RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Cabover window glass replacment?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cabover window glass replacment?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to replace the glass in our cabover front window.

Just finished some work on the camper-Margaret had bought a new bedspread for it so while she was out I decided to put it in for her. I pulled the curtains open to get more light..whaaat is that?.

[image]
Good greif-at first I thought it was a bug trail or something as it JUST started raining-but realized it was cracked. Verticaly from top to bottmom with several horizontal branches.. Got a ladder none appear outside so I gather its laminated glass. You can feel the cracks inside. Fortunantly not leaking. No indication outside, chips etc of being hit-no idea how or when it broke as curtain is never fully opened, its not visible outside.

I briefly looked at replacement costs-dual pane would be nice on the nose but that quickly became a non option. Wonder why you'd powder coat white a solid gold frame. I assume gold-otherwise why so expensive?

At anyrate anyone ever have glass replaced? I assume I'd take window out-have new glass put in, reinstall. Matching the 'black' laminate glass seems might be hard to match-regular tint would be ok.
Never had rv window out but seems frame is pulled tight from interior frame screws-window goes outwards?
Ive noted before on ours it has another u channel in frame that might allow an addtional glass to be inserted, convert it to dual pane?

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to replace broken front glass on a previous camper. Easy job if you are handy with tools.

I disassembled, cut a pattern and took it to a local glass shop who cut it to size and sent it out to temper it. Reinstall with new putty and it was good as new.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I correct on the dissasembly- its just the interior frame screws that sandwich the frame?
Tempered?
Mark

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forget exactly how mine was. I know there were the interior fasteners, but something sorta' reminds me that there was something something on the outside. (But I could be mixing up my windows 'cause I had to replace a side window as well as a front slider- the one under the cabover.)

...but when you disassemble it, it will tall you how to proceed. Don't worry too much since the glass is already broken... it is the reassembly on which you need to be more careful. And when you do reassemble, have a helper on the outside while you work inside just to make sure the glass does not push out.

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i am wondering,if you remove the glass from the front cabover aluminum window frame,what do you use to reseal it to the frame?mine was leaking there,not between the window frame and fiberglass nose cap.

1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I resealed mine with butyl tape putty which "oozed" a seal around the frame when tightening the frame. I kept trimming it as it oozed for the next 2 weeks or so and then used Geocel over it once it stopped squeezing out. (I hope that description made sense of the procedure.)

On edit:
What I describe was on a Northstar camper. This is the only brand for the four TC's I have owned... I think that the frames would be similar on other brands, but I am not positive on that.

Oh, and yes... you want tempered. If it should break again, it will not part into larger shards but rather smaller "pebble-like" pieces.

* This post was edited 02/19/13 09:17pm by d3500ram *

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv- I just looked at your website and noticed that you have the one-piece larger glass in the front OH cabover. Mine had the 2 smaller windows up front. Because of this I chose to replace the broke glass with same. But I considered replacing it with some other non-glass item but thought it would look strange unless I changed out the other side as well.

Perhaps you might want to consider some other alternative item?? I do not know what the best alternative to glass would be, but it would be an option such that you would not have to replace again in the future should damage occur again.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya that suckers 4 1/2 feet across-I was thinking on the inside of possibly using plexiglass to make isolation barrier. That would be really nice. That window 'makes' water.
Because its laminated i was thinking automotive glass on the outside. Ill stop by local glass shop-thier pretty good folk- I recently did 2 identicle windows in the house. Took the slider to them cause i couldnt figure out frame-he told me how to remove, get dims on second one, was a 1/4 the cost. So the template a good idea. Need extended break in the weather.

IF I were redoing the nose I could easily see just deleteing window, or maybe a much smaller window-say the 12" thats between the pillows and curtains that actually open/visible.

Ours both nose an pass thru have sometype of black mastic on external frame. Butyl tape seems it would work, stays pliable. Id have to look-seems like ours may use a rubber seal on the glass.
Eager to get it out and fixed-curious to see how it works.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

... That window 'makes' water. ...

Is it leaking due to the broken glass? Maybe apply some sort of thick brush-on type of water proofing??? It may look ugly until a better fix is accomplished, but it might keep out water... and hey, the glass already needs to be replaced, so any application is just temporary.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh no, its not leaking- its just the angle and condensation-always has. Least bit of temp differance and its sweating. why Id like to insulate it since I need to remove.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cabover window glass replacment?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS