RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JTCHess

Woodbridge, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/13 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the summary of comments. I have about 23,000 miles on my 2008 and had no chassis problems. I wish the same could be said about the appliances Winnebago puts in their motorhomes. First the refrigerator needed to be replaced (under warranty thank goodness), now the Apollo brand convection/microwave needs replacement at a cost of over $500.

2008 Winnebago 31C Outlook, Chevy Chassis

kwells1148

Ft Walton Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 Thor Freedom Elite 23U with Chevy chassis. It has the new L96 6.0 with VVT,a 6 speed 6L90E, and 3.73 rear axle. I have driven over 3500 miles now in 3 months and I am averaging 10.1 mpg - MPG has improved with more miles. Based on my test drives the Chevy was the choice - It has a taller 4.03 first gear and takes off just fine. Also when cruising down the highway both 5th (.85) and 6th (.67) are overdrive so when it downshifts for inclines there is only a slight increase in revs and not much noise. When I test drove the Fords they have the same problem I had towing a TT with my 2001 Yukon. When they downshift on the highway the REVs and NOISE go way up (4th is 1:1 and 5th is .71. I have been driving about 65-70 mph so I could possibly get more MPG at a slower speed. The additional gears provide more MPG and highway driving is quieter and less fatiguing. The only issues I have had so far are the with Thor portion (knobs loose, fell off,etc).

vanGogh

West Palm Beach FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a Coachmen Concord 225LE on a Chevy 4500 chassis. We ordered ours because we specifically wanted a Chevy chassis. We have noticed that it is very comfortable to drive until we get to about 59 mph or faster. Then the coach becomes harder to keep in our lane and the steering doesn't feel very responsive. We have not yet loaded up the coach or filled up our tanks. Will the coach drive differently once it is loaded up? Should it feel more stable and responsive?
Thanks,
Elle

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/13 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say that it shouldn't do that either loaded or unloaded. Mine is stable up to the max speed that I have driven it. Caught myself hitting 85 while passing a couple times. I normally set the cruise control at 65 - otherwise I will tend to speed since it handles so well. I'll let those who know recommend what you should be checking to fix this, but I'd be pressing the dealer and manufacturer to help.

Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/13 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vanGogh wrote:

We just bought a Coachmen Concord 225LE on a Chevy 4500 chassis. We ordered ours because we specifically wanted a Chevy chassis. We have noticed that it is very comfortable to drive until we get to about 59 mph or faster. Then the coach becomes harder to keep in our lane and the steering doesn't feel very responsive. We have not yet loaded up the coach or filled up our tanks. Will the coach drive differently once it is loaded up? Should it feel more stable and responsive?
Thanks,
Elle

I would expect it to get worse when loaded, because more weight gets added to the rear. What are the recommended inflation numbers for your tires, as printed on the sticker in the door jamb? Check to see if your tires are set to those numbers.

Next, if that doesn't help, you can play with the tire pressures. With a small coach such as yours, even the recommended numbers are probably quite a big higher than what is needed for the tires to carry the loads you will have. Just guessing, but you might be able to safely run only 50 in the fronts. You can know for sure until you weigh the MH and get numbers for each axle. But let's say you've done that, and you can safely run lower in front. Then you can try say 65 rear, 55 or 50 front, and see if the handling changes. I bet it will.

All that said, it might need a wheel alignment, to be done at a truck alignment shop.

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Vintmxman

Pa endless Mtn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/13 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned both the ford V10 chassis and the chevrolet powered chassis and prefer the chevy. Better fuel mileage, less maintenance,, fewer repairs, less cab heat and a much smoother ride in general. Both were were 30 feet .the 6.0 motor is strong running. Great combo in my opinion.

dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/13 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintmxman wrote:

I have owned both the ford V10 chassis and the chevrolet powered chassis and prefer the chevy. Better fuel mileage, less maintenance,, fewer repairs, less cab heat and a much smoother ride in general. Both were were 30 feet .the 6.0 motor is strong running. Great combo in my opinion.

Less maintenance!!! You must be kidding? We've had our 2011 E450 for just over 3 years. Local Ford dealer sold us 5 service visits for $120. So now it has had 6 oil changes (4 coupons left from second batch), filters and lubes and total cost $120 + $20 for $160 over three years. For three years my former Tahoe LTZ was far more than that. Same with my wife's former Equinox.

Repairs - not even one thing has gone wrong. Not a single repair or warranty claim and it has 2 years power train left. Suspension - airbags came with the Impulse and it rides better than the Kodiak 8.1 I traded on it - and it is no noisier than the 8.1 we had. Only complaint, if I have one, 8.5 to 9.0 mpg and I was hoping for a bit more. But then Kodiak was 7.6 mpg so I gained a bit.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/13 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like our Ford Class C because it has 10 cylinders. I had lived all my life with 8 or less cylinders before we bought our motorhome and it was getting boring ... so I finally moved on and up. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/13 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many speeds is the transmission in the newest Chevy Class C's?

edit: Never mind, I found a Chevy commercial brochure. It's a six speed. Cool.

RvBill3

Collinsville, IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/13 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vanGogh wrote:

Thanks,
Elle

I like the way ours rides loaded vs unloaded but I would not describe it as a problem like you are. Just feels more solid. I would suggest carefully checking tire pressures. Our manufacturer recommends 65 front and 80 rear. I run about 50psi in the rear air bags. It's a comfortable stable ride.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.