|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Balancing TT tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always balance tires. Having them out of balance will only make the wheel bounce more, causing wear to everything involved.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you balance make sure it is lug centric.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If your hubs/drums have never been checked for balance, it is a wasted effort to balance trailer tires. I have never seen a drum that was in balance on any trailer that I have ever owned. My current TT has up to 5.5 oz. of weight to bring just the drum into balance.

I balance the tire, wheel and drum as an assembly. Doing it any other way may even make it worse if you happen to have the heavy spots opposite each other.

X2.
My truck tire dealer would only balanced a tire while still mounted on the trailer with the old spin balance machine. However balance will only work with the wheel in that position. Take the wheel off and rotate one lug hole and the balance is gone.

I've seen him convince several new customers what happens when he balances a tire on his Hunter balance machine and then mount it on a trailer. It vibrates in any lug position.

A 26" long trailer leaf springs make a super HD damper for out of balance issues with 2k-3k sitting on the tire. Our trucks springs are 72"-76" long.

And its rare a stamped trailer wheel lugs are concentric to the wheels tire seat flange. Machined aluminum wheels are a better bet for being concentric. Which is just another reason some experienced tire dealers will only spin balance the tires on the trailer.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to say first that my TT tires are balanced.
Second, I won't pay extra for it as it is a waste of money.

A long time ago when money was real tight a tire shop told me that the used tires I was contemplating didn't need to be balanced if they were mounted on the solid rear axle. That any out of balance condition would not likely be noticeable when on a non steering axle.
I found that he was right.
I ran several sets that way. I now balance my car tires, only because it makes rotating them possible. A couple of times I have had a tire lose its weight. The shaking wass terrible. But in each case it was a front tire. I would assume that a independant rear suspension would need the tires balanced for the same reason as fronts.

So since TT tires are on solid non steering axles,,,,,there really is little to no benefit.

In fact, unless you stand and watch them do it, I would bet that most tire shops do NOT use a lug centric plate..Most of the time when I have it done, they have to go get one from another location...And yes I have caught them trying to do it with a hub centric plate...Which is a total waste of time and can easily make it worse.

The small amount of tread life that can be gained is irrealavent as most TT tires are replaced due to age long before the tread is worn out.

When buying tires, I cut my best deal without balancing, playing different shops agaist one another...

When the best deal appears, I act hessitant....Then say ummm OK if you throw in the balancing..They always say yes.
Then after the deal is done, I tell them about the lug plate.

Sometimes they try to talk me out of it..I hold firm.and get what I want.

Now it may have something to do with the fact that I spend 1200-1500 on TT tires. And after the sale is made they don't want to give it back over a balancing issue.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I want to say first that my TT tires are balanced.
Second, I won't pay extra for it as it is a waste of money.

A long time ago when money was real tight a tire shop told me that the used tires I was contemplating didn't need to be balanced if they were mounted on the solid rear axle. That any out of balance condition would not likely be noticeable when on a non steering axle.
I found that he was right.
I ran several sets that way. I now balance my car tires, only because it makes rotating them possible. A couple of times I have had a tire lose its weight. The shaking wass terrible. But in each case it was a front tire. I would assume that a independant rear suspension would need the tires balanced for the same reason as fronts.

So since TT tires are on solid non steering axles,,,,,there really is little to no benefit.

In fact, unless you stand and watch them do it, I would bet that most tire shops do NOT use a lug centric plate..Most of the time when I have it done, they have to go get one from another location...And yes I have caught them trying to do it with a hub centric plate...Which is a total waste of time and can easily make it worse.

The small amount of tread life that can be gained is irrealavent as most TT tires are replaced due to age long before the tread is worn out.

When buying tires, I cut my best deal without balancing, playing different shops agaist one another...

When the best deal appears, I act hessitant....Then say ummm OK if you throw in the balancing..They always say yes.
Then after the deal is done, I tell them about the lug plate.

Sometimes they try to talk me out of it..I hold firm.and get what I want.

Now it may have something to do with the fact that I spend 1200-1500 on TT tires. And after the sale is made they don't want to give it back over a balancing issue.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it. If it's free I get it done. If not, no big deal.

If your trailer dose not have shocks, it will make no difference in wear or bounce. If it does, it will make a VERY slight difference in wear.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

I always have mine balanced, however I've never seen a trailer mfg that balances tires.

Why balance??

Not in an priority order:

three: An out of balance tire gets the belts hammered every rotation. many tire mfg claim that a leading cause of belt failure and seperation is not having the tires balanced.

Unfortunetly balancing the tires won't completely balance your wheel assembly since most/all trailer brake drums I've seen don't appear to be balanced, no weights or drilled holes. But they are smaller diameter to the effect of out of balance isn't near a great as out of diameter wheels.

Read # 3 again. If you have read as many posts as I have about trailer tires you may agree with me the most common failure on trailer tires is tread separation!!![emoticon]

I use balance beads in my trailer tires to take care of the unbalance due to the brake drums not being balanced.

I also do not have any problems with things moving around or drawers opening in my trailer.

All rotating objects need to be balanced.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree the tires should be balanced and the brake drum too since the RV industry does not do a very good job of turning them to spin true on center like the auto industry.

A few sets of tires ago I had the local tire dealer mount them & bought the balancing "if" they would use a hub to balance by the lugs. They said yes and I said OK and sat in the waiting area and watched through the window. As I look out, sure enough the tech puts it on the machine using the center hole.

So I asked the service manager where is the hub? He said the one he had did not fit so they were balancing by the center hole. I attempted to explained that my steel rims are stamped and not machined to the bore and the lugs both hold the wheel on and take the weight, No hub to hold the load. He then says, we normally do not balance trailer wheels. OK, pull the weights off, deduct the change and we will move on. He told the tech who shook his head too but I didn't want them on there wrong.

Went home with my 5 new Denman's at the time and did some more research. I ordered Dnya Beads. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

When they came I pulled out my farthers old tire machine buried in the corner of the shop and put the beads in.

I used the larger truck beads, they look like this in a pack
[image]

I weigh them out for my size tire,
[image]

[image]

Then pour in the tire. You can buy the mini beads that pour in the tire valve if you want to. No need to even take the wheel off the trailer.
[image]

They work well and balance the drum and tire and I can move the tires to any location and they are still in balance.

I know there are thousands of RV's with unbalanced tires, just like there are thousands of RV'er with no shock's either etc etc. I can't change the RV industry. But I can and did change my own TT running gear. New axles with adjustable axle seats for alignment, upgraded # 10 gage wire to each brake coil, self adjusting brakes, stiffened spring hanger mounts, real shocks by Monroe, grease-able spring bushings, rubber equalizer, LT tires with metal valve stems and lastly balancing beads.

A lot of this was needed because the hangers were welded on wrong and the axles made wrong. I planed on keeping this camper a good long time plus I did all the work myself so only parts were the cost.

A wheel spinning 60 mph down the road will run true'er, smoother be better on the wheel bearings and the tires when balanced.

If you want to see Dyna beads in action, see this video by a biker guy. They use these on motorcycles a lot as well along with large truck tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Hope this helps the cause if someone is looking for options.

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Balance the tires

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a teen the gas station had a machine that would spin the wheel on the car to balance them. Are these still around?

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/13 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

I always have mine balanced, however I've never seen a trailer mfg that balances tires.

Why balance??

Not in an priority order:

three: An out of balance tire gets the belts hammered every rotation. many tire mfg claim that a leading cause of belt failure and seperation is not having the tires balanced.

Unfortunetly balancing the tires won't completely balance your wheel assembly since most/all trailer brake drums I've seen don't appear to be balanced, no weights or drilled holes. But they are smaller diameter to the effect of out of balance isn't near a great as out of diameter wheels.

Read # 3 again. If you have read as many posts as I have about trailer tires you may agree with me the most common failure on trailer tires is tread separation!!![emoticon]

I use balance beads in my trailer tires to take care of the unbalance due to the brake drums not being balanced.

I also do not have any problems with things moving around or drawers opening in my trailer.

All rotating objects need to be balanced.

yes i believe they should be balanced, what I said in my post was reasons why you should balance tires. #3 is a good reason to balance. And I always balance my tires.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Balancing TT tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.