RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The North Maine Woods & the Trains ( many pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The North Maine Woods & the Trains ( many pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have wanted to get up to the NMW around Moose Head Lake and the Golden Road for some time now . Finally the stars aligned and as luck would have it my youngest daughter had some time off . We have been camping partners since the days I carried her on day hikes in a back pack . Here we are about to leave for a four day jaunt .Notice how the guy's are impatient to get going .

[image]

[image]

DD 80lb puppy , Mason
My little girl Molly is not happy being left behind ( reg cab )

[image]

Heading north through Franconia Notch State Park just 15 miles north of home( the only 2 lane interstate )

[image]

[image]

Five hours later we crested the hill and were overlooking the town of Greenville ME at the southern tip of Moosehead Lake We stopped at the public pier and had a late lunch . Greenville is still a nice little town and not too spoiled by tourist yet .

[image]

[image]

From Greenville we traveled up the east side of Moosehead Lake till we hit the Golden Road which runs east to west from Millinocket to Quebec Ca . Most of these are private roads owned by the logging companies. ATV's , horses and motor cycles are prohibited , however there are some trails for ATV's
Took a left on the Golden Road to the Telos Road and headed north again . Baxter State park is now on our right to the east . Located a remote camp site on Harrington Lake using the Delorme Gazetteer , which was just before the checkpoint for the NMW . There is now a charge for the NMW , $10 day use and $10 camping , per person , a little steep for no facilities , but I was on a mission . The camp site had room for 5 or 6 but only one site was occupied . I was just about to get out and ask if they minded if we invaded their space when one of the old guy's yelled out " LET THE DOG OUT " , My DD said " I guess we found our campsite . It turned out that Sandy and Lou , 69 and 82 respectively , had been coming to this particular spot for 30 years and loved company . After having a bit to eat and walking Mason and letting him have a swim we came over to their campfire to , as Sandy said , swat flies and swop lies .

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The next morning we headed north again towards our mission .

[image]

[image]

We stopped at the Ranger Station at the beginning of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway on Telos Lake

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Now for the mission , find the trains . We had to find the spur roads that branched off the Telos Road

[image]

[image]

[image]

At this point we had to find a pull out as the branches were closing in fast . We walked less than 200 yards before the road disappeared . We found a foot path off to the left and tried that . About 1-1/2 miles in this is what we found .

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

All this old iron is on the shores of Eagle Lake which is part of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway . We spent most of the day here and enjoyed lunch and poking around . We were pleasantly surprised at how little graffiti and vandalism there was . The broken prop in the pic measured 32" .We decided to get outside the NMW boundary to camp to save the fees , plus quite frankly it doesn't look much different in the whole region . On the way out we had to wait for the loggers to take a break to get by . It was fascinating watching how efficient they worked .

[image]

Heading south to find a campsite we came across this .

[image]

[image]

[image]

Just outside the checkpoint we found a campsite on Caucomgomac Lake . It must have some good fishing as there were a dozen boats the locals had chained to trees . The only other camper there was a couple from Maine in a TC . Here we are having our truck talk , we had the same make and year .

[image]

Mason helping the leveling operation
[image]

What's next boss
[image]

[image]

[image]

The next morning we headed south , our next destination was the Pittston Farm on the west side of Seboomook Lake . When we hit the Golden Road again we headed west . One of our goals was to completely circumnavigate Moosehead Lake . The Pittston Farm is completely off the grid ,they generate their own power with diesel generators and solar . It is still a working farm , with guest accommodations , a public dining room and a campground . We really wanted to try their home made ice cream but somehow missed it .

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We were on a tight schedule so we had to move out . Next stop was the Birches Resort . Just something that was on the map and I wanted to check out . Looks like a nice get-a-way . There was a main lodge and dining room and a number of cottages . This is all set on the shores of Moosehead Lake .

[image]

[image]

[image]

Just below the Birches we came out to Route 6 in the town of Rockwood , our first pavement in 300 miles .

[image]

[image]

Heading south on 6 back to Greenvile to complete the circle . We stopped for a late lunch at the marina , AGAIN .
Mason was not happy with the duck teasing him. Several seaplanes were moored here .

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

After lunch we headed west out of town on the Katahdin iron works road . Our next stop tomorrow morning was to be Gulf Hagas , known also as the. Grand Cannon of Maine . Since this is another fee area run by AMC we opted to find a campsite before the gate so we would just pay for the day use . We found a spot on Rum Pond . The road must have been wiped out with last years flood because it was all new .

[image]

[image]

The boat access was a walk in , meaning you cannot drive to the pond . I have never seen so many boats tied to trees , they were spread out 100 feet in both directions .

[image]

[image]

[image]

We got an early start for the Gulf Hagas as we only had till noon before starting the long drive home . Unfortunately we didn't get to see much . We hiked in about 3 or 4 mile but did not see any of the cutoffs to access any of the falls or gorges . The maps they handed out were very poor and the trail was not marked . If we had more time I'm sure we could have found them . About a 100 yards in we had to cross the river .

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]( we were actually level but the camera wasn't )

So even though we were disappointed we had a nice walk on a beautiful morning . Continuing on we stopped at what is left of the Katahdin Iron Works .

[image]

[image]

[image]

These logging trucks are 10 ft. wide thus the many warnings to pull over and yield the right of way

[image]

And this is where many of them are headed .

[image]

[image]

Crossing back over into Gorham NH , I never get tired of the White Mountains and the Presidential Range .

[image]

[image]

Hope you all enjoyed the trip , we sure did . Since then my little Miss became a Mrs. , so it was especially meaningful for me .

Oh no , how politically incorrect is that statement [emoticon]

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice. We love Maine but haven't been in quite a few years. Hope you two are up to date on your tetanus shots climbing around on those cool old steam engines.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great!

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

GMCPU53

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for a great trip report. Super bunch of photos, and really liked the old locomotives and the story behind them.

Joe

2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report and I'm totally jealous of both the adventure and your nice Avion. Danged I'd like to have one of them someday!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool trip and enjoyed the trains and grown over trackage. Nice photos and congratulations to the new MRS!

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

lj2654

Weeki Wachee, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great trip and pics.....thanks for sharing them....

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Love it. Thats my kind of trip, nature mixed with some history. It amazes me what people left behind years ago. Thanks for sharing.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Photog101

Sparta, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for a super trip report. Very nice Avion sitting on the flat bed.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The North Maine Woods & the Trains ( many pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.