RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Adding electric heat??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Adding electric heat??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Effy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was cleaning my Coleman Mach 13.5k rooftop air unit the other day. Taking off the filter cover and unscrewed the other panel to ensure I cleaned in there really good (I am standing inside the coach cleaning it from the bottom) . I noticed a sticker on the inside wall of the unit that says "Position for electric heat mount" . (Not sure if that's verbatim - should have written it down or taken a pic, but that's the gist of it) It was on a vertical side of what I would guess is the main duct after the fan. So, does this mean there are kits that can be installed to provide electric heat? It would be nice as my ACE only has LP heat. An addition of electric heat would be great. I already upgraded to a digital thermostat with heat capability a while ago, but only did that for the digital aspect. Anyone ever come across this?

2013 ACE 29.2

fourmat

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

heat
it appears you can add a heat strip

2009 Challenger

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Heat Strip isn't worth the effort or cost to install IMHO ! Better and cheaper to just use one or two 750/1500 Watt Electric Heaters, or if You want to really jazz it up install an Electric Fireplace!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robatthelake wrote:

A Heat Strip isn't worth the effort or cost to install IMHO ! Better and cheaper to just use one or two 750/1500 Watt Electric Heaters

X - 2!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add a heat strip, you have to have the switch position that says heat. The chassis may have that sticker but unless there is a connector to plug the heat strip in to, and the proper rotary switch that says heat, you can't install one in your unit, without a lot of hassle. I had one coach with a heat strip and it was marginal as to effectiveness. It was OK if the temps only got to the 50's. Less than that and it didn't do much.

Effy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, if I am understanding correctly, it's really just a heating element that relies on the existing fan, a switch to apply electric to a small resistance heat coil. The fan blows across and "heats" the air. Seems a rather small unit for ducted air. At best almost like a hair dryer.LP heat works fine. But uses LP, which I guess why nicer units have electric and LP heat. So, not worth the $60.00? I usually don’t camp in real cold weather but this seems cumbersome just to knock the chill off and would have to run the fan as long as it's on right? Then manually turn each off? Manually turn tham back on etc etc.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

As others have said, if your controls have a "Heat" position, it should be straight forward.

We have heat strips in both of our A/C units and use them quite frequently when we camp in the Spring & Fall. They don't throw a lot of heat, but if you run them long enough, they do fine by gently warming the air. We've camped right on the ocean in Maine with temps in the 40's and fairly high winds, and the heat strips kept us nice and cozy in the motorhome. The way I look at it, I'm paying for the electricity in the base rate, why use my own propane? When the temps drop much lower than the 40's, we usually use the propane. I have run the propane furnace AND the rear heat strip. With the ducted A/C, it seems to do a good job of distributing the heat throughout the rig.

I think they're worth it and I'm glad I have them.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

So, if I am understanding correctly, it's really just a heating element that relies on the existing fan, a switch to apply electric to a small resistance heat coil. The fan blows across and "heats" the air. Seems a rather small unit for ducted air. At best almost like a hair dryer.LP heat works fine. But uses LP, which I guess why nicer units have electric and LP heat. So, not worth the $60.00? I usually don’t camp in real cold weather but this seems cumbersome just to knock the chill off and would have to run the fan as long as it's on right? Then manually turn each off? Manually turn tham back on etc etc.

You may check but I believe that the heat strip is rated at 5600 btu. A typical 1500 watt small electric heater is rated at about 5100 btu's.
You can run the fan on low speed and it will take the chill off.

Effy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, maybe worth the $60 provided it has the wiring. A little unclear on one point. Does it use a seperate rotary switch or will it use my existing thermostat? Manually turning the fan and heat on and off is a dealbreaker, but if it can be wired to the stat I can't see any reason why not to fork up $60 for what in the long run would be free heat.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

So, maybe worth the $60 provided it has the wiring. A little unclear on one point. Does it use a seperate rotary switch or will it use my existing thermostat? Manually turning the fan and heat on and off is a dealbreaker, but if it can be wired to the stat I can't see any reason why not to fork up $60 for what in the long run would be free heat.

If you have the connector inside the unit to plug the heat strip in to, then the hook up should be straight forward usiing your existing thermostat. If your existing thermostat does not have a heat position, than I doubt if you have the heat strip connector inside your unit.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Adding electric heat??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.