|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: Yosemite in the snow Nov 2012

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/12 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whew this trip almost didn't come off but I'm so glad it did. It's year end close for my wifes company and she is a senior tax manager, we pushed back the trip one week to give her some extra time if stuff needed to be done. We didn't know it was on until Friday afternoon and then it was my turn for all heck to break loose. We had so many tranports come up that my 5pm shift end turned into 8pm. We almost said the heck with it but I said heck whats 3 more hours behind the wheel at at 9:30 pm we headed out from Livermore to Yosemite. I thought we were through with the storms but noooo, somewhere out on 140 we went through some heavy rain squalls then we started to climb into the Sierras. At midpines the Temps dropped below 32 and we started running into icy patches as we dropped into the Merced River canyon I was glad to have on the fly 4wd. It really wasn't to bad until we were in Yosemite Valley itself but I just went slow and easy

[image]

We pulled into site 198 in upper pines at 1:20 am took the dogs for a walk and hit the sack, it was starry out and 25 degrees with just a light dusting of snow over some icy patches.

6:30am I was roused from a deep sleep by Jake my Aussie and his let me out before I give you a gift on the floor whine. Fleece pants check, Sorels check, fleece beanie check, heavy down jacket double check. Four leashes and four dogs so out we went.....Surprise it's white everywhere

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

There were a few other TC's near me, many more would show up later

[image]
[image]

Time for breakfast followed by a hike

[image]

The sun came up and suddenly we went from black and white to glorious colors

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

We decided to hike up to Mirror Lake and the base of Half Dome

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

On the way back we wandered off and took a trail that led us to the back side of the stables

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

and finally back to the TC for an early dinner and time to meet some of our neighbors
[image]

Right behind us were two identically equipped trucks with Real Lite Pop ups. The plates were from Quebec but the occupants were from Australia. They had dropped down the west coast and their next stop was Death Valley after Yosemite. I routed them back north to 88 past Kirkwood so that they could see Mono Lake, The Owens Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs and those magnificent eastern Sierra and White Mountain 14,000 footers.
[image]

The temps reallystarted to plunge so I fired up the Honda 2000 for an hour to top off the batteries, Cooked up some pasta and watched a few DVDs. When we took the Dogs for their last walk it was 20* and the stars and the clouds of the Milky way were just spectacular. This was the first time that I put on the insulated snap on vent covers and made sure I kept the cupboards open to allow heat to the water pipes. The last thing I did before turning in was fire up the water heater to keep it from freezing. We have refletix under our mattress and a two inch thick feather mat on top of it covered in flannel sheets topped with a 3" thick goose down comforter. I set the furnace for its lowest temperature setting. We were buttoned up and with four dogs and two adults we did run into a lot of condensation but we slept nice and warm. We had no issues with freezing pipes nor being cold in the Lance 1055 even though the temps were in the teens Saturday night

Some of the other TC's and sights in the campground

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

On Sunday we packed up and drove over to Yosemite Village, Hiked over to the Ahwahnee Hotel then up the lower Yosemite Falls trail and out to El Capitan Meadow before saying goodbye to the Valley

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Me and Ruth
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

The Detour around the slide on 140
[image]
the rock strata near the slide
[image]

home again doing some final house keeping
[image]

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Kathy

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are a better man than I Gunga Din, I have a hard time finding enough room in the TC camping with just two Cow Dogs, let alone four. Night in particular but I have gotten them used to sleeping at the sides of the bed instead of the middle.

Great pictures, we haven't been up there in winter for a long time, summer either for that matter. Many months of my youth spent hanging off those walls. The picture of Lost Arrow brought back some good times if scary.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raften wrote:

You are a better man than I Gunga Din, I have a hard time finding enough room in the TC camping with just two Cow Dogs, let alone four. Night in particular but I have gotten them used to sleeping at the sides of the bed instead of the middle.

Great pictures, we haven't been up there in winter for a long time, summer either for that matter. Many months of my youth spent hanging off those walls. The picture of Lost Arrow brought back some good times if scary.

we may know each other and we have probably shared some routes. me in the early 90s
[image]
[image]

PatrickA51

Lost Because I Followed My GPS

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and great report.
Thanks

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 12:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent adventure. Good for you folks.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Golden_HVAC

Fairview OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 01:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures!

It reminds me of my trip there in March 1 of 89, light snow on the ground, not enough to close the roads, or no ice on the roads. I think it was about 25 overnight. I had no furnace in that camper, but still was OK.

Today I would have fired up my 6000 Btu Olympic catalytic heater and been toasty warm, 400 watt solar system probably would not have been much use in that thick trees, but still i have 4 golf cart batteries for a few nights dry camping that I did there in my motorhome in 2000.

Glad that you had a lot of fun, and took some really great pictures! The valley is much warmer than the surrounding mountains, only about 2300' elevation.

I recall Bridalveil had a lot of snow being produced from the 20's air and falling mist!

Fred.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 02:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome colors, very beautiful, thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/12 03:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden HVAC wrote:

Great pictures!

It reminds me of my trip there in March 1 of 89, light snow on the ground, not enough to close the roads, or no ice on the roads. I think it was about 25 overnight. I had no furnace in that camper, but still was OK.

I went through in 2002 from memory.Scenery a bit more picturesque than when I went through it. Yes Great Pictures

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A surprise light dusting always makes for a wonderful trip and unique pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: Yosemite in the snow Nov 2012
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.