Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Any wet bath shower mods?

Posted By: TheLesserest on 01/29/13 09:04pm

Hello everyone, I've been following this forum since I was young and now all grown up, the DW and I are doing homework on the camper we need. She would like a dry bath - I would like a wet bath to keep weight down as we are going to be one day no doubt pulling horses also. She thought if somehow there was a way to cover the toilet and sink area while showering, it would be more sanitary. Don't ask me why but fixing this 'wet' bath problem would convince the purchase of a wet bath.

So are there any mods that people have done to keep there wet baths semi dry? Or any seat covers for the toilet? I could see easily maybe putting a curtain rod to block of the toilet and the sink. I'm looking for pictures if any to get ideas! Thank you!

Posted By: old guy on 01/29/13 10:11pm

put in a vent fan, a good vent fan, not one of those little things but a fantastic fan

Posted By: GWolfe on 01/29/13 10:31pm

I always thought the wet bath meant the toilet would get cleaned every time you took a shower. [emoticon]

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado

Posted By: Camp, Forrest, Camp! on 01/29/13 10:44pm

I don't have any suggestions other than a shower curtain for your issue, but I can provide some pros for a wet bath.

We like our wet bath for three reasons:

1) The shower space is larger because you are using the entire bathroom.
2) The bathroom footprint is smaller so you get more counter space.
3) It's always clean!

Note: We shower at night and squeegee the walls and floor when we are done. By morning it is dry and sparkling clean.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Posted By: Reddog1 on 01/29/13 10:44pm

GWolfe wrote:

I always thought the wet bath meant the toilet would get cleaned every time you took a shower. [emoticon]

That if my way of thinking. After we shower and dry off, we use the towel to wipe down the entire bath. The towel is hung to dry, then put in the dirty clothes. Much easier to clean the wet bath, hose it down with the shower wand.

Posted By: Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli on 01/29/13 11:27pm

TheLesserest wrote:

Hello everyone, I've been following this forum since I was young and now all grown up, the DW and I are doing homework on the camper we need. She would like a dry bath - I would like a wet bath to keep weight down as we are going to be one day no doubt pulling horses also. She thought if somehow there was a way to cover the toilet and sink area while showering, it would be more sanitary. Don't ask me why but fixing this 'wet' bath problem would convince the purchase of a wet bath.

So are there any mods that people have done to keep there wet baths semi dry? Or any seat covers for the toilet? I could see easily maybe putting a curtain rod to block of the toilet and the sink. I'm looking for pictures if any to get ideas! Thank you!

A truck camper is all about compromise and the bath is no exception. We have decided the wet bath is better for us. I like having additional cabinet and counter space. For functionality of the wet bath. I like to turn on the furnace and open the ceiling vent while showering. I stay warmer and the TC is warm when I get out of the shower. The entire bathroom is cleaned and rinsed each time you use it so it's far cleaner than a dry bath. I find the bathroom dries up fairly quickly after a shower. Leave the toilet lid down and you will have a dry seat. Lift it up and it will be rinsed. Open the flush gate and you may receive a treat you not forget for a while if the fan is exhausting. The furnace blowing creates positive pressure so less likely to get the airomatic treat if connected to sewar.
All in all the wet bath has the most benefit in my book but you might read a different book. If you do not already have a TC, you have the luxury of looking around. A favorite bath is the S&S 9.6 wet bath because it is very roomy and well designed. It is the season for RV shows so go look and ask. Remember, sales people are there to sell. [emoticon]

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Posted By: covered wagon on 01/29/13 11:28pm

Shower curtains and a big vent fan is a problem. The curtain will always be getting in the way when your wet and the vent will make sure of that too. I like a little exhaust fan to just suck out the moist air not the curtain along with it.

Posted By: Mello Mike on 01/30/13 07:18am

We love having a wet bath. It's always clean and easy to take care of. Just make sure you get a good squeegee and dry off any areas you can't get to with a towel. I like Camp,Forest, Camp's idea of showering at night before bed to ensure it's dry by morning.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Posted By: Hodag1 on 01/30/13 07:22am

covered wagon,
try a shower curtain that is weighted on the bottom

Posted By: covered wagon on 01/30/13 07:56am

Hodag1 wrote:

covered wagon,
try a shower curtain that is weighted on the bottom

Thank you, I do have the fabric curtain that helps but forgot about the weights.

Posted By: Butch50 on 01/30/13 08:19am

My 2012 Northern Lite has a curved track attached to the ceiling. So when I pull the shower curtain closed it goes around the toilet and keeps it dry and the only areas that get wet is the sink area. This also gives a place for a towel bar in the bathroom. It is on the wall next to the toilet so the towels stay dry while you are showering. To keep the shower curtain from clinging to you first open the vent outside of the bathroom and turn the fan on low. Then when you go into take your shower leave the door way slightly open and open your bathroom vent but don't tun on the fan. This creates a flow from the bath vent to the vent in the camper and keeps the curtain away from you.

For us we wouldn't have anything but a wet bath. We only use it for a small amount of time each day and we would rather have the most room where we spend the most time. This is IMO

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

Posted By: mooring product on 01/30/13 09:24am

I hated the dry bath in my old TC. I was always fighting with a curtain or water would get all over the counter.

Our new wet shower is much easier to use and keep clean.

Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Posted By: billtex on 01/30/13 09:30am

We use a "quick dry" shower curtain and drape it over the toilet...this helps.
(QD curtain from Home Depot IIRC)

We keep a chamois for a quick wipe after...

That and running the exhaust fan a few minutes really dries things up quickly.

The wet-bath has been a non issue for us and works quite well.

B

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: gitpicker2009 on 01/30/13 09:57am

I don't have any suggestions other than a shower curtain for your issue, but I can provide some pros for a wet bath.

3) It's always clean!

Note: We shower at night and squeegee the walls and floor when we are done. By morning it is dry and sparkling clean.

x2

I don't see the benefit of keeping the toilet away from the shower, but if she really wants to, a cheap fix would be to just slip a plastic bag over the toilet.
Problemo solved.

anthony

Posted By: kerry4951 on 01/30/13 10:16am

We keep a ton of stuff inside our dry bath cabinets. You loose that with a wet bath. I always felt that whatever storage space that you gain outside the wet bath area would be used up storing all the toiletries, towels, wash cloths, etc, etc, etc. When we downsized from a large motorhome to a TC, I knew my wife would want the dry bath so thats what we got. We do not regret it. I myself could go with either one, but you how important it is to keep the DW happy.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Posted By: MTRhino on 01/30/13 10:24am

There is another solution, and that is to use the outside shower. In the warm summer months we carry a shower shelter we got at cabelas (nothing more than a tall square tent), set it up next to the outside shower and keep our wet bath dry.

Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = ">

Posted By: mkirsch on 01/31/13 12:32pm

It's not like you're pooping in the shower pan, and standing *IN* the toilet bowl when you shower.

I really don't get the sink thing at all. Some people think you need to burn the whole house down if you wash your hands in the kitchen sink.

How is it unsanitary if you clean it?

I'd hate to give her a complex, but the "dry" bathroom at home is way more "unsanitary" than the wet bath in a camper, because you can't just hose everything down at home!

Don't tell her. I don't want to be responsible for you waking up in the middle of the night to find her sobbing on the floor in the bathroom, with knuckles bleeding from all the scrubbing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Posted By: msiminoff on 01/31/13 01:11pm

TheLesserest wrote:

So are there any mods that people have done to keep there wet baths semi dry? Or any seat covers for the toilet?

I sewed up a simple cover (photo below) for the toilet from a piece of vinyl and some coated ripstop nylon. I don't think it does anything to make the room "more sanitary", but it does save me a minute or two of effort wiping down the wet toilet... which also means that I don't make a towel "dirty"** in the process.
When not in use the cover hangs on a hook in the corner of the room.
As others have suggested, I have a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom. After using the shower I give the walls a quick wipe and let the fan do the rest.
Cheers,
-Mark
[image]

**I practice good hygene and keep the bathroom clean. But don't personally subscribe to the notion that bathrooms or the exterior surfaces of toilets are "dirty" and honestly the one in my TC is probably cleaner than my bathroom at home.

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Posted By: Less Stuff on 01/31/13 02:57pm

Buy one of these at any auto parts store.
Then wipe down the bathroom and toilet after showering, rinse and squeeze Absorber then put back in it's container damp. Presto your bathroom is clean dry and ready. Your Absorber is ready as well.
It's worked for us the last 9 years.

[image]

Truck Camper bathrooms are too big when not in use and too small when in use.
Wet baths help with this problem.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Posted By: Reddog1 on 01/31/13 03:12pm

msiminoff wrote:

... which also means that I don't make a towel "dirty"** in the process. ...

The devil is making me ask this. How many times do you dry off with a towel after a shower before it gets "dirty"? I assume you dry your entire body. [emoticon]

When I dry off, I eventually stand on the towel, to dry my feet. I do that before I exit the bath.

Wayne

Posted By: splinter7 on 01/31/13 06:31pm

I'll try not to be redundant, but here's how we've survived in our wet bath during some extensive travel over the last seven years. And there's nothing about fans.

We bought a plastic sink liner that you'd normally use in a sink where you do dishes (it has square holes in it.). Use this on the floor of the bathroom over the drain. It helps protect the floor when wearing shoes. Take it out of the shower when you use it.

We keep a plastic pitcher in the bathroom to catch as much water as possible when regulating the shower. If it's warm enough, we use it to rinse, if not, we rinse the toilet with it. Water's precious!

After your shower, squeegee as much water as possible from the walls and floor. Use a paper towel for the last of the water and to wipe off toilet. Return the sink mat to the floor - this will keep your socks dry from that little bit of water that will drain down.

There should be a space on one of the walls that stays dry in the shower. I used a mesh fabric to make a "shoe bag" style wall hanging of pockets. Using velcro I adfixed it to the "dry wall". The pockets hold all sorts of tioletries.

Because of space we carry one towel each (white to fill up our beachable laudry load). You are drying off clean water. We use half a regular floor bath mat for our feet, whic we leave right outside the bathroom door when we shower.

And if the campground has a nice clean shower - we use it.

The toilet cover was cute, but something else to dry and carry.

Sue & Don
Sheena - the cross-eyed wonder cat

2008 Ford Lariat F350 SRW diesel 4x4
2013 Arctic Fox 865

Posted By: msiminoff on 01/31/13 07:06pm

Reddog1 wrote:

How many times do you dry off with a towel after a shower before it gets "dirty"? I assume you dry your entire body. [emoticon]

I have some small white "Terry Towel" rags (from Costco) that I use for cleaning, which includes the ALL of the bathroom surfaces... Once I have used one to clean the toilet one time it goes (after drying outside on the ladder rung) into the dirty laundry. By keeping the waterproof fabric cover on the toilet while showering I don't need to wipe it down and therefore don't "dirty" one of these rags, which are in limited supply given the TC's tiny linen closet.

Since we're on the topic of wet bath shower mods; Every member of my family-of-4 has their own color bath & hand towels, and each has their own hook in the bathroom to hang them from. My DW has sewn a little webbing loop onto all our towels to make them easy to hang up. The airflow from the Fantastic Fan helps the towels dry quickly too... even in wet weather [emoticon] I'll also add that we only use cleaning products from Biokleen which are safe for my family, the environment, and beneficial in the grey and black tanks.

I do not use the same towel that I dry my body with to clean the toilet and I hope that is not what you were insinuating. I also do not stand on my towel... I have a bath mat for that purpose.

To answer your question, Wayne; I will typically use a bath towel 3 or 4 times before laundering it. And you?

-Mark
[image]

[image]

Posted By: Reddog1 on 01/31/13 07:55pm

msiminoff wrote:

... I do not use the same towel that I dry my body with to clean the toilet and I hope that is not what you were insinuating.

I shower with the lid of the toilet down. After drying myself, standing on the shower floor, I will put the towel on the floor. I consider the towel dirty after drying myself, before putting it on the floor of the shower pan. I will dry my feet, and using my feet, dry the shower floor. I will then pick up the towel, and dry the bath walls, sink, and outside of the toilet. Not clean the inside of the toilet, but dry the outside.

msiminoff wrote:

I also do not stand on my towel... I have a bath mat for that purpose.

I do not leave my mat on the shower floor while showering.

msiminoff wrote:

To answer your question, Wayne; I will typically use a bath towel 3 or 4 times before laundering it. And you? ...

I only use my bath towel once, then into the laundry it goes.

Wayne

Posted By: TheLesserest on 01/31/13 09:12pm

Thank you everyone so far for all the great points of a wet bath and the mods that you have. Even some that have explained exactly how the whole drying process would work with wiping down the walls. I've never experienced a wet bath yet as my parents had a 5th wheel, so showering was an ease, and by the sounds of it, a wet bath will be also compared to the dry. Pros and cons to both.

Posted By: bobndot on 01/31/13 09:38pm

GWolfe wrote:

open the lid , place feet inside bowl , do the merengue . It must be true , people do it .

Posted By: ggadwa on 02/01/13 09:32am

Here's a Shower Mod I did and really thought was worth it.
Have you ever noticed that when you take a NAVY Shower..That is wet down, Turn off water, Soap up and then Turn on water to rinse and you get an rush of Exhilarating cold water before the nice warm water for your rinse.

I installed Sharkbite 1/2 inch Check Valves in the Hot and Cold PEX water lines just below the bathroom sink. Now the Pressure from the Cold water line doesn't try to equalize in the shower head and send a rush of cold water on to you. Sharkbite fittings are so very simple to install..it just takes seconds after to cut the PEX and debur the cuts.

We like our evening showers and our Oxygenics water saver shower head even more now.

GARY

HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

Posted By: Mello Mike on 02/25/13 01:50pm

ggadwa wrote:

Here's a Shower Mod I did and really thought was worth it.
Have you ever noticed that when you take a NAVY Shower..That is wet down, Turn off water, Soap up and then Turn on water to rinse and you get an rush of Exhilarating cold water before the nice warm water for your rinse.

I installed Sharkbite 1/2 inch Check Valves in the Hot and Cold PEX water lines just below the bathroom sink. Now the Pressure from the Cold water line doesn't try to equalize in the shower head and send a rush of cold water on to you. Sharkbite fittings are so very simple to install..it just takes seconds after to cut the PEX and debur the cuts.

We like our evening showers and our Oxygenics water saver shower head even more now.

GARY

Great ideas!! I hate that cold water rush when showering.

Posted By: campn4walleye on 02/25/13 03:11pm

We have a wet bath in our TC and I was concerned about the same issue while researching. As it turns out, it's no problem at all.

After showering, we wipe it down with a large absorbant microfiber towel. It takes all of 3 minutes. It cost $5 in the car care section of K Mart. You can get them anywhere though.

They dry quickly and work great.

The only problem at first, was forgetting to cover the TP.[emoticon]

2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Posted By: iwon415 on 02/25/13 03:59pm

What I did not read mentioned - Our shower curtain goes in front of the toilet, so the toilet seat, or the wooden door to bathroom, don't get wet at all. My wife showed me the correct way to place the shower curtain, perhaps other people haven't figured it out either.

She had to show me the first time...

Posted By: ggadwa on 02/25/13 04:51pm

[image]
Stopping the Rush of Cold Water when you turn the Shower back on after soaping up is solved by simply putting these Shark Bite Check Valves in the Bathroom Sink line before the Shower Diverter. On the Eagle Cap 950 it required working through the TP holder access hole.

GARY

Posted By: Nemo667 on 02/25/13 05:39pm

Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:

3) It's always clean!

X3

We put a cut off piece of shower curtain over the toilet (about 3' x3'). The teak grates mean we don't have to worry about the floor. We hang the the toilet cover with the tie for the shower curtain to dry, wipe the sides and teak grates with a paper towel and we are done. keeps the seat an your feet dry.

...sorry about the blurry picture

[image]

[image]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Posted By: Buzzcut1 on 02/25/13 07:34pm

ahhh towels....Dry bath here. I took two towels for a ten day trip for two people. I can't remember if we washed them or not, At home its once a week for washing my bath towel.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Posted By: Reddog1 on 02/26/13 10:19am

I don't quite understand the need for the check valves. I do not have a surge of hot or cold water. I wonder if it is because I have a 2-gallon accumulator tank?

My shower head is connected to the sink faucet, which has about of water line to the water heater. When I turn the hot water on, it is almost instant, and is instant if the water heater has been on for an hour or more.

My bath/shower is a one piece molded unit. The toilet sits on about a 10-inch pedestal. There is nothing on the floor other than the shower drain. I prefer nothing on the floor when I shower, but do use a shower mat for non-shower use. I use the mat to prevent wear on the floor and to catch the sand and grit/dirt tracked in during toilet use. This prevents the sand and grit/dirt from going in the gray holding tank.

I have experimented with the shower curtain and fan. I have a Surflow with variable speed, forward and reverse. With shower curtain opened, the fan on, and blowing out of the vent, it will pull the curtain away from the wall and against me. If I reverse the fan, pull air in the vent, the air pushes the curtain against the walls, away from me. The fan needs only to be barely moving air.

My shower curtain allows me to cover the door only. I have found, I can shower without using the curtain, and not get water on the door, but I must pay attention to the direction I point the shower head. I do not leave my shower head hung on the wall when showering. I take it off the wall to wet down, back on the wall to soap up, and off to I rinse.

Wayne

Posted By: mkirsch on 02/26/13 10:39am

I don't get the rush of cold water either, but that's because I set the water heater on its lowest setting, and only open the hot tap for a shower. Water comes out at a nice warm shower temperature.

Posted By: ggadwa on 02/26/13 02:09pm

If you have an accumulator tank you will have equalized pressure and likely would not see a rush of hot or cold water. If the water pump is on and the pump tries to equalize pressure to the faucet when you have a trickle flowing out the shower nozzle that is when the Cold is likely to win out over the Hot water. At least that is what happens in my Eagle Cap wet bath shower.
I have an Oxygenics Water Saver Shower head with a slow flow position but not an OFF position. Previously when I would turn the nozzle to flow at the previous hot and cold mix setting...the pressure from the Cold side would be greater and I would get a ZAP of cold water. With the Check Valves in place the water pressure is maintained and the Cold Rush is GONE....

Has anyone else witnessed this scenario???? Or is it just me????

GARY

Posted By: Reddog1 on 02/26/13 02:17pm

My shower head has an off position.

Posted By: redink on 02/25/13 09:33pm

I second the grates for the bottom of the shower. I can't stand showering in sand or doing my "paper work" with my feet in the sand. Actually for doing "paper work" my feet dangled and the wooden grates helped level things out.

I am 6' and did loose a tad bit of headroom while showering it is well worth the payoff. I bought the folding one from the place you have to pay to be a member to get the discount, and found that the hinges quickly start rusting and rubbing on the floor. Since I did not need the folding funtion I took the hinges off and put some long screws through it to hold it in place.

2012 Lance 825 on a 2008 Ford F-250 Diesel with Rancho 9000's, Fast Guns, Stableload Quick Disconnects for lowers and homemade Bumbers for the uppers, TokLift Tie Downs

Print  |  Close