|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much water to use when flushing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Camper Ken

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I've been RV'ing for several years I have a question. When flushing an RV toilet how much water should one use? If it's liquid waste, is any additional water needed? Obviously for solid waste some addition water is required for the flush but how much more to insure proper breakdown in the holding tank?

For weeklong dry camping trips I'd like to maximize the use of my 40 gallon holding tank, so all advice and opinions are appreciated.

Ken

2016 Itasca Navion 24J

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive never dry camped but understand your concern on water management.
When I flush, for liquid, just the three to four inches of water in the bowl go down with maybe a second or two of extra to rinse then I fill the bowl back to the three inch level. For solids, I get all the paper down and make sure any remnants are down the hatch.
You could carry a gallon or two in jugs to use for filling your toilet bowl up. I carry a gallon jug for "on the road" flushes.

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best way to think is before you dump the black tank is to make sure it is at least 2/3 full (full is even better which will help any solids to slide right out)

...and yes you should always add water when flushing...we count to three after we flush

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Camper Ken

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swebber wrote:

Ive never dry camped but understand your concern on water management.
When I flush, for liquid, just the three to four inches of water in the bowl go down with maybe a second or two of extra to rinse then I fill the bowl back to the three inch level. For solids, I get all the paper down and make sure any remnants are down the hatch.
You could carry a gallon or two in jugs to use for filling your toilet bowl up. I carry a gallon jug for "on the road" flushes.

When I said "For weeklong dry camping trips I'd like to maximize the use of my 40 gallon holding tank... " I meant the black tank. I have plenty of capacity in my freshwater tank so carrying extra water for on the road flushes is not a concern.

Thanks for your advice though.

Ken

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always start off with a few gallons (after dumping/rinsing) in the tank and always add a bit of water (more with solids) with each use. Our 40 gallon black tank will normally last a week before needing to be dumped.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill up the bowel enough to flush as opposed to running water into the open hole.

Lay off the beer and coffee, it'll reduce how much liquid you're putting in the tank. [emoticon]

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For liquids I dont use any flush water but for solids I fill the bowl to about the top and let it go.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still haven't found the balance between too much and not enough water with the flush. (We only have a 30 gallong black tank, for the record)

In a week of camping with full hookups, we'll fill it in the first two days, then go five or six days without filling it. When we camped without hookups last summer, we went about three days with heavy use. However, when I pull the flush handle, the majority of what comes out looks to be liquid, so I think we're still over-using the water. If we've got hookups, it's not a big deal, but I can see it becoming an issue next month when we driveway camp at a friend's place for a few days.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not indicate how large your fresh water tank was. In my case my gray and black tanks have much more capacity than my fresh water. Thus if I do not add water to the fresh water then it should not be possible to overfill the black tank. I use a full bowl of water before flush every time it is solid waste material. The more water you use the less trouble you will have with the black tank.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After using the toilet, fill the bowl with a little less than half of what you would you see sitting in your house toilet.

After you flush all the water you need in the bowl is just enough to ensure the opening is covered with water to seal out any sewer gas from getting past it from the tank.

This ;ast step is where you can conserve water, there is not need to fill it up 'after' you flush and then fill it up again to flush. We are just used to seeing that in our house toilets.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much water to use when flushing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.