|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> clear coat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
HotBite

June Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Newmar and the clear coat is starting to peel on the roof.
We are on the road full-time so the motorhome is never stored inside a building, but I did not expect to have this issue.

I wash the vehicle myself and use micro fiber towels, never a brush.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and what caused it. I am not looking forward to having the motorhome repainted.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

June Lake .....hmmmm, Ill be up that way next week. Oh, the question, I dont have an answer but I do have the same peeling as you described. My clear coat is pretty much completely gone off the roof....in next month or so, Im going to lightly sand the edges and apply a sealing coat of a roof toppping in hopes of preventing the clear coat from peeling down the sides where the colors are. My roof is white which is what the roof coating will be.

Not sure if this will work....but what the heck, its worth a try and like you, I dont rally want the expense of repainting. Ill watch this thread to see what idea's others have. Good Luck

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hotbite,

It is common for this to happen. Some will have it sooner and some will have it much later. As you say, your rig is never stored under any form of cover. That in itself accelerates the issue. The sun destroys all. Protection from it, comes in many forms. Covering the coach, if possible, when stored, is the best you can do. When using it, of course it's not practical to cover it. Wax and good maintenance is always a good preventative but, doesn't always prolong the "inevitable" clear coat peeling.

Ours has a fantastic clear coat all around but, is just now starting to show signs of "delaminating" from the color coat, along the side roof edges. If, and depending on the overall condition of your roof edges and surrounding areas, you catch it in time, it can be sanded with some semi-fine (around 320 grit) to prep it for a new clear coat to adhere to the original base and good edges of the remaining clear coat.

My son works at a local RV repair service center in San Diego and the paint and body shop side of that repair service is always doing just that. In that, they are re-establishing a good clear coat/bond to the original roof/side edges. It can and has been done many times to many RVs out there.

It's just too bad they cannot come up with a chemical compound clear coat that is imperious to the suns rays and will last for ever. As you see in any parking lot in America, there will be several cars, with clear coats delmaminating/disintegrating from the base coats of the paint. It's a shame, people pay a lot for all those cars and we do for our motor homes. These motorhome mfgs should be held responsible for it but, they will never have to. Anyway, many of us are having to put up with what you are.

Some just let it go but, if you get after it as soon as possible, you'll prevent it from spreading for a considerable amount of time and, the cost will be considerably less than re-painting the entire rig. Just an idea here.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very common along the roof edge. Sun and elements cause the clear coat to deteriorate quicker than it does on the side walls, especially if they didn't get a good bond when applying the clear. I have repaired mine twice and it only marginally slows the blistering. I have an estimate of $1200 to sand paint and clear coat both sides of the coach at the roof line.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2004 Saturn Vue Toad

slumberguy

okanagan canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to work in the auto coatings industry...basecoat to clear failure has been an issue for years, wih most mfgs, but more prevalent with some...issues are varied, such as the parrafin used as a flake control agent to help with mottling on some metallics and pearls, which rise to the top of the wet basecoat film during application, essentially waxing the surface and making it a poor interlink with urethane clears, as well aggravated by application issues that trap solvents, or basecoat films left too long prior to clearcoat application, which is common in multi color graphics schemes. There are lots of other reasons clearcoats peel, such as insufficient film thickness, common on to of roof edges as the applicator will have to reach to apply..my gulfstream basecoat is thin there, and the color is a mite transparent...Mfgs have typically gone to catylised basecoats or waterbornes but failures still happen, and the problem is very different fom the entire film delam issue the oem mfgs had with the car and truck lines years ago....too many long winded tech issues and reasons, but to keep it simple, stripping the delammed film at least to the basecoat, and refinishing is the only repair that is more than a bandaid...

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see the MH's of a couple of the posters are 2006-2008 vintage, I guess I dont feel so bad with a '96 that just started to peel. Good info though on temporary and permanent fixes....Thank You!

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newmar has (less than a year ago anyway) a program to redo the roof for a flat rate of $1200. I had mine repainted and clear coated at the factory in Nappanee this past spring. I had a cost estimate from a very good company for $3000. newmar says they had a problem with a manufacturers product and are redoing many coachs for the $1200.

Retired and loving it
Living in the Land of Enchantment
Traveling in 2007 Newmar KSDP
towing a Jeep Liberty
with a Blue Ox tow bar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> clear coat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts