|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> adding bags

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hector Bravo

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dave. I guess it is time to Google Firestone airbags for a Titan.

Hector

The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2006 Titan Crew Cab

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Since you are exceeding your trucks payload by a large amount air bags may be the only choice for a comfortable ride but it still doesn't make it safe to be that far over your rating. Just my opinion
Good luck / Skip

Hes not towing the trailer with 750/900 lbs in the bed.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hector Bravo wrote:

Goducks10,

Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear the bags don't kill the ride quality when empty.

I guess my next question is did you all find the bags to be reliable?

Hector

I only had them for a year or so, then got a different tow vehicle. They worked great though for that year.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really do not know what the 5 psi are for. Some manufacturer engineering thingey?

Anyhow I have run a set at zero psi unloaded for years and I like it that way.

W.E.BGood

Quad Cities Iowa USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '08 Tundra 4x4 with the tow and off-road packages that includes Bilstein shocks, a 10K Equalizer pulling an Outback 250RS rated about 6K dry. I added AirLift 5000's with remote control for 2 reasons: Make short-hauls and tight-maneuvering MUCH easier without the WD bars all set-up, and improve the ride quality by reducing the "porpoising" effect on certain road sections. The 5 pound minimum inflation is to keep the bags from being too compressed and the walls splitting. I normally run 10-12 empty, 25-35 loaded.
IMO, the ride quality is a bit more "jittery" when empty, but it sure improved the "loaded" ride comfort!

Hector Bravo

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All great information, guys. I appreciate all of the responses.

Hector

squarles67

Orange, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the air lift bags and they work great to level out the ride. They have a 5 psi min and with 5 psi you can't even tell they are there.

The 5 psi keeps them puffed up a little so they don't krinkle up and wear a hole at the end of a krinkle from suspension movement.

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hector Bravo wrote:

Evening All,

I have a Jayco 26 RLS which I tow with a Nissan Titan. Loaded my trailer comes in at about 7100 lbs which for me is the upper range of what I am comfortable towing with my Titan. (It is rated for 9,100 lbs. I use a Reese HD WD hitch which is set up pretty nicely.

Now, because I find myself carrying 750 to almost 900 lbs in the bed (when not towing) on occasion I am thinking of getting air bags to reduce rear sag(the truck, not me). I am concerned how the bags will work in concert with my trailer/hitch when towing. Can anyone help me with this dilemma?

Thanks,
Hector

With that little bit of weight, you should not have any sag. I've had my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac loaded with 1000 lbs of stepping stones and it didn't sag at all. Had my 2010 F150 loaded over 1000 lbs with firewood and no sag either.

Instead of adding air bags, you may want to find out what's wrong with your suspension. I had a 2004 Titan and it had a weaker suspension but not that bad. It was plagued with problem after problem though.

I've had several Nissan trucks/SUVs and they all had weak suspensions but not to the point of needing air bags. You may have some broken leafs.

Hek, if no broken springs but just worn out, helper springs may be a good idea. I've even seen some Road Master helper spring demos and I think I would go with those before bags.

Good luck in getting the setup you need.

* This post was edited 08/16/12 02:37pm by Mike Up *

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

Hector Bravo

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knock-on-wood my Titan has been pretty reliable.

As it happens the suspension was just inspected when I had the shackles looked at. All looked fine. My mechanic commented on how lightly sprung Titans are so he was not surprised at my complaint.

I've ordered bags and will install shocks while I am at it.

Thanks,
Hector

Carluvr

Anacortes, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Firestone Ride Rite airbags too and really like them. They do a lot to improve the ride when carrying heavy loads or pulling a trailer. If/when you get the bags, I would go ahead and hook up the trailer, then inflate the bags the point at which the truck sits level, then adjust your hitch to the proper height so that the trailer sits level. Min is 5 PSI, max is 100 PSI. Being a truck driver I know the damage that can be done when an airbag is run with no air in it. I keep mine @ 10 PSI when empty. I never need to put more than 40 PSI in when fully loaded w/trailer and this is with an older '95 Chevy P/U (half ton).

1999 Fleetwood Prowler 822L
1995 Chevrolet Z-71
1996 GMC Suburban

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> adding bags
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts