|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper jack foot extension

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atwood makes camper specific jacks and camper specific jack foot extensions (with a round base plate). I have been able to find the rectangular foot extensions that Atwood makes for trailer and tongue jacks but not the round ones that they also make for use with their camper jacks.

With my 4WD camper the standard jacks do not provide enough lift and I resort to using multiple boards to add high. I would prefer to add the 8" extensions and not need the lumber. Any know the part number or a source for these Atwood camper jack extensions?

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was you, I would stick with the boards, and put a pocket in the top one to hold the jack leg. I would also make sure your boards have some sort of interlock, even a cleated rubber mat, so that they can't slip. Be sure they are level when you put the jack leg on them.

I find it's pretty scary to go out to full extension, and I can't imagine going even further with a leg extension.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are shown and listed on Atwood site but no p/n?http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/chassis/MPD%2085920%20SP%2012.04.07.pdf
I didnt see them for sale...You might contact Atwood see if they are still produced?
Oh and they are 6"

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PDF was what I found and realized that Atwood has made an extension for the camper jacks. Easy to locate the ones for trailer jacks and tongue jacks. Did not think it would be such a hard item to find. Hoping not to have to get out the hacksaw and welder but it would not be the first time with my camper.

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have to get the hacksaw out anyway...

<$20 in steel to fab...

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run mine up full extension and they're pretty wobbly. From an engineering standpoint, 6" more extension plus an additional pivot point is not good for stability.

Rather than run mine all the way up, I use 4.5" of blocking under each jack, and the rig is much more stable.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am using wood blocks as I mentioned but want a better solution and I am not alone or Atwood would not be making extensions. The Atwood jacks are designed for the average height of a truck bed above the ground. With my 2011 4WD truck they are simply too short.

The problem is not with the steel to make my own so much as finding the right dimension tubing which is always a problem. The tubes for the extension need an outside diameter that is a close fit for the inside diameter of the existing jack tubes and anyone who has actually done any metal fabrication knows that there is seldom a good match between the ID and OD of commonly stocked metal tubing or pipes.

As for $20 you evidently have not bought steel pipe lately. A separate problem is welding steel after it has been galvanized. I only do the fab work as a last resort as when I made the under the camper steel rack for a second battery and an aluminum roof rack for mounting two solar panels.

As for the wobble I plan to install two Wobbl-Stoprs from Torklift but that is a completely separate problem from needing 4" more height out of the Atwood jacks.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well yes you need to wack off the foot--these if still available arent welded on and can be removed. Uses an inner support tube and the 'foot' over top. In this case using extensions jacks would not be at max travel, might be more stable than using blocks, especially if stacking? Id call Atwood
Mark

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

I am using wood blocks as I mentioned but want a better solution and I am not alone or Atwood would not be making extensions.

Since nobody can find a part number for these extensions or any mention of them anywhere aside from this 2007 PDF install guide, you're assumption that Atwood is "making extensions" appears to be incorrect.

It appears that Atwood MADE extensions, as in past tense.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lance was able to get Atwood to respond and will be special ordering the jack foot extensions from Atwood. Cost is $23 each which is a lot less expensive then any viable alternative.

As they use a through bolt for attachment it is easier for a subsequent owner with a shorter truck to put the hole closer to the foot and shorten the jacks should they choose to do so.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper jack foot extension
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS