Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Topic: Overweight and insurance

Posted By: ch-ta on 03/21/13 05:04pm

Haven't heard of any denied claims, however, found and interesting read on the www about it...

Another aspect of an overweight RV: the legal concerns if you are involved in an accident:
•Most insurance companies, lawyers, and law enforcement officers know that it is very common for an RV to be overloaded.
•Even if you are not at fault, just involved, an overweight condition could lead to a negative verdict as the overweight condition could be viewed as a contributing factor.
•Your share of liability could increase.
•Your insurance company could cancel coverage if you were operating the vehicle in violation of the ratings on the federal data plate in your RV.

Here is a link to the site if you want to read more...Clicky

2014 Bridgeview BV-40CK2BH (Park Model)

Posted By: NJRVer on 03/21/13 05:08pm

If there is a death involved they will be investigating every aspect in order to asign blame.
That is the case with any accident not just an RV.

Google "Chesterfield, NJ school bus accident"

One child killed and it happened to be a state troopers kid. The bus pulled out in front of a loaded dump truck and they still asigned blame to dump truck saying it was over loaded.
The thing was that the dump truck could have been empty and it still would have hit the bus.

Posted By: SuperDutyMan on 03/21/13 05:33pm

NJRVer wrote:

If there is a death involved they will be investigating every aspect in order to asign blame.

One child killed and it happened to be a state troopers kid. The bus pulled out in front of a loaded dump truck and they still asigned blame to dump truck saying it was over loaded.
The thing was that the dump truck could have been empty and it still would have hit the bus.
But...the truck was still insured and was paid for,buy his insurance co.,that's what the OP was asking....as someone that delt with this as a claims adj.,your vehicle is covered for accidental damage (if insured)it's no different than you going too fast on an icy road,or changing you fuel filter improperly and burning your car to the ground while in your garage,I'm sure if death or serious inj. in an accident with an overloaded anything,the lawsuits would fly on the liability side,but the vehicles are still covered..

2011 Palomino Sabre 31RETS,5th Wheel,Triple Slide,4000W Onan Genset
2006 Super Duty,XLT, V10, 6 Speed, 4.10, Tow Command, Tow Pkg. 4X4,Dual Exhaust,K&N,Reese 15K,Air Bags

Posted By: thomasmnile on 03/21/13 06:25pm

Bumpyroad wrote:

out of curiosity, exactly how and why would it make the papers in the first place? I'm trying to think of any lawsuit that I have read about in the paper and can't come up with one.
bumpy

I saw a story in the Daytona News Journal yesterday about a guy suing Budweiser for selling him watered down beer........[emoticon]

Posted By: Bionic Man on 03/21/13 06:54pm

Read your insurance policy. If something isn't specifically excluded, there is coverage.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Posted By: time2roll on 03/21/13 07:02pm

Insurance will pay. You might get cancelled after but they will pay.

Now if you specifically grossly overload in order to cause an accident or claim that is different.

Insurance will also pay when drunk and or speeding and we all know that is illegal.

If the claim is above your insured limits you are on your own.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Posted By: NJRVer on 03/21/13 07:12pm

SuperDutyMan wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

But...the truck was still insured and was paid for,buy his insurance co.,that's what the OP was asking....as someone that delt with this as a claims adj.,your vehicle is covered for accidental damage (if insured)it's no different than you going too fast on an icy road,or changing you fuel filter improperly and burning your car to the ground while in your garage,I'm sure if death or serious inj. in an accident with an overloaded anything,the lawsuits would fly on the liability side,but the vehicles are still covered..

I agree with you[emoticon]
The topic strayed so far off from OP I figured I would throw in "local" to me story about overweight death accident.

Posted By: Wadcutter on 03/21/13 07:33pm

Before people ask these kinds of questions they should think about what they're asking and learn a bit about the law. Legal axle weights are generally 20,000 on a single axle and 34,000 on a tandem axle. Does anyone really think they are hauling over 20,000 lbs on a single axle or over 34,000 lbs on the 5er?
Just FYI - yeah, I know what I'm talking about. For over 35 years I have been weighing trucks, taught truck weight enforcement and commanded the largest fine producing scales in the state.
You're no where near over the legal weight limits with your 5er.

Camped in every state

Posted By: restlesswind on 03/21/13 07:40pm

I would suggest a click here (OK, a cut and paste.)

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20577181.cfm

There is enough information to keep anybody busy for a while.
Its a clickie at the "Tow Vehicle Section" Been there for a few years,but most of us miss it.

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Posted By: Lantley on 03/21/13 08:13pm

Insurance will pay basically all accidents up to the limits of the policy once liability is assigned providing there is no fraud or specific exclusions involved.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Print  |  Close
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next