RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long will 25 gallons of propane last in 40-70 degrees?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How long will 25 gallons of propane last in 40-70 degrees?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triker33 wrote:

Your 25 gal tank when full only has 20 gal of usable LP.

Yup.You don't get a full tank of propane when they fill it up.

When I was doing sporting events in the Midwest in "Fall" temps not winter. Using one furnace I blew thru a tank a weekend. Which was Friday night, all day Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday day. 31 ft coach.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ro646a wrote:

I know this is a difficult question to answer since there are so many variables, but I have no idea what to expect. I recently retired, so up until now all of our trips have been in the summer. We are about to head out to Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks. We will be using gas for heating, water heating and a little cooking.

We will be out sightseeing, etc. during the daytime. In the evening we will probably in the RV watching TV, etc. and will want to keep it warm enough to be comfortable.

We have two furnaces, one front and one back. Our tank size is 25 gallons. We use only gas for water heating, space heating and cooking. We will be staying in campgrounds with hookups, so we will be running the refrigerator on 120 volts AC.

The front furnace heats the front and the rear heats the bedroom and bath room. Obviously we will only turn on minimal heat in the rear at night for sleeping and leave it off in the daytime.

I'm guessing that we will have to refill every 3 to 4 days. Am I anywhere near correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roland

Week or two easy if you conserve, add a couple of good electric heaters and you could easily go for a month or more a lot more -- so as others have said get the electric heaters and be sure they have thermostats - they will pay for themselves on one trip.

We have spent a whole winter using electric heat and saved hundreds in fuel.On freezing nights either put on a good light in the basement or turn on the fan to circulated the electric heat to prevent the basement from freezing.

This time of year in the mountains is our favorite time to Camp -- Enjoy the trip.

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would assist the furnace with two 1500 watt oil filled heaters. Reasons? The surface temperature of the heaters are low; they often can be set for 600, 1000, or 1500 watts. Keep them far away from the furnace thermostat.

1500 watts translates to about 5000 btu's. I use three 1/2 size 462 watt oil filled heaters.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been keeping our coach at 72 ° for 6 days now, with 40° or so nights and some water heater use, running on a 30 lb (7 gal.) external cylinder. I expect it to run out sometime today, when I'll switch to the main 24 gallon tank while I get the portable cylinder refilled.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

hershey

Albuquerque,(fulltime) NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spend most all of our time in the temperatures you indicate. Our propane tank is 40 gallons and we fill it about once a year. Its seldom that we use our furnaces, mostly to make sure that they are working. Water heater is elec and most cooking involves the microwave or convection oven.
We use an electric heater as our primary source of heat and it works for us. Having said that, you have to know that electric heat won't heat the basement on any RV. So if temps drop a bit below freezing, you have to use the furnaces.

hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a class A with 2 furnaces. One heated the front. The other heated the bed, bath and basement area. Front did not heat basement area where utilities were.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Sinterior

Vernon BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read somewhere that the average RV furnace burns about a pound of propane per hour of burner use, not furnace fan time.
Also take into account that propane tanks are only filled to 80% capacity.

Robert78121

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get 7 to 8 months out of my propane full-timing, but I use space heaters and only run the water heater on gas. I've only full-timed in Texas and Northern California, so the weather has not been cold enough that my space heaters can't keep up.

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ro646a wrote:

I know this is a difficult question to answer since there are so many variables, but I have no idea what to expect. I recently retired, so up until now all of our trips have been in the summer. We are about to head out to Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks. We will be using gas for heating, water heating and a little cooking.

We will be out sightseeing, etc. during the daytime. In the evening we will probably in the RV watching TV, etc. and will want to keep it warm enough to be comfortable.

We have two furnaces, one front and one back. Our tank size is 25 gallons. We use only gas for water heating, space heating and cooking. We will be staying in campgrounds with hookups, so we will be running the refrigerator on 120 volts AC.

The front furnace heats the front and the rear heats the bedroom and bath room. Obviously we will only turn on minimal heat in the rear at night for sleeping and leave it off in the daytime.

I'm guessing that we will have to refill every 3 to 4 days. Am I anywhere near correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roland

As others have said, there are many variables but I am going to vote that you can easily go the whole trip in this area this time of year with two caveats:

1) The weather doesn't do anything unusual (like a week in the 20s at night which is possible but really rare this time of year)
2) You don't want to keep the inside like a sauna...*ie if you like inside temps at 85 then all bets are off [emoticon]

It does not get that cold at night here in October and the lowest temps each night will only be for an hour or so. If you are happy with keeping things at 65-70 degrees inside the furnace may only come on once or twice at night for a few minutes in normal October weather.

If you supplement with electric heat and water heater, you can go much longer..

On a trip last year with similiar temps I went 3 weeks on 3/4 of a 14 gallon tank. And that was without any electric heat or water-heating assist...all propane

* This post was edited 10/01/12 10:43am by johnwalkerpa1 *

mdprince

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Having full timed for several years I would guestimate atleast two weeks. As you said lots of variables.

I agree ! Especially at the 40 to 70 degree temps you mentioned. As others posted, get a couple of quartz type heaters (we had a taller one up front and a little square one in the back). If your water heater is the type that can use either gas or electricity - you might want to use shore power for it as well.

We did 10 days in 10 to 40 degree weather, and still had LP in the tank. YMMV

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How long will 25 gallons of propane last in 40-70 degrees?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.