Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: New Arctic Fox 865 is on the way home.......

Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/07/12 08:05pm

My wife and I decided to do our part to stimulate the economy. Our 2000 Lance was getting old and we wanted an aluminum framed camper that would serve us well in our pre and retirement years.

We did not want a slide and we fell in love with the floor plan of the AF 865. The problem was that the closest dealer to us in Florida was 1,000 miles away and they did not have an 865. After a nationwide search we found one of the very few 2013 865's on a dealer's lot in Portland, Oregon.

So...sight unseen, and working with a dealer we have not and may never meet, we took the plunge.

But how to get the camper back home. Fortunately I work for a company that regularly sends transport trucks out to the west coast to drop off loads. They normally come back empty. Not this time!

Our driver called me a little while ago and said he had my baby all loaded and ready for the long haul back to Florida. With any luck I may have it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Here are a few pics of it today after they loaded it.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Clicky to Brochure Interior Shots


Posted By: popupcamping on 09/07/12 08:07pm

congratulations

would have been a fun drive though.


Posted By: Bedlam on 09/07/12 08:14pm

I have had good dealings with the Apache dealers in Tacoma and Everett. I hope you have the same.


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200



Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/07/12 08:16pm

They have been fantastic to this point...now it is up to our driver.


Posted By: donlu on 09/07/12 08:21pm

Congratulations on your new AF! We hope it gives you many years of great travels... why don't you join us in Cedar Key for the SE Rally in October to show off your new rig?
Donlu


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/07/12 08:23pm

We are all signed up!


Posted By: jimh425 on 09/07/12 08:47pm

Congratulations! Post more pics when it is on your truck!


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.



Posted By: kerry4951 on 09/07/12 08:26pm

Congratulations!! And you just saved yourself a ton of money with shipping. If I ever pull the trigger again on another TC, I will be making the trip out west to Oregon. I will not pay shipping and sale tax on the next one.


2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods


Posted By: Ski Pro 3 on 09/07/12 08:31pm

Congratulations!

I bet you don't get much sleep until then, and probably for a couple days after as well while you play with your new toy. To pass the time, detail out the truck and make it as new looking as that beautiful camper.

Too late now probably, but I would have recommended a shrink wrap on the camper considering the long distance it's going to travel.


Posted By: donlu on 09/07/12 08:39pm

Crazy Creek wrote:

We are all signed up!

That is great! I am sorry that I did not recognize your forum name... we are looking forward to seeing your new rig.. WooHoo!


Posted By: noxinnhoj on 09/07/12 08:43pm

Wow,like that tc,how are they going to get it of the trailer?congrats


1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite


Posted By: nm1oqrz on 09/07/12 08:43pm

Hi kerry4951. You don't have to go out west for a TC and no sales tax, just go up to New Hampshire. Just about every mfg is available in NH
Happy camping nm1oqrz


Posted By: Eugarps on 09/07/12 08:45pm

CC,

You lucky guy, you! I've been hunting an 865 for months and was told AF was not making them and they didn't have another production run scheduled. There you go. Getting my information from AF dealers with unsold stock. They weren't interested in ordering on for me. [emoticon]

I guess I'll call Apache!

Bill


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/07/12 08:56pm

noxinnhoj wrote:

Wow,like that tc,how are they going to get it of the trailer?congrats


They put dually swing out brackets on all four jacks. The driver backed under it just like you would with a pick-up. He had about 1/4" on each side. Yikes! He actually had to remove his side marker lights to get it to go.


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/07/12 08:59pm

Eugarps wrote:

CC,

You lucky guy, you! I've been hunting an 865 for months and was told AF was not making them and they didn't have another production run scheduled. There you go. Getting my information from AF dealers with unsold stock. They weren't interested in ordering on for me. [emoticon]

I guess I'll call Apache!

Bill


It is true that they only run the 865 about once a year. I understood from AF that the next run was months away. I was fortunate to find one.


Posted By: Ski Pro 3 on 09/07/12 09:00pm

If they had put the camper on that truck facing the other direction, you could have just driven on and loaded it right there.

Probably could have put it on the truck that way too.


Posted By: kerry4951 on 09/07/12 09:01pm

nm1oqrz wrote:

Hi kerry4951. You don't have to go out west for a TC and no sales tax, just go up to New Hampshire. Just about every mfg is available in NH
Happy camping nm1oqrz

You are right.....NH has no sales tax. But you have to look at how much you will also save in purchase price and shipping cost by buying out west. Compare next time and you will be shocked.


Posted By: Bedlam on 09/07/12 09:45pm

Eugarps wrote:

CC,

You lucky guy, you! I've been hunting an 865 for months and was told AF was not making them and they didn't have another production run scheduled. There you go. Getting my information from AF dealers with unsold stock. They weren't interested in ordering on for me. [emoticon]

I guess I'll call Apache!

Bill

Apache had no problems ordering what we wanted even when they had 811's on the lot. There was no pressure to take one home today.


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/08/12 05:44am

skipro3 wrote:

If they had put the camper on that truck facing the other direction, you could have just driven on and loaded it right there.

Probably could have put it on the truck that way too.


What you can't tell by the pictures is that aft of the camper there are eight sets of trailer wheels that prevents us from driving the truck onto the lowboy. He may have been able to do it that way if he wanted the unit to ride on the last 20 feet of the trailer but my driver wanted it tucked up behind his tractor.


Posted By: wcjeep on 09/08/12 09:47am

It has the rear bumper steps not available on my 2008 AF 811. Congrats. Bought mine from Tacoma Apache. No problems.


Posted By: SorryDangDog on 09/08/12 11:10am

Hi CC, congratulations, she sure is pretty. I have just started researching TCs and hope to buy one in a year or so. I found it ironic that I had somewhat figured out that the way to go would be with a Lance and especially a newer one with Lance lock construction. Here you are a long time Lance owner and you are changing brands.Could you educate me in the difference between Lance's construction and the Aluminum Frame construction you hope to enjoy for many years with your AF? Were there any other factors besides falling in love with the floor plan?


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/08/12 11:42am

SorryDangDog wrote:

Hi CC, congratulations, she sure is pretty. I have just started researching TCs and hope to buy one in a year or so. I found it ironic that I had somewhat figured out that the way to go would be with a Lance and especially a newer one with Lance lock construction. Here you are a long time Lance owner and you are changing brands.Could you educate me in the difference between Lance's construction and the Aluminum Frame construction you hope to enjoy for many years with your AF? Were there any other factors besides falling in love with the floor plan?


SDD

The only fact that I know about the Lance and the Arctic Fox is that they are both aluminum superstructures. That was the single most important objective that I had. Honestly I don't know the value of one superstructure over the other.

Based on reviews from others on this forum and my other contacts, generally people are very happy with their AF. They are a little heavier but I have a 3500 Dually and weight won't be a problem.

The holding tanks in the AF are considerably bigger than a Lance of similar size. Important to us as we primarily dry camp.

Fresh - 34
Gray - 32
Black 31

The propane tanks are each 28% larger than the Lance, as Arctic Fox uses two 7 gallon, vs Lance's two 5 gallon.

I think I'm going to like the entry steps and platform on the Arctic Fox. But until I use it the jury is out on that one.

Again, the floor plan. We love the openness and brightness of this design.

We did not want a slide and this layout gives you the benefits of the full booth dinette without having a slide.

I have a Lance dealer 40 miles from my house but chose to purchase from across the country to get exactly what we wanted.


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/08/12 12:02pm

SDD said...

Here you are a long time Lance owner and you are changing brands.

Just a side note on brand loyalty. I have none. The company that builds the better product and backs it with better service...wins.


Posted By: billtex on 09/08/12 12:17pm

Congrats CC...very nice camper.

I do have a ? for you; why did you decide against a slide?
I am think of going the other way...non-slide into a slide to get more room.

Tx, Bill


2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/08/12 12:30pm

billtex wrote:

Congrats CC...very nice camper.

I do have a ? for you; why did you decide against a slide?
I am think of going the other way...non-slide into a slide to get more room.

Tx, Bill


Bill, we are very nomadic in the way we use our TC. We rarely spend more than one night in the same spot, we dry camp in rest areas and urban environments when traveling from place to place. We jump in and out of our truck and into the camper a dozen times a day when traveling. We just want to be able to open the door and get in.

We checked out a Lance 1050S at a Dealer near us. My wife could, but I could not get in the camper with the slide in. And I'm not a big guy. A lot of people say, just bump out the slide a bit. Call me lazy, I just don't want to be bothered by it. One thing is for certain, I will never have my slide malfunction. Throw in the extra coin to purchase one and those are good enough for me.

But the challenge is to find a non-slide that gives you the full booth dinette of a slide. That's the hard part.

If we spent more time in one spot and needed/wanted more space, we might consider a slide. But for now we are content with not having one. There are only two of us and an occasional grand-young-un or two. We view our TC as a step up from a tent, not a step down from a Class A. Heck, if I need more space, I may get a TT instead. Blasphemy!!!

Not sure if it makes sense. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. [emoticon]


Posted By: big whitey on 09/08/12 01:42pm

Crazy Creek wrote:

billtex wrote:

Congrats CC...very nice camper.

I do have a ? for you; why did you decide against a slide?
I am think of going the other way...non-slide into a slide to get more room.

Tx, Bill


Bill, we are very nomadic in the way we use our TC. We rarely spend more than one night in the same spot, we dry camp in rest areas and urban environments when traveling from place to place. We jump in and out of our truck and into the camper a dozen times a day when traveling. We just want to be able to open the door and get in.

We checked out a Lance 1050S at a Dealer near us. My wife could, but I could not get in the camper with the slide in. And I'm not a big guy. A lot of people say, just bump out the slide a bit. Call me lazy, I just don't want to be bothered by it. One thing is for certain, I will never have my slide malfunction. Throw in the extra coin to purchase one and those are good enough for me.

But the challenge is to find a non-slide that gives you the full booth dinette of a slide. That's the hard part.

If we spent more time in one spot and needed/wanted more space, we might consider a slide. But for now we are content with not having one. There are only two of us and an occasional grand-young-un or two. We view our TC as a step up from a tent, not a step down from a Class A. Heck, if I need more space, I may get a TT instead. Blasphemy!!!

Not sure if it makes sense. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. [emoticon]


X2 on the not worrying about a slide malfunction. i am a card carrying member of the KISS principle(keep it simple stupid). the slide is a very nice option until there is a problem then it is a very big headache.


Posted By: SorryDangDog on 09/08/12 02:46pm

Crazy Creek wrote:

SDD said...

Here you are a long time Lance owner and you are changing brands.

Just a side note on brand loyalty. I have none. The company that builds the better product and backs it with better service...wins.


Thanks for the aluminum structure clarification and I agree with you on the slide and being able to run and gun daily/quickly.

I wasn't talking about brand loyalty, as much as customer satisfaction, product knowledge, etc. Like I said I am just starting down this long road, that I hope ends in an TC purchase. I know you can't wait to get your new AF.....shoulda had the driver put a SPOT in it for you!


Posted By: kerry4951 on 09/08/12 02:51pm

I've been RVing for 13 years. My TC is the 3rd RV that I've owned with a slide out. With all the issues and problems that I have encountered over the years RVing, I never once had a problem with any of the slide outs.


Posted By: kerry4951 on 09/08/12 02:59pm

SorryDangDog wrote:

Hi CC, congratulations, she sure is pretty. I have just started researching TCs and hope to buy one in a year or so. I found it ironic that I had somewhat figured out that the way to go would be with a Lance and especially a newer one with Lance lock construction. Here you are a long time Lance owner and you are changing brands.Could you educate me in the difference between Lance's construction and the Aluminum Frame construction you hope to enjoy for many years with your AF? Were there any other factors besides falling in love with the floor plan?

One difference is that AF puts wood inserts into the core of their aluminum where attachment points are needed. When a fixture or cabinet is attached. the screws can bite into the aluminum as well as the wood. I dont know this personally, but I was told from someone who owned both that they felt there was less vibration and noise inside the AF while running their genny. He always felt that the wood inside the aluminum framing caused less echoing and vibration overall. Although I never experienced both TCs, his reasoning made sense to me.


Posted By: Butch50 on 09/08/12 06:10pm

Hey Crazy,

Congrats on your new camper.

I know what you mean by not having a slide out. I have had them on many of the rigs we have owned and this time we decided to keep it simpler. I also want to be able to be stealth and a slidout out is a sure sign there is somebody in the camper. I have had 2 AFs before I bought our new NL and the model that I was looking at was the same one you bought but I was also told by Northwood that they only run the 865 once a year and the unit has to be sold to either a dealer or a customer because they were not going to floor it as they just don't sell that many. I see you have the Fox Landing on yours. That is one of the nicest steps on the market IMO. I'm looking at buying one from AF and installing it on my NL. I already have the price on it and called the dealer back but they were busy right then and were going to call me back but I guess it got to late so I'll be talking to them on Monday.


Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/08/12 06:23pm

I wish I can give you some feedback on how the Fox Landing works. I will find out next weekend when I take it for a shakedown trip. If you haven't ordered yours yet I will be glad to provide some thoughts on my experience with it.


Posted By: Catsmobob on 09/08/12 06:39pm

Good luck with your new camper.We just got back from picking our Chalet S95R up from a dealer in Portland. 6500 miles and 448 gallons of diesel but what a great trip. AF was my 2nd choice but thought the 990 was a bit heavy for my srw Chevy. Our Chalet has as much floor space with the slide in as the non slides we looked at. Enjoy Bob


Catsmobob. Saugerties NY 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW CC Duramax/Allison LTZ. 1999 Lund Pro Sport with 2004 Merc 115 4Stroke; 2012 Chalet S95R, Torklift stableloads and tie downs with fastguns


Posted By: billtex on 09/08/12 06:53pm

Crazy Creek wrote:

billtex wrote:

Congrats CC...very nice camper.

I do have a ? for you; why did you decide against a slide?
I am think of going the other way...non-slide into a slide to get more room.

Tx, Bill


Bill, we are very nomadic in the way we use our TC. We rarely spend more than one night in the same spot, we dry camp in rest areas and urban environments when traveling from place to place. We jump in and out of our truck and into the camper a dozen times a day when traveling. We just want to be able to open the door and get in.

We checked out a Lance 1050S at a Dealer near us. My wife could, but I could not get in the camper with the slide in. And I'm not a big guy. A lot of people say, just bump out the slide a bit. Call me lazy, I just don't want to be bothered by it. One thing is for certain, I will never have my slide malfunction. Throw in the extra coin to purchase one and those are good enough for me.

But the challenge is to find a non-slide that gives you the full booth dinette of a slide. That's the hard part.

If we spent more time in one spot and needed/wanted more space, we might consider a slide. But for now we are content with not having one. There are only two of us and an occasional grand-young-un or two. We view our TC as a step up from a tent, not a step down from a Class A. Heck, if I need more space, I may get a TT instead. Blasphemy!!!

Not sure if it makes sense. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it. [emoticon]


OK CC...that makes sense...
3 of us + dog = the need for more space...we'll see. Our current non-slide has been very trouble free, and for the most part suits us just fine.
OTH our Son is not getting any smaller (11 yrs old) and I'll do what ever is needed to keep him camping with us as long as possible...and he is asking for a bigger bed!

Tx, Bill


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/09/12 09:48am

Catsmobob wrote:

Good luck with your new camper.We just got back from picking our Chalet S95R up from a dealer in Portland. 6500 miles and 448 gallons of diesel but what a great trip. AF was my 2nd choice but thought the 990 was a bit heavy for my srw Chevy. Our Chalet has as much floor space with the slide in as the non slides we looked at. Enjoy Bob


Cats

I do like that layout. It seems like that is one of the few slide units that gives you total access to everything without having to bump the slide out.

Congrats on your purchase!


Posted By: 2BLAZERS on 09/10/12 10:58am

Congrats on your new baby! We bought our AF 1150 from Apache in Portland and will be going back to them our next time around too.


2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox


Posted By: spacedoutbob on 09/10/12 11:19am

Congratulations on Your New Camper, Take your Dad with you on the Shakedown Trip! I'm sure he would enjoy it! May You and Your Family, Have Many Happy Adventures with it.

Bob in Calif.


Good Sam Club Life Member



Posted By: GeoBoy on 09/10/12 07:34pm

CC,
The 865 looks great.It appears that we may go back to a TC. We just visited a Hallmark user up in Maine and the wife liked the unit. We are going to fly to Colorado and visit Hallmark and if I see what we like there will be a new UTE/Everest in our near future. We just miss the spontaneity we had with our first TC and like you just like having our rig with us at all times. We believe that the popup will allow us to bring our pac canoes with us and go places a hardside might be too tall for.
Have fun.


Posted By: donlu on 09/13/12 08:14am

Is your new AF coming via US 19/98/27 and is South of Perry, FL this morning? If so, I think we just passed it on our way to St. George's Island... If it is, it sure was pretty perched up on it's flat bed trailer waiting to be loaded on your truck when it arrives to it's new home!
See you in Cedar Key!


Posted By: SorryDangDog on 09/13/12 10:19am

How cool is that?!?!

donlu wrote:

I think we just passed it on our way to St. George's Island...



Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/13/12 12:36pm

donlu wrote:

Is your new AF coming via US 19/98/27 and is South of Perry, FL this morning? If so, I think we just passed it on our way to St. George's Island... If it is, it sure was pretty perched up on it's flat bed trailer waiting to be loaded on your truck when it arrives to it's new home!
See you in Cedar Key!


Donlu

Yep that was it!

It arrived at our plant about 11:30am. We offloaded it from the transport truck and loaded it on to my truck. I'll be taking it home tonight.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

See you in Cedar Key!


Posted By: roguegaston on 09/14/12 12:06am

I saw your 865 on the lot at Apache. I wanted to look in it, but they said it was sold... [emoticon]


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 09/14/12 05:30am

donlu wrote:

I think we just passed it on our way to St. George's Island...


roguegaston wrote:

I saw your 865 on the lot at Apache.


Man...I feel violated!

Everyone saw my new date before I did. [emoticon]


Posted By: pkclmbr on 01/07/13 01:27pm

Hi Crazy Creek,

Hopeflly your 865 was delivered in great shape and you are enjoying some great adventures. We ordered an 865 from Apache Campers in Portland this fall and it is being built even as I write this. We are very excited but as we may have the option of having it shipped instead of having to take a week (my wife is still working and we use virtually all our vacation time in the Yukon and Alaska) and pick it up ourselves I was curious if your unit came through ok or are there any additional shipping / protection (plastic wrap) steps we should consider. Thanks and best of luck with your 865!


Posted By: kerry4951 on 01/07/13 02:24pm

pkclmbr wrote:

Hi Crazy Creek,

Hopeflly your 865 was delivered in great shape and you are enjoying some great adventures. We ordered an 865 from Apache Campers in Portland this fall and it is being built even as I write this. We are very excited but as we may have the option of having it shipped instead of having to take a week (my wife is still working and we use virtually all our vacation time in the Yukon and Alaska) and pick it up ourselves I was curious if your unit came through ok or are there any additional shipping / protection (plastic wrap) steps we should consider. Thanks and best of luck with your 865!

For a model that was suppose to be discontinued its good to see they are still producing them. You won't go wrong with your AF. Best built RV that I ever owned.


Posted By: Crazy Creek on 01/07/13 03:43pm

pkclmbr wrote:

Hi Crazy Creek,

Hopeflly your 865 was delivered in great shape and you are enjoying some great adventures. We ordered an 865 from Apache Campers in Portland this fall and it is being built even as I write this. We are very excited but as we may have the option of having it shipped instead of having to take a week (my wife is still working and we use virtually all our vacation time in the Yukon and Alaska) and pick it up ourselves I was curious if your unit came through ok or are there any additional shipping / protection (plastic wrap) steps we should consider. Thanks and best of luck with your 865!


PK,

Our 865 came through unscathed. A journey of over 3,000 miles. It was not covered or shrink wrapped.

There is one thing you want to make sure of. The two 30 pound propane cylinders are on a slide. There is a hole to "pin" the slider so it does not move. Make sure they do this. Mine was not pinned and the cylinder slide pushed on the door. There is a real possibility of the cylinders sliding out the door on a sharp turn. This is not just during transportation. You need to do this when you are traveling with it.

CC


Posted By: pkclmbr on 01/07/13 04:18pm

Kerry 4951,

I believe the current production run of the 865 model at Northwoods was for an Apache order exclusively. I don't know if Apache will be able to do it again in the future. If someone is interested in the model they may want to contact Apache.


Posted By: Judithgap on 01/07/13 06:19pm

That is so cool that your company would do that for you. I am sure you are excited to see it arrive, get it on the truck and try it out.


Posted By: Butch50 on 01/07/13 06:33pm

.


Posted By: trail-explorer on 01/07/13 07:16pm

Wow, I had no idea the 865 was being discontinued. It's true though, it no longer shows up on their website.


Bob


Posted By: 12V Cummins on 01/08/13 07:04am

the 865 is being made exclusively for certain dealers


Posted By: splinter7 on 01/31/13 05:57pm

Arctic Fox made 14 2013 865's at the request of 4 of their dealership.


Sue & Don
Sheena - the cross-eyed wonder cat

2008 Ford Lariat F350 SRW diesel 4x4
2013 Arctic Fox 865




Print  |  Close