|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Mighty Hauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wingerphil

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/13 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is a little late but wanted to add our experience with Mighty Hauler. Purchased one in December 2012, had it mounted to our 36' DP Class A at their "factory". Company appears to be one guy who has his Dad help him with the installs. Loaded the bike up (Harley full dresser) and headed south Christmas day. Tried to unload it in Alabama and the lift would not go down, called Mighty Hauler and talked to "Dad" he said shake it back and forth really hard and it should work. That worked but I had to shake it really violently.
Loaded up after a week and drove to our final destination in Texas, same story unloading it, had to shake it hard to get it to go down. A couple of weeks ago loaded bike for trip back North, went 200 miles and found bike and lift leaning away from back of motor home and found the structural steel plates had a 1" tear in them. The tears appeared to be caused by the bouncing on the highway and the lift/motorcycle and toad were about fall off! Called Mighty Hauler and they wanted pictures but offered no assistance. I rented a U-haul trailer and towed the bike home while DW followed in the toad. Returned the lift and demanded our $$ back, they did return the price of the lift plus tax but refused to refund the money we paid them for their labor to install this piece of junk (over $800.00). They finally (reluctantly) refunded the cost of the u-haul trailer but flat refused to assist with the extra costs the failure of their lift caused us.
Our bike weighs under 850 lbs and our toad weighs less than 5,000 lbs so we were well under the advertised capacity of the lift which is up to 1,000 lb motorcycle while towing up to 6,000 lbs.

Hopefully I am not too late to warn you about this product. The lift is NOT what it is advertised to be and the company is a rip off. This is all my opinion of course but is based on some very scary facts.

Phil

Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

PDDGM

Lake Ozark, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/13 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Phil. I found them to be very rude and would not answer any questions concerning customer complaints, etc. I have a gas rig and decided that I didn't want to take the chance of damaging my frame, etc. I just got a feeling from talking to them that I was dealing with a unsafe product.

Joe

Joe
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
2010 Kia Soul
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Tow Dolly with motorcycle carrier

wingerphil

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/13 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds like you are making a well informed decision Joe. The problem I could see on their lift was they used 1/4" steel plates at the point where the most stress was applied by the bike and lift bouncing from hitting bumps on the highway which are the plates that tore. I asked why they didn't use heavier material like they did in the rest of lift and was told "1/4 inch is all that would fit there". Wish I had noticed this before I invested in it but now all I can do is pass the word.

Good luck on your decision, we have switched to a cargo trailer with DW following in the former toad.

Safe travels,

Phil

TXDego

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/13 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe, Sounds like you have it all figured out. I use a TrailerToad behind our GAS MH, and it works awesome.

For me, I did not want to worry about if I was or was not overloading chassis, etc. With the TrailerToad, you just hook up whatever you want(up to 17,000 lbs) and hit the road. This would give you the option of getting a trailer that will work for all your needs and not have to worry about any weight issues.

Good Luck!

PDDGM

Lake Ozark, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/13 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I modified a tow dolly to carry my motorcycle and pull the Kia Soul on, I won't know for sure if it works, until I get to Missouri next week to pick up my bike, but don't have any worries that it won't. We sleeved the tongue with steel tubing, etc. I just couldn't get over the feeling of non-belief in their own product I was getting from mightyhauler.

PDDGM

Lake Ozark, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/13 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXDego wrote:

Joe, Sounds like you have it all figured out. I use a TrailerToad behind our GAS MH, and it works awesome.

For me, I did not want to worry about if I was or was not overloading chassis, etc. With the TrailerToad, you just hook up whatever you want(up to 17,000 lbs) and hit the road. This would give you the option of getting a trailer that will work for all your needs and not have to worry about any weight issues.

Good Luck!

That is interesting, I read the article, etc. My concern about the trailertoad would be, on the east coast. Almost every state that touches the ocean does not allow triple towing, and I wonder if they would count it as a trailer instead of what it is.

Joe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Mighty Hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS