RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/13 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BUT !!! just where was that Craftsman Tape-Measure made ???
If its an old one and made in the good ol USofA then yes no flameproof suit required !
Now being like most all other Cratsman tools being made who knows where these days
Ya gotta be careful [emoticon]

I noticed when we test drove alot of the C MH's how narrow the ford seating/leg/foot room was compared to the Chevy...

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS wrote:

If its an old one and made in the good ol USofA then yes no flameproof suit required !
Now being like most all other Cratsman tools being made who knows where these days

I noticed when we test drove alot of the C MH's how narrow the ford seating/leg/foot room was compared to the Chevy...

Made IN THE U.S.A. [emoticon]

">][image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/13 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

OFDPOS wrote:

">][image]

An update!!! From My Made In USA Craftsman Tape Measure....

The Chevy is 3 inches wider than the Ford as measured on the Front tires at the middle of the tread and the Rear at the middle of the duallys,it aint much but every inch counts.....[emoticon]

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/13 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

OFDPOS wrote:

">][image]

An update!!! From My Made In USA Craftsman Tape Measure....

The Chevy is 3 inches wider than the Ford as measured on the Front tires at the middle of the tread and the Rear at the middle of the duallys,it aint much but every inch counts.....[emoticon]

You must be bored! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/13 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grillmeister wrote:

You must be bored! [emoticon] [emoticon]

As a matter of fact I was, and going thru old stuff and from when I was looking for a replacement RV.I found the measurements between the Ford and Chevy that I posted earlier but not this one.

Oh the things that we do on a cold and dreary day.............[image]

chrisjpr

Owosso

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/13 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Finally Fulltiming wrote:

Sounds like you've explored the topic & already decided - so buy the Chevy.

I did!! And didn't have to rebuild the front end after 19000 miles [emoticon]

Amen to that. Our church bus is a 26 passenger body on a E450 chassis. Basically the same set up as a 28' class c. We bought it new and have maintained it vigorously. At about 20,000 miles all ball joints had to be replaced at our cost. The front end has always been out of alignment. We've taken it to several different shops and they all tell us it is as close as they can get it. So since it was new the steering wheel is slightly rotated counterclockwise. What a joke. Now this last week I noticed a howling or moaning sound in the front while traveling at low speeds. Yep, you guessed it, bad wheel bearing. The unit only has 32,000 pampered miles on it!! The dealership told me that this is a commonality on E450s and I am lucky I havent had more problems than what we've had. Unbelievable.

NTORACN

Moreno Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/13 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our ex-cruise america 2000 22 C on a E350 chassis gave us zero problems for the 9 years we owned it we bought it at 82K miles and traded it in at 106K miles. The 2006 ex-El Monte RV 24D on a GM chassis we bought seems just as good if not better than our old RV. I like the better leg room up front and the 6.oL engine has way more torque than the 5.4L engine in our old coach. Plus now I don't worry about having a spark plug eject itself which is a problem the triton engine can have, but I never had. I don't like the GM front end as much as I liked the Ford, but the ability of the engine to hold overdrive even on hills is a wonderful thing over my Ford engine.

Aurabbit79er

South Bay Area, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

Problems? My 2006 Chevy has no problems. 50K miles so far.

I love my 24' 79 C-30 RollALong w the 454cc big block
It's a truck cab so I like to work on it. and the cabover is big enough for a lawn chair if you take the mattress down. I did upgrade the AC and put in a 5 blade radiator and new clutch fan. The factory 4 blade radiator was too hot. Most of the engine work is done now, and I'm redoing the interior now.After I repaired the cracked Exhuast Mamifold It went from 7 to 10 MPG-Hwy 9 MPG city. [image]
[image]
It has taken us on some good adventures recently,even off road.
I like to go gold mining so I'm always Boondocking.

* This post was edited 02/13/13 04:38pm by Aurabbit79er *

In all the advancing we can do to improve this world, the sharing of knowledge and wisdom is the most important.
If I post anything that inspires anyone, I did my part.
And If anyone inspires me to try to do better, I thank them now.">

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/13 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a friend that we would meet in the desert in the 80's that had one of these.It was built on a crew cab and he made it 4WD,454 and was bullet proof. Sometimes we had to use our Jeeps to find him.

He said that it was the original Class "C" CHASSIS MOUNTED CAMPER.

That I couldn't dispute.It was an amazing rig.

* This post was edited 08/21/13 05:37pm by IAMICHABOD *

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/13 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an update on what I started this thread about.

To ask if there were any inherent problems with the Chevy Based Class C.

On pages 3 thru 7 there was a lively debate on the Fuel Mileage on different RVs that were built on the Chevy Chassis and of course the old Ford VS Chevy debate. Then there is the dialog about the size and comfort of the Chevy VS Ford Cockpit area at the end of Page 15.

An updated list of Class Cs on a Chevy Chassis On Page 22

There did not seem to be any real problems that people had until NTORACN had a problem with overheating in THIS THREAD. He did a great job of diagnosing and later fixing the problem. In case some of you Chevy Owners missed it.

I had a check engine light come on and when the code was read it was the Throttle Position Sensor, after checking with Chevy and other owners I found that there was a recall on the 2008 and 2010 models but not on my 2005. After clearing the code I cleaned the Throttle Body and have not had any trouble since.

If there are any more problems that seem to be inherent to the Chevy Chassis based Class C it would be nice to know. Mine has been pretty much trouble free for 97000 miles.

There doesn’t seem to be anything that has come up on the Chevy Based Class C. Such as the handling and alignment problems that plague the Ford Based Class C. Or the fuel pump problems.

As far as I have found on this and the other Forums.

* This post was last edited 04/10/18 10:19pm by IAMICHABOD *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.