to the end. On mine, the disks nest against each other and the base. They're contoured to maintain the correct interval.

I use both the 5S & the resonator on my 2800. Definitely helps a bit.

Jim, "Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?"

the confusion here on my part is that I ordered the SuperTrapp and the resonator from Jack's small engine, thinking that the resonator would be the SAME resonator as I have seen. instead this resonator looks entirely different and is assembled onto the supertrapp muffler. I have confused the Onan resonator with the "resonator" that Jack's is selling which are totally differnent obviously.
Are you using the Onan resonator in addition to the resonator mounted on the SuperTrapp???
At any rate, the product they shipped to me is defective because the long bolt does not thread onto the nut and washer provided, so the whole thing is likely going back to Jack's.

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like you didn't get the correct resonator.
Onan Resonator, $37.00
I think there were two sizes for different diam. tail pipes, so make sure you get the correct one. Doesn't matter which way it goes.
Make sure, if you are going to remove the tail pipe, to have the resonator welded on, that you read my directions about marking both the tail pipe and the resonator. This will save you a lot of trouble. Make sure you paint the welds.

What Jim said about the disks. Look closely at the picture (enlarge the photo) on my web site, and you will see how the disks go.
http://myroadtrek.homestead.com/OnanResonator.html

As for the bolt, They leave it long, depending on the number of disks you use, you then cut the bolt off with a hack saw. You might have to file the end a little to get the nut to thread on.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a rather poorly labelled pic of what I've got rigged up on mine:[image].
It's survived over 6 years now. Yes, it's the Onan resonator. I'm not sure what the resonator mounted on the SuperTrapp is.

Jim, "Dark matter happens."

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all your help.
Do you know if the resonator they provided can be used in addition to the Onan style resonator?
(2 resonators?)

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say no, only because I don't know how much back pressure it would create. That's why you only use 3 disks with the Super Trap.

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The picture you show appears to have the "resonator-attached to muffler" because it is what mine looks like: 3 parts they sent:
SuperTrapp 3S, 3 pack diffuser, and a 3" donut item that THEY are calling a resonator (not be confused with the Onan resonator).

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no muffler in my photos. The tail pipe is cut, and the Onan resonator put in, the the Supper Trap goes over the end of the

On edit, I gusess they call the Super Trap a muffler. It's been ten years so I don't remember everything.

Mine looked this when it came.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=SUPERTRAPP3S

* This post was edited 08/05/12 10:01pm by My Roadtrek *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> supertrapp muffler & resonator arrived NOT what I expected
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS