RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Any one use a hitch rack On the Truck for Genset?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any one use a hitch rack On the Truck for Genset?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wborst

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the Gen-set mounted on the rear of your truck, will you have enough room to turn without hitting the front of the fiver with the rack or gen-set? This would be a little like driving down the road with your tailgate down.

Brenda, Bill and our little dog Madison
2007 Pilgram Legends 31RE3SLF-5
2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Cummins Turbo Diesel

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what i did!click
I put the genny on one side and my bbq on the other and my 12 hp outboard in the middle and the bikes on the rack,works perfectly!click again

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

rxkelley

Statesboro, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick Reply is that there is not enough room. I looked at mine during a tight turn and it was obvious. Put on the front of the truck or the rear of the RV.

2007 2500 DURAMAX
2009 COUGAR 316QBS

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you are asking about using the under bumper hitches for a frame for your generator but with all the chances of someone stealing your high dollar Generator I wonder if you might at least look at what I did years back faced with the same decision.

My F150 Ford truck has the covered "FOLD-A-COVER G4 Elite" which is Four Hard Plastic Panels that fold up in the front of the 6'-6" truck bed. This cleared my fifth wheel setup just fine. Under the front area of the bed I have a full width tool box which does not interfere with my folding tops or the fifth wheel hitch. I can still gain access to the tool box with the folding cover panels when I was towing the fifth wheel. Worked great after parking the fifth wheel by opening the front folding panels then I could open the top of the tool box... The two end folding panels are lockable.

I also had dual 2KW Honda Generators in the tailgate section of the Folding Bed Covers which also did not interfere with the fifth wheel hookup.

After setting up camp the folding bed covers keeps everything completely out-of-site and locked up.

After looking at photos from google images I see they now make a tool box now just for the G4 folding top I have... You can see the new style tool box under the stack of folding covers here... This looks pretty neat... My tool box is a standard truck tool box with locking lid.

You can see here the fifth wheel hitch is lower than the sides of the F150 truck bed so will not interfere with the folding bed cover. Also clears the room for the tool box just behind the truck rear window.

This is another idea you can do to get even more tool box space in the bed of the truck. I don't like this idea as I have my two 2kw Honda Generators and my ICE CHEST usually sitting in this position just behind the tail gate.

If I need to run the 2KW generator with the fifth wheel trailer hooked up I run it in the truck bed with the tail gate closed.

When I use my 2KW Honda Generators at the camp site I just pull them out on the dropped tailgate and hook up the trailer shore power to them directly. This leaves the 2KW generators out in the open but there is always someone at the camp site when doing this. If everyone has to leave the camp site the generators are moved back inside the truck bed area. They are always using a locking steel rope but out-of-site seemed to be the best method for keeping them safe from thief. I would never leave my generators unattended at the camp sites. They go where I go being in the back of my truck bed.

We don't pull the fifth wheel trailer anymore but it did indeed work out just great for us. I still have the folding bed covers on my 2010 Ford f150 truck and the tool box and still keep my "ONE" 2KW Honda Generator in the tail gate corner. We only use the generator now to re-charge my battery bank for my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer every morning for two hours and again for three hours in the early evening when camping off the power grid... I gave up on using generators to run my trailer air conditoners when camping off the power grid as most places we go to on the East side of the US all seem to have generator use restrictions in place and that isn't enough time to even run a generator to cool down a trailer.

This idea of using the "FOLD-A-COVER" brand hard plastic folding bed cover has served us very well over the years... Everything out-of-site and weather tight when the folding covers are closed and locked.

This post was also sent to a couple other similar questions about tool boxes, generators, and hitches with some changes...

Just something else to think about. It would scare me to death having my high dollar generators unattended out in open view locked to a open air frame. Thieves with dremal tools can grab that item is just a few seconds. In the past five years I have been witness to two neighbor campers generator thief's in broad daylight in the early afternoon with no one around the trailer. One was chained to a small tree which got cut down in the early afternoon and the other one was sitting on the ground chained to the bumper of the fifth wheel which got the chain cut with a dremal tool. The guy told me they probably plugged into his outside receptacle to run the dremal tool too...

Something else to ponder about.... It does happen...

All PHOTOS from google images

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

MyakkaTT

Bradenton, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine could be transfered but basically stays on rear of fiver since I added 2 extra revcievers and support arms. Pictures down in my mods section in my signature below.

2007 McKenzie Starwood SL 31 BHD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, 4x4, CTD
My Wife: Dawn
Myself: Scott
Our Dog: Our new Fur Kid, Kylee
Our Photos
Trailer Mods

"Quietly Making Noise"

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a SB truck.

Carry either my Yam 2400is -or- Champion 3500w gen behind the hitch (between the
back of the hitch & cab).

I have a self-fabricated "inverted" box (open end is down) that covers the gen when not in use.
(Would work with single gen or two Hondas, etc.)

The gen is cable locked, the box has a slip-thru (flat) locking bar which goes thru the handles of the gen underneath.

Simple, inexpensive, and effective. No real clue what's underneath.
Keeps the gen out of the weather and out of sight.
Thief can't lift the box without also lifting the gen underneath.

Of course, any system is *never* foolproof, but time is a thief's enemy!

The "gen-under-a-box" sits on the right (passenger) side of the bed,
and after removing the box - that's where the gen remains when in use.
A 20g reserve diesel tank sits on the opposite side on the left - also set up for easy removal if I need the use of the bed.
(It could be a gasoline tank for the gen if desired).

No problem with clearance for the 5th wheel.
(everything is lower than the top of the bed anyway)..

I have the same bed cover as "RoyB" - all the above also fits under the cover (however, I do remove the cover when towing).

IMO - I would pass on hanging a gen off the truck, and especially off the back of *any* trailer. Unless you have a camera, you won't know when/if you have a problem. A friend has been there, (expensive oops!) done that.

As usual, YMMV..

~

* This post was edited 08/09/12 01:57pm by ol Bombero-JC *

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I welded receiver stock to each fram rails and build a rack to acomadate the receiver stock. Works great I haul my gen and a large cooler on it. It takes two of us to install the rack and once I get the cooler and the gen on, they are there to stay.

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

MyakkaTT

Bradenton, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would trust my rack on the back of the fiver with out issues. Gen has rode there many miles. With 3 receivers welded to a custom welded hitch thento the frame. I would be filing insurance because the trailer was totaled before the rack has issues.

Larryect

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tha Fold a cover is really cool. Is there an attachment point in the front (cab) center? I have a fuel tank/tool box that is just flush with the rail and I'm not sure if they would interfere with each other. But it looks promising....

bigdaddyf350

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a spare generator that I use for my second portable air conditioner/heater. I just keep it in the back of the truck when I tow. I've seen both of what your talking about and as long as you either put it on the front of your TV or the back of your TH and it will accomidate the weight I don't see what the big deal it! I mean you need to of course have some really good straps several so that it dosent fall off but I think those racks will hold like 400lbs or something so go for it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Any one use a hitch rack On the Truck for Genset?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS