RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2013 AF 865 is home at last.......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2013 AF 865 is home at last.......

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wrangler5191

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you guys like pictures, I thought I would give you a photo tour of the new AF 865. I have included some measurements because that is one element that I think the TC websites are lacking.

Also, not sure how I did it, but I have two forum names. I need to get rid of Wrangler5191. Most would know me by Crazy Creek.

Here you go....

[image]

[image]

[image]
One of the first things I did was run it up to Dad's house. You know, its interesting...no matter how old you are...or he is....you always feel good when you get your Dad's blessing. He looked me in the eyes and said. "You done good son. I like it"...followed by...when is our next trip. [emoticon]

A few interior shots...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I like these little gas shocks for the doors

[image]

Mama is going to like this sink faucet. By the way, she has not even seen the unit yet. We bought it sight unseen and she has been out of state visiting relatives. I hope she feels as good about this purchase as my Dad did.

[image]

I think we are going to like the Dream dinette.

[image]

The cabin lights are on dimmer switches. I like that already.

[image]

[image]

The wet bath is a lot bigger than what we have been used to at about 36"x40".

[image]

[image]

[image]

The galley top measures about 65". Forgive me...I'm in the boat business. I'm surprised I didn't call the wet bath, the head.

[image]

The full booth dinette seating measures 39" wide.

[image]

But the galley floor is still plenty wide for two people to pass comfortably. That is why we liked this layout so much. You get "slide like" space without the slide. I said "slide like" not same as slide. Just wanted to get in front of that one.

[image]

Going to get a cup of coffee. Be right back.....

[image]

I like the two 30lb tanks on a slider. I had less capacity and no slider in my old rig.

[image]

I hate this ladder arrangement. Every time you have to get to this storage you have to wrestle with these cheap little pins that don't line up. C'mon Northwood, you can do better.

[image]

Outdoor speakers and an awning. Moving on up to the big time...

[image]

Swing out jacks for the dually.

[image]

This slide out tray is very convenient.

[image]

The Fox Landing is amazing!

[image]

The bottom side of the Fox Landing and bumper. This thing needs to be beefy because you create a lot of leverage when stepping on the stairs. Someone mentioned putting one of these Fox Landings on their not Fox bumper. I'm sure it is possible but I'm here to tell you that there is quite a bit of leverage exerted on the bumper when stepping on one.

The following pictures show the deflection when doing so.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The slide out battery tray makes maintenance easy.

[image]

The rain gutter extensions are funky looking but they serve a purpose.

[image]

It did not take long for Daisy to get comfortable.

[image]

LED tail lights.

[image]

There is not a good place to put a TV in an 865. I'm going to have to get creative on this one.

[image]

I thought I was going to miss my "traditional" outdoor shower, but after playing with this thing for a while, I'm going to like this even more.

[image]

One of the first things I did, was fired up my Honda and see how it did with the Polar Cub 9200. Purrrfect!

[image]

Missed it by that much! Looks like I have to move the camper back a tad.

[image]

A shout out to Kevin Baker and the Apache Camping Center of Portland, Oregeon team. They made this, sight unseen, 3,000 mile cross country purchase a pleasure.

* This post was last edited 09/15/12 08:50am by wrangler5191 *   View edit history

Crazy Creek

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like the AF865, even more so now that Northwood has come out with the Fox Landing. I love how open the floor plan is in the back of the camper. What is the wet weight of your 2013? I'd love to know how heavy it is at the scales.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

wrangler5191

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mello Mike wrote:

I really like the AF865, even more so now that Northwood has come out with the Fox Landing. I love how open the floor plan is in the back of the camper. What is the wet weight of your 2013? I'd love to know how heavy it is at the scales.

It may be a couple of weeks before I can find out. But as soon as I hit the scales, I will post the info.

Mike

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations! Nice looking combination!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy Creek,

Seeing as you are "Crazy Creek" is your Dad "Crazy River" and someday when you grow up a little more you well become a river also and if you have a son well he be known as "Crazy Stream".[emoticon] I know stupid but just trying to have a little fun.

Anyway great looking camper. AF build a good unit and this is from past experiece with them. I have previously owned 2 AFs.

I'm the guy that is thinking about installing the Fox Landing on my camper. My present camper has a 4 step down but is goes straight out the back and is 26" of overhang from the back of the bumper where it is attached to at this time and the bumper never moves when I'm on the step furtherest from the bumper. The step flexes some but not the bumper. I'm not what you would call a little guy either. The bumper on my camper is 4" box tubing with a sidewall of 1/8" and is fastened on each end with a piece of 1/4" steel with an "L" bend in it for strength and welded on 2 sides. Then these are tied into the jack mounting locations with 2 bolts on each side. I don't think I have ever seen a bumper as stout as this one on a camper. I was just out to mine and I pulled the step out and it well flex about 3/4 of an inch on the very last step but the flex is coming out of the slide out step and not the bumper (these 2 steps are the type they use on 5th wheel and travel trailers). The type that slide out and then the next step folds out. The platform that is fastened to the bumper does not flex either.

Now is it the step or the bumper that is flexing or can you tell Another question that you might not have any idea of but do you know if they offer another step so it would be 5 step? I know even with my 4 step I still need another portable step on the ground or my wife has problems getting into it.

Don't want to hijack your thread but just so curious about the Fox Landing as I think it is the best thing since sliced bread espically if you tow anything.

Thanks and again congrats on the new camper and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. Looks good on the Dodge dually also.

ON EDIT: Are you sure the AC is a 9200 Polar Cub. When I had my 2011 AF 1140 at that time all of the AC (as far as I knew) were 11,000 BTU on campers. My present NL has the 11,000 BTU on it. What breed of dog is Daisy, she looks a lot like our mini Labradoodle. Pretty much the same color as ours. She looks like a sweet dog and ready to go camping.

* This post was last edited 09/15/12 01:13pm by Butch50 *   View edit history

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

wrangler5191

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Butch50 wrote:

Crazy Creek,

Now is it the step or the bumper that is flexing or can you tell Another question that you might not have any idea of but do you know if they offer another step so it would be 5 step? I know even with my 4 step I still need another portable step on the ground or my wife has problems getting into it.

ON EDIT: Are you sure the AC is a 9200 Polar Cub. When I had my 2011 AF 1140 at that time all of the AC (as far as I knew) were 11,000 BTU on campers. My present NL has the 11,000 BTU on it. What breed of dog is Daisy, she looks a lot like our mini Labradoodle. Pretty much the same color as ours. She looks like a sweet dog and ready to go camping.

Butch,

After you asked the question, I went out and took a closer look. As you can tell from the picture there are rubber bumpers that contact the bumper when the landing hinges down. That accounts for most of flex. Some of the flex is in the landing steps and the remainder at the bumper. If I had to guess, I would say that only 10% of the flex that I saw was in the bumper.

[image]

I don't know if they make additional steps. But my first step is 14" off the ground when my truck is sitting level.

I special ordered the Polar Cub 9200

Daisy is a Bichon

Mike

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

congrats for the new camper, really nice, and thanks for all pictures and measurements, very interesting.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy Creek (Mike)

Thanks for checking that, it had me a little worried that I was going to get a step that was not as strong as my present one. From reading when the Fox Landing was being designed that they wanted to be able to have 2 people on it and it would support them and everything that AF builds has a tendency to be heavy built or even over built. That is one of the reasons that they are on the heavy side but very nice campers. You have plenty of truck for it that is for sure. That also explains the 9200, you ordered it with a 9200 makes sense now, thanks. Nice setup.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant seem to convince the wife on getting a new one, but if I could, the AF you got would be my first choice.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Crazy Creek

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

I cant seem to convince the wife on getting a new one, but if I could, the AF you got would be my first choice.

Have your people, call my people...we will see if we can help [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2013 AF 865 is home at last.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.