Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Deteriorating Ultraleather Seats

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/27/12 12:04pm

I've been a member of this forum for a few years, but this is my first post. I have a 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34B with the Ultraleather option on the front seats, which is made by Flexsteel. Both seats have recently started showing significant deterioration. The surface "coating" is cracking and peeling off exposing the fabric backing material. This is occurring on all the wear surfaces. I found a thread on another RV forum in which Damon owners are experiencing the same problem with a similar vinyl material but not with the Ultraleather brand.I am very disappointed that the seats are virtually falling apart at such an early age. The rig only has about 7000 miles on it and has been very well cared for. I have not used any cleaners or other chemicals on the seats. I've only used a damp cloth to wipe them down occassionally. My question is there any others out there that are experiencing the same problem with their Ultraleather seats? Or any seats made by Flexsteel?

Posted By: Rich D. on 08/27/12 12:25pm

Ultraleather brand is a trade marked product that has enjoyed a fantastic reputation. It seems to last about two years longer than stone.

Are you sure you have Ultraleather(tm)? You can contact them here:

http://www.gulffabrics.com/ultralht.htm

Rich D. Wanderlodge M450 LXi

Posted By: donn0128 on 08/27/12 12:28pm

Take them out and find a reputable auto upholstery shop in your area to recover them. Pick a fabric or leather you,like and go camping. Seats get a tremendous amount of abuse and the cheap fabrics used by some manufacturers is showing.

Posted By: bluwtr49 on 08/27/12 12:33pm

I would certainly contact both Fleetwood and Flexsteel and see what they have to say. This just doesn't seem normal. Perhaps you can find a model no. or something on one of the seat frame to help them.

Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/27/12 01:14pm

Per Fleetwood's brochure for my motorhome, "Ultraleather" is the fabric used on my seats. I too had only heard good things about genuine Ultraleather materials, however it appears mine are defective. I realise my motorhome is no longer under warrany either by Fleetwood or by Flexsteel and will probably have to be repaired on my dime. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience or if my particular problem is unique.

Posted By: Blackdiamond on 08/27/12 01:20pm

okeefecrew1 wrote:

Per Fleetwood's brochure for my motorhome, "Ultraleather" is the fabric used on my seats. I too had only heard good things about genuine Ultraleather materials, however it appears mine are defective. I realise my motorhome is no longer under warrany either by Fleetwood or by Flexsteel and will probably have to be repaired on my dime. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience or if my particular problem is unique.

I have the same issue, even on parts that don't see much use like the front/sides of the seats below the seating area, really pisses me off. I have been searching for replacement flexsteel seat covers but haven't found any.

03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 08/27/12 01:27pm

The Flexsteel seats in my coach lasted less than 15,000 miles/3 years. At this time the foam had flattened and the ultraleather was starting to crack. These were their top of the line seats with the built in seat belts and an integral frame with a six way electrical movement. The frame was so unusual that I could not take the seats off and use the base with other seats. The seat base itself could move up and down, independent of the seat back movement. Replacement cost from Flexsteel was close to $1700 each.
I bought new seats and new electric bases from DiscountRV and posted pictures on this forum about my old Flexsteel seats, offering both of them for FREE to anyone that would haul them away. Luckily I had one person accept my offer so I didn't have to put them in the trash. Shortly thereafter I gave away all of the rest of the Flexsteel furniture in my coach. From my experience, Flexsteel is the bottom of the line when it comes to RV furniture. My replacement seats now haveclose to 50,000 miles on them and they still look like new.

Posted By: Not a Clue on 08/27/12 01:47pm

I have the same problem with the passenger seat in our Fleetwood showing signs of cracking on the seat itself. No sure what can be done as others have stated warranty no longer applies. I haven't checked my extended warranty to see if it is covered there.

Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/27/12 02:05pm

I've been spending some time researching this problem on the various RV forums. It seems that this problem effects 2007-2009 model year rigs with Flexsteel seats. Whether it is Ultraleather or some other alternate faux leather materials that may have been spec'd by the RV manufacture. I haven't found any complaints involving other seat manufactures. Makes you wonder.

Posted By: Dance Chick on 08/27/12 02:39pm

okeefecrew1 wrote:

I've been spending some time researching this problem on the various RV forums. It seems that this problem effects 2007-2009 model year rigs with Flexsteel seats. Whether it is Ultraleather or some other alternate faux leather materials that may have been spec'd by the RV manufacture. I haven't found any complaints involving other seat manufactures. Makes you wonder.

This is interesting because we're in the group of Thor RVs that are having this problem that's been talked about on another forum. According to Flexsteel, Thor furnished the inferior product for the time period (2007-09??), so Flexsteel said they aren't liable in any way. So now what say you Flexsteel? Did Fleetwood also furnish you with an inferior product?

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 08/27/12 02:43pm

Dance Chick wrote:

okeefecrew1 wrote:

This is interesting because we're in the group of Thor RVs that are having this problem that's been talked about on another forum. According to Flexsteel, Thor furnished the inferior product for the time period (2007-09??), so Flexsteel said they aren't liable in any way. So now what say you Flexsteel? Did Fleetwood also furnish you with an inferior product?

And Monaco?

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/27/12 03:03pm

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Dance Chick wrote:

okeefecrew1 wrote:

And Monaco?

Yeah, Fleetwood spec'd "inferior" Ultraleather. I don't want to accuse any manufacturer of doing anything dishonest without any proof. But something aint right here.

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/27/12 03:34pm

Here are some pics. I just took so that everyone can see what I am talking about:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Posted By: Dance Chick on 08/27/12 04:45pm

rgatijnet1...Are you saying some Monaco Rvs are doing this also? If so, the plot thickens.

Posted By: UsualSuspect on 08/27/12 05:01pm

From owning various RV's throughout the years, I doubt any of the manufacturers spec'd anything out. My guess is they needed seats, and just bought what the manufacturer has the fits and works when they need it.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD ">)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Posted By: bluwtr49 on 08/27/12 05:04pm

Can't speak for later Monaco's but the Ultra-Leather furniture in our 2000 Beaver is still like new. Oops, that may be pre-Monaco so it may not apply.

Posted By: Daveinet on 08/27/12 09:12pm

Ultraleather is a specific trademark name. Has nothing to do with Flexsteel. So here is the kicker.

THE TRADEMARK ULTRALEATHER WAS ABANDON IN 2007. Another company picked up the trademark on 7-12-2007. The current company that owns the trademark is:
FAULTLESS INTERNATIONAL INC.
3633 KINSALE LN SE
OLYMPIA, WA 98501-9121
Phone Number: 360-493-0100
Fax Number: 360-455-8375

I also have competing information that Ultrafabrics owns the trademark. Their address is:
Ultrafabrics, LLC |
Hudson Point,
303 South Broadway
Tarrytown, NY 10591
T 914.460.1730
F 914.631.3572
www.ultrafabricsllc.com

You can try to contact them directly. Can't tell who is who. Someone call in the morning and help the rest of us sort this out.

I currently have Ultraleather that is 10 years old in my coach. In that time, I've put around 70K miles in the driver's seat. It's slightly soiled, but has held up very well. The only problem I have is the piping is coming out on one part of the driver's seat.

IRV2

Posted By: 00 BUCK on 08/27/12 11:34pm

okeefecrew1 wrote:

Here are some pics. I just took so that everyone can see what I am talking about:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Heat and UV damage ?

2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE ">
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

Posted By: bsinmich on 08/28/12 06:37am

It looks like a future court battle over real Untraleather that we all learned to love and a cheap imitation that just uses the name.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Posted By: belfert on 08/28/12 08:14am

I have a Flexsteel Ultraleather couch that was purchased in 2006. The fabric is in perfect condition with a fair bit of use.

Posted By: jomarfl on 08/28/12 08:20am

We have the same issue (pics above), on our 2008. Going to get some of those replacement seat covers and see how they last. If they don't we'll get them recovered by someone.

2008 Fleetwood Fiesta
Tampa, FL

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/28/12 08:40am

00 BUCK wrote:

Heat and UV damage ?
If that were so, it would be more in the exposed area and not the creased areas I would think.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/28/12 08:44am

jomarfl wrote:

We have the same issue (pics above), on our 2008. Going to get some of those replacement seat covers and see how they last. If they don't we'll get them recovered by someone.

I got the replacement seat covers and don't like them at all. Lousy fit. But at least they keep me from sticking to the seat! Going to keep watching from someone who replaced the seats on a new rig, that way I can buy their old "new" seats.

Posted By: grldst on 08/28/12 09:00am

Correct me if wrong, but I believe there are different grades of "Ultra leather".

My Monaco Signature has "Villa International" brand furniture that is covered with "ultra leather" fabric. Still in very good shape after 15 years and 150,000 miles.

The tags on the seats say that they were specifically made for a "Monaco Signature".

Posted By: CarlGeo on 08/28/12 09:08am

My 97 Safari has Ultraleather seats, and shows no wear signs at all. I doubt that your upholstery fabric is Ultraleather. Probably some other brand knock-off of Ultraleather.

Posted By: okeefecrew1 on 08/28/12 12:06pm

CarlGeo wrote:

My 97 Safari has Ultraleather seats, and shows no wear signs at all. I doubt that your upholstery fabric is Ultraleather. Probably some other brand knock-off of Ultraleather.

Though there may some question as to whether or not it is genuine Ultraleather, Fleetwood specifically advertised that my coach seats were Ultraleather(tm) So if is not the real deal, then either Fleetwood and/or Flexsteel is guilty of fraud. If my upholstery is the genuine product, then it would appear that the material is substandard/defective and suffered premature failure. Either way, I am not happy about having to fit the bill for reupholstery or replacement of the seats.

Posted By: Diplomat_St_Poodles on 08/28/12 02:55pm

Sorry about your seats, it is a shame that they have not lasted well.

Not that this will help your issue but for those looking to put on seat covers we had some custom made for our old caddie.

There is a shop in Mesa AZ that does a great job. They do cars, trucks, MH etc. it was $200 to do the front seats in cloth. But they fit so well, totally wrapped around front and back. They looked like they were part of the seat not covers.

As well we replaced the couch in our MH with an ultra leather one made by discount truck and rv in CA. Two years of dogs and people it still looks brand new. they have fairly descent prices on rv furniture.

2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 08/28/12 03:39pm

wny_pat wrote:

jomarfl wrote:

I got the replacement seat covers and don't like them at all. Lousy fit. But at least they keep me from sticking to the seat! Going to keep watching from someone who replaced the seats on a new rig, that way I can buy their old "new" seats.

Pat, looking back through my history I noticed that it has been almost exactly two years since we exchanged messages and pictures about my garbage Flexsteel seats. Sorry to hear that you are still having seat problems. If you remember the pictures that I sent you, my foam was completely flattened and the Ultraleather fabric was deteriorating and peeling. Since my seats had the integral seat belts, I couldn't use the seat covers and judging from your post, it is a good thing I didn't go that way. Of course I would still have had to deal with the flattened foam in the seat base. If I do hear of any seats, I will let you know and maybe the next time we head up to NY I'll bring them up.

Posted By: randallb on 08/28/12 04:30pm

Is the RV kept out of the sun? It is usually heat and sunlight that cause these type of issues with seats.
Randy

Posted By: peaches&cream on 08/28/12 04:43pm

Here is what I would cover the original seats with. http://www.autoenhance.com/sheepskin-rv-seat-covers.html
I had simuliar covers in my airplanes. They are cool in summer, warm in the winter, and confortable to sit on.

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 08/28/12 04:52pm

randallb wrote:

Is the RV kept out of the sun? It is usually heat and sunlight that cause these type of issues with seats.
Randy

My RV was kept out in the sun but we always use the aluminum bubble type windshield covers so the only time the seats were exposed to the direct sun is when we were driving. We did travel during the Winter so the seats may have been exposed to interior temps in the mid 50's while we were on the road. Back home in Florida, the seats probably never were exposed to a temperature swing below 40 or above 100 degrees. We also never used any cleaner other than diluted Dawn dishwater detergent, which is pretty mild. We have been using it on our replacement seats now for going on three years and they still look like new and the foam is still soft after twice as many miles as we put on the Flexsteel seats before they died. I would suspect that Flexsteel got a bad batch of Ultraleather, or they just bought a cheaper type of Ultraleather. Almost any type of fabric should last a year, which covers the warranty period. I know that the Flexsteel seat covers felt thin and stiff and that the newer Ultraleather type seat covers on my replacement seats feel thicker and supple, even approaching 50,000 miles and close to three years of service. Who knows? I just replaced them and dumped all of my Flexsteel furniture.

Posted By: Daveinet on 08/28/12 05:05pm

My RV is left out in the sun. Often with no windshield curtain. I clean the ultraleather with 409. No I'm not careful. My seats are fine after 10 years. There is an obvious problem with the specific ultraleather installed after 2007. Has anyone called UltraFabrics to find out what is up with the product?

Posted By: Dance Chick on 08/28/12 05:21pm

From what I understand, it appears to be years 2007-09 that are affected. Thor/Damon (and I'm wondering if also Fleetwood?) supplied Flexsteel with an inferior product. Supposedly once they knew it was inferior, they switched back.
From another thread on irv2.com, someone has been in numerous conversations with
Thor about this, and the best Thor would do is send them new material to have their seats recovered, but it was the same inferior material. Others who contacted Thor were told too bad...out of warranty. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with sun or no sun, type of cleaner, or stored in extreme heat, etc. It was just a bad product...period, and there are a lot of us suffering the consequences.

Posted By: Kenney B on 09/09/12 02:52pm

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher.. The arm rests on the flexsteel ultraleather chairs are really getting bad... I thought it was from the oils from our skin or something. Now in reading all the posts I am in line with the thinking of defective leather.Its out of warrenty now anyways.
In need of ideas
Does anyone know of a slipcover for the flexsteel captains chair arms? or what do people do other than a sweat shirts or knitting something???

Posted By: RayChez on 09/09/12 05:09pm

Yes those pictures show lots of wear on the material. I have the Flexsteel on my 2002 coach and the driver and passenger seats still look brand new with 53K miles on the coach.
Now the one that I did have to upholster was the couch last year, but it had the real leather, not the ultra. Flexsteel used to make real good rv furniture, but I have read where the materials used from 2007-2009 were terrible.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Posted By: down home on 09/09/12 06:01pm

Ours is 2005 Fleetwood. Ultraleather is fine except for where I scrubbed third seat.
What is Flexsteel using now? The seats in our appear fine. The foam might need to be looked at.
The seats sem to be ubiquitous in several years in design. I noticed the material on some of the new coaches far inferior. There are several RV renovators in FMCA mag. Shops anywhere should be able to pull the covers and make new ones to order in any material. Just have to find a best shop.

Posted By: chili's trip on 09/10/12 07:01am

Have a Flexsteel 3rd chair that is cracking on one back side, prob from sun damage. The two front seats have some abrasion damage from me wearing shorts with velcro pocket fasteners. The sofa is still perfect. Thanks.
Jack H

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

Posted By: DancinCampers on 09/10/12 07:43am

Sharon uses Dove soap bar. There is a list of other cleaning tips on our clubs web site:

Vegas Rollers

This list was put together by Barb Smith, who presents her ideas and experience at many WIT rallies around the country. Paul and Barb are currently in their 41st (or maybe 42nd) Winnebago coach provided for their evaluation.

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Posted By: 7ofus on 09/10/12 11:38am

07 Georigie Boy Landau . Flexsteel and Ultraleather. The 2 captains chairs have delaminated severely, and started doing so at the 2 year mark. We also have a matching recliner and it is still perfect. Same age, wear, and cleaning. Obviously a different batch or grade of material.

Numerous conversations and emails with Flexsteel and they "generously" offered to sell me new coverings for only about $400 per seat and I pay for installation.

I will never purchase anything with Flexsteel in it again. I just steered my dad away from a new MH with Flexsteel for this very reason.

Posted By: Tarheel 2 on 09/17/12 10:59am

We just got back from a month long trip and the two front seats in our 07 Tourmaster had a few places that the coating on the ultraleather was beginning to peel when we left. By the end of the second week, 1/3 of the coating was gone on the passenter's seat and footrest. I tried to contact Flexsteel and couldn't locate a customer service phone number, so I filled out the form to contact them that is provided on their website. I wasn't going to ask them to replace the seats, because I already knew that answer, but wanted to know what options I might have recovering my existing seats. I attempted two more times with their form and to this day, they haven't had the courteousy to email or call me back, a month from my first contact attempt.

I might suggest to those that still have an issue with their seats to contact a local auto upholsterer. They are removing my seats today at my storage facility, and for $500 each (including removal and reinstalling), they are reupholstering them with leather on the seat, back and arms, and using an exact match synthetic material on the rest of it. This includes a pocket behind the seat as I now have. Examples of their work going on in their shop looks far superior to a new seat.

I was in Indiana last week and contacted some companies in the Elkhart area who sell replacement seats and their prices were substantially more and I would have still ended up with a subpar seat made by Flexsteel! One company wanted $3,000 to replace both seats.

Tarheel

Posted By: pashir on 09/17/12 01:25pm

Some of the descriptions mention a coating and the pictures appear to show a somewhat shiny coating that is cracking/deteriorating. My 9 year old flexteel seats never had the look of a coating and are still virtually like new with approximately 90K miles on them. Apparently a totally different product in the later years.

Posted By: Tarheel 2 on 09/27/12 03:07pm

Tarheel 2 wrote:

We just got back from a month long trip and the two front seats in our 07 Tourmaster had a few places that the coating on the ultraleather was beginning to peel when we left. By the end of the second week, 1/3 of the coating was gone on the passenter's seat and footrest. I tried to contact Flexsteel and couldn't locate a customer service phone number, so I filled out the form to contact them that is provided on their website. I wasn't going to ask them to replace the seats, because I already knew that answer, but wanted to know what options I might have recovering my existing seats. I attempted two more times with their form and to this day, they haven't had the courteousy to email or call me back, a month from my first contact attempt.

I might suggest to those that still have an issue with their seats to contact a local auto upholsterer. They are removing my seats today at my storage facility, and for $500 each (including removal and reinstalling), they are reupholstering them with leather on the seat, back and arms, and using an exact match synthetic material on the rest of it. This includes a pocket behind the seat as I now have. Examples of their work going on in their shop looks far superior to a new seat.

I was in Indiana last week and contacted some companies in the Elkhart area who sell replacement seats and their prices were substantially more and I would have still ended up with a subpar seat made by Flexsteel! One company wanted $3,000 to replace both seats.

I finally received a reply from Flexsteel today and responded that I had my situation taken care of and no longer needed their service.

In a followup reply, she stated the following--

"Just a side note, if your motor home is a Damon/Four Winds/ Monaco/Fleetwood/Tiffin…..they all had problems with the fabric they selected."

I own a Gulfstream Tourmaster, but I thought owners of the above brand motorhomes who are having the same problem would appreciate their comments.

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 09/27/12 03:20pm

Tarheel 2 wrote:

Tarheel 2 wrote:

I finally received a reply from Flexsteel today and responded that I had my situation taken care of and no longer needed their service.

In a followup reply, she stated the following--

"Just a side note, if your motor home is a Damon/Four Winds/ Monaco/Fleetwood/Tiffin…..they all had problems with the fabric they selected."

I own a Gulfstream Tourmaster, but I thought owners of the above brand motorhomes who are having the same problem would appreciate their comments.

So, if I understand it correctly, Flexsteel is blaming all of the manufacturers for selecting the wrong material. I would have thought that Flexsteel would have refused to put their name on any product that they built with questionable fabric. That sounds like the typical blame game. Is Flexsteel located in Washington, DC? [emoticon]

Posted By: Daveinet on 09/27/12 07:50pm

If Flexsteel was actually a company with any integrity, they would be going back on THEIR supplier who sold them defective fabric. There is an obvious problem with their supplier. They are the dealers for Ultraleather as they are the resellers of the product. They obviously bought the fabric at a discount and resold it at a profit. Their name is on the chair. I'm actually surprised they have not sued their supplier for losses, as you can bet no one will want Flexsteel in any motorhome from now on.

Posted By: wny_pat on 09/27/12 09:41pm

rgatijnet1 wrote:

That sounds like the typical blame game. Is Flexsteel located in Washington, DC? [emoticon]
One would never think - DUBUQUE, IA 52001

Posted By: Ultraleather on 10/05/12 09:25am

My name is Danielle Boecker and I am one of the Principals of Ultrafabrics, LLC. We have been selling the ULTRALEATHER™ brand products to the RV trade for almost 20 years. ULTRALEATHER™ has become a recognized brand name for superior quality and performance among the RV industry, as well as aviation, marine, healthcare and contract seating to name a few. Due to the outstanding performance characteristics of our products we have achieved a high level of success. This has attracted many “knock off” products which are inferior to the technologies we use to produce the ULTRALEATHER ™ brand of fabrics.

I also noticed on some forums that there was some confusion with respect to the ownership of the ULTRALEATHER brand name. In 2007, a company called Faultless International Inc. located in Olympia, Washington filed for use of the ULTRALEATHER brand. When we contacted them, advising them of Ultrafabrics’ brand ownership, they withdrew their application. Case closed.

Additionally, many of the models mentioned in this forum, and several others, are not known to contain the genuine ULTRALEATHER ™ product when originally produced by the RV manufacturer. In fact, the only decision maker when it comes to the upholstery selected for your RV comes from the Motorhome manufacturer. Seating manufacturers have nothing to do with the selection of upholstery.

Lastly, if you can demonstrate that your interiors utilize the genuine ULTRALEATHER ™ brand materials we would be happy to accommodate you with replacement material (providing it falls within our corporate warranty). We can also send you a sample swatch of our brand so that you can compare it to what is currently upholstered – and deteriorating - in your RV.

Hopefully, this forum posting will help clarify any misconceptions, especially with respect to the ULTRALEATHER™ brand. However, if you still have additional questions and would like to discuss this further, please call our Quality Assurance Department toll free at 888-361-9216.

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 10/05/12 10:10am

Ultraleather wrote:

My name is Danielle Boecker and I am one of the Principals of Ultrafabrics, LLC.

Lastly, if you can demonstrate that your interiors utilize the genuine ULTRALEATHER ™ brand materials we would be happy to accommodate you with replacement material (providing it falls within our corporate warranty).

Having gone to your corporate website it says that your fabric is warranted for TWO years from the date of shipment of the fabric, NOT TWO years from the time any of us bought our motor home. It also is just to, as you say, send replacement material, not cover any installation of that material, or other costs involved to get the seats back to useability. I would guess that there are still many other hoops for the end user to jump through such as sending back defective material to your office for prior approval, etc.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond but even IF your fabric WAS used on every one of the numerous complaints, your warranty remedy to make things right is too little to be of any use to any consumer. In fact, like many warranties, it is almost a useless warranty, not to protect the consumer, but to protect ULTRALEATHER, in my opinion.

Posted By: billyboy on 10/05/12 11:01am

i noticed at the hershey rv show that the "thor" products no longer have flexsteel on them and are being made by someone else, which are at least 2 other companies. i think flexsteels time is numbered

09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

Posted By: RV'r on 10/05/12 01:59pm

Ultraleather wrote:

My name is Danielle Boecker .....

snip.....

yada, yada, yada....

Nice try Danielle, but you need to put yourself in the position of the end user. Imagine if you bought a brand new Mercedes and two years later the seating material began fraying, splitting, etc., making your almost new car look like******to yourself and anyone else sitting inside it. How happy would you be if you were offered replacement fabric ONLY, and you were on your own to find someone to do the replacement work, not to mention having to pay the cost of the work out of your pocket. And forget it if it was more than the two year fabric warranty, you'd be on your own for the total cost of repairs.

Not so satisfying, eh?

Posted By: Charlie D. on 10/05/12 06:11pm

wny_pat wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

That sounds like the typical blame game. Is Flexsteel located in Washington, DC? [emoticon]
One would never think - DUBUQUE, IA 52001

There is a Flex Steel factory in Harrison, Arkansas

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Posted By: Snowman9000 on 10/05/12 06:22pm

Seems like several of you are being hard on the UL woman, when in fact she said many of the models being discussed are known not to have actual UL brand materials. Why don't you contact her and see what you have?

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

Posted By: 2inAlabama on 10/05/12 07:00pm

I don't have a dog in this fight, er, argument, but it sure seems strange to me that Flexsteel would risk its reputation as the standard for quality furniture in the RV industry by allowing their products to use sub-standard materials.

And why would Ultraleather allow an associate or competitor to use the Ultraleather name and trademark with a sub-standard product without a fight?

Makes no sense to me. I guess we don't have all of the picture.

Just DH & DW
'01 Foretravel U320 42 ft ISM450

Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 10/05/12 07:02pm

Snowman9000 wrote:

Seems like several of you are being hard on the UL woman, when in fact she said many of the models being discussed are known not to have actual UL brand materials. Why don't you contact her and see what you have?

I disagree. I was pointing out how the UL warranty is basically useless, since she mentioned she could help IF, our situation fit within her corporate warranty conditions. Unless our problem happened in less than two years after we purchased the coach, her warranty would not help. Then, the UL warranty ONLY covers replacement fabric, not any labor to change out the defective fabric. If you have a seat where the UL material is deteriorating, would you want to put the EXACT same fabric on that seat, at your expense, for the labor? A few bucks worth of UL material is peanuts compared with the hassle and expense of sending your seats out to be recovered.

Print  |  Close