RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Heat strip and heater questions.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Heat strip and heater questions.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

katysdad wrote:

Both Dometic and Coleman have an optional heat strip that can be installed.

my Dometic 13.5k ducted a/c does not have an optional heat strip. i don't think any of the ducted ones have this option.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

katysdad wrote:

Both Dometic and Coleman have an optional heat strip that can be installed.

my Dometic 13.5k ducted a/c does not have an optional heat strip. i don't think any of the ducted ones have this option.

DUCTED has NO bearing on adding Heat Strips. You can add Heat Strips on Ducted or non ducted. You MAY have to change the wall tstat if you do not have a tstat with Heat Strip mode. When you state Heat Strip option, that just means that it is prewired for the Heat Strip ON the AC unit. There is an additional plug on the control box housing for the Heat Strip to plug into the box. Doug

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our two Dometic A/C's in the motorhome are ducted and they both have heat strips.

Remember, 1500W is about all you're going to get out of any 120VAC electric heater. The heat strips don't blow "hot" air because the air that comes out the ducts has been cooled somewhat between the heater and the ducts. Also, they must run for a while to bring the ducting up to temperature, but once that's done, you can feel the warmth from the ducts. 1500 watts of electric heat is 1500 watts of electric heat. The ducting just distributes it over a wider area so it doesn't feel as warm.

We use our heat strips quite a bit when camping in the Spring & Fall. They work to gently heat the air, but when run continually they have kept us cozy in low 40 degree temps on the Maine coast with a pretty stiff breeze off the ocean. The electricity was paid in my camping fee, so why use my own propane? I've also run the rear A/C on the heat strip and set the front control to turn on the furnace if the temps drop much below 40 degrees.

We're glad we have the heat strips and would recommend them to others.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Heat strip and heater questions.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.