|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog in truck bed using regular crate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
CHD Dad

Upstate, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone. I had a question and searched but found random threads...

Anyone travel with their dog in the truck bed with a regular wire crate that is strapped down? My TV is in my sig. We have 3 kids - 5, 3, 1 that sit back there all in car seats of course. We used to own 3 dogs but the last passed away around 2 yrs ago. When we had just our last dog (60#) we had room for him on the floor of the back with the kids. Now our kids are bigger and we just adopted a pound puppy. He is 9 months old and a mastiff mix. He currently weighs in at 55# and is gaining weight! My boys are only going to get bigger as will our dog so space will rapidly run out back there. Plus right now we store the baby's bottle, snacks and all of that fun stuff on the long trips.

We have a bed cover on the truck but I could pull that off and put a crate back there. My neighbor hunts with his lab and has one of those huge aluminum crates that look like an armored house that bolts down. That would take up almost all my bed space so its not really an option plus the cost was pretty insane. We have a very sturdy wire crate we use in the house (he is crate trained). Can I use that or one of the plastic airline crates if its strapped down with ratchet straps? I would use the airline crate if weather was cool or wet and the wire when its nice out.

I know putting him in the TT is a supposed no-no, even crated. Plus I dont think our big crate would fit when its all closed up. We have always camped with our dogs and would hate to kennel him but we need some more room soon! TV is paid off and we love it so a new TV is out plus I dont know of many TV's with more room other than something like a 2500 Burb or Excursion and I dont want either.

Open to other suggestions.

2012 FR Surveyor Sport 295
2015 Nissan NVP 3500 SL 5.6L
Tekonsha P3 / "New" Blue Ox Sway Pro

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum dog boxes are the most secure (locks on doors), provide the best protection in crashes and from the weather (insulated and ventilated) for trasporting dogs in the bed of a truck.

Don't use a wire crate in the bed of the truck, it won't give much protection from debris, weather, or in the event of a crash.

A secured airline crate, IMO, is the second best way to transport dogs in the bed of a truck; for cold or wet weather get a crate cover. Cabella sells a Collapsible Aluminum Crate; but I don't know how well it would do in a crash.

Dogs can be transported safely in a secured crate in a TT; animal rescue orgs do it all the time. They are called mobile adoption units (converted RVs or cargo trailers) which have secured metal crates and environmental controls.

Google search: "mobile pet adoption unit trailer image"

Mark

* This post was edited 03/07/13 09:21am by BCSnob *

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 cents. We consider the dogs that live with us as family. Would I put a family member in a crate, in a truck bed? No. Would I buy a vehicle that properly accomodates all the members of my family? I would and I have.
I know people have traveled with dogs on the roof, in the trunk,in the RV, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to ask for suggestions.

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/13 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would NOT put any dog in a TT while traveling. As far as properly secured in the back of the truck, I would think that if you had a cap, I would say there probably wouldn't be an issue. But, with the wind, noise, and environmental factors of sun and rain, I wouldn't do that. I remember as a kid, traveling in the back of my friend's dad's pickup while towing the race car to the speedway. Remembering that, I wouldn't want a dog back there for hours at a time. Just my 2 cents.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

CHD Dad

Upstate, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New TV is out, already stated that. We have always treated out dogs as family as well and we had to spend many thousands of dollars on our Bulldog to keep him healthy (he lived to 12 so it must have worked!). That is still small change compared to a new TV plus me using that TV as a daily driver...

I'll check into that collapsible crate. I know a lot of people hunt with their dogs and take long trips with them in those crates. Thanks for the link. I will also look into a nice airline crate.

Barring both of those I guess we'll eventually need to kennel him. Didnt have good luck with two local kennels with our past dogs so we're trying to exhaust other options first.

Oh, I do not have a bed cap and wife hates those. I just have a tri-fold cover that I can remove.

cutty72

Fishing Country ND

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dogs regularly ride in crates strapped in the box of the pickup. They are safer there than roaming free in the passenger compartment of your vehicle.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/13 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a couple of states where this is illegal (tend not to be southern or western states). There have been some studies measuring the levels of Carbon Monoxide in a truck bed and they are universally above healthy levels. That being said, crated in the bed is certainly safer than tied or free to roam in the bed.

I'd think riding in a crate in the trailer would be safer if there were some way to arrange it.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (16-year-old Terrier of some sort)
Winnie 4 1/2 year old golden
Sasha and many others at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/13 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dr Doug,
what states prohibit transporting dogs crated in the bed of trucks?
Mark

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/13 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled for years with two dogs in airline crates secured in the bed of the truck. It worked out well for us. We were very fortunate to have never had an accident. As for them riding in a trailer - jheesh - no wonder some of those poor shelter dogs have frazzled nerves! But, ok, in jest, I said. The suspension on TT's and Fifth wheels today are very good and fairly smooth, but we wouldn't do it. Because we can and it's just the two of us, our dogs travel in the truck with us. Now with a third dog that will ride along, we are investing in good seatbelts for them, but tha's another thread.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

WyoTraveler

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/13 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CHD Dad wrote:

Hey everyone. I had a question and searched but found random threads...

Anyone travel with their dog in the truck bed with a regular wire crate that is strapped down? My TV is in my sig. We have 3 kids - 5, 3, 1 that sit back there all in car seats of course. We used to own 3 dogs but the last passed away around 2 yrs ago. When we had just our last dog (60#) we had room for him on the floor of the back with the kids. Now our kids are bigger and we just adopted a pound puppy. He is 9 months old and a mastiff mix. He currently weighs in at 55# and is gaining weight! My boys are only going to get bigger as will our dog so space will rapidly run out back there. Plus right now we store the baby's bottle, snacks and all of that fun stuff on the long trips.

We have a bed cover on the truck but I could pull that off and put a crate back there. My neighbor hunts with his lab and has one of those huge aluminum crates that look like an armored house that bolts down. That would take up almost all my bed space so its not really an option plus the cost was pretty insane. We have a very sturdy wire crate we use in the house (he is crate trained). Can I use that or one of the plastic airline crates if its strapped down with ratchet straps? I would use the airline crate if weather was cool or wet and the wire when its nice out.

I know putting him in the TT is a supposed no-no, even crated. Plus I dont think our big crate would fit when its all closed up. We have always camped with our dogs and would hate to kennel him but we need some more room soon! TV is paid off and we love it so a new TV is out plus I dont know of many TV's with more room other than something like a 2500 Burb or Excursion and I dont want either.

Open to other suggestions.

We gad a dog crate in the back of our pickup. Extra carpeting, food, water, dog toys. Only left dog in the back when we would be shopping for a short time. Other wise dog rode inside the pickup. When in CA the SPCA took our dog out of the pickup and put him in jail. They dropped all charges when we confronted them with a health certificate etc. However, in the process of stealing the dog out of the back of our pickup they crushed his sinus capillaries with their aggressive muzzle and then exposed him to spinal meningitis. Our dog almost died. If they hadn't dropped the charges and we had to go to court the dog would have died in their custody. We got the dog to a vet and he was on life support for 3 days but he did live although it was a slow recovery. The vet said their over reaching power just causes more problems to all pets. The SPCA has become over zealous in taking dogs. This was a healthy dog with all of his required tags plus home alone tag. JMHO be careful leaving your pet anyplace, especially if your are in CA. I might add my wife was gagging due to the dirty filthy conditions of the SPCA in Pomona, CA. In their custody for only 2 hours and he had fecal matter all over his body and looked terrible. They also had put a very aggressive choke collar on him that rubbed all the hair off his neck and it was raw bare skin.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Dog in truck bed using regular crate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.